Sidestand stopper for non-OEM exhaust silencers - your suggestions please
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sidestand stopper for non-OEM exhaust silencers - your suggestions please

Sidestand stopper for non-OEM exhaust silencers - your suggestions please

Two of my bikes have non-OEM silencers - the CA and the 450 in case you were wondering. In both cases, the silencers are fairly generic and only have mounting points/lugs welded into them. The problem I've got is that neither have any provision for the side stands when folded up. Looking at images of stock bikes, the CA has a cut out for the side-stand to fold up into, whereas the 450 has a stopper mounting. With mine, the side stands end up resting against the mufflers, and in the case of the 450, I've now got a dent in the muffler outer.

So as the title of this thread says, I'm looking for ideas for mounting some sort of stopper against the mufflers. I've tried searching for suggestions on the interwebs but turned up nothing, largely because search engines seem to ignore the stopper bit of the text, and I just get lots of links for either exhausts or side-stands.

Anyway, I think I could weld up a mount similar to that found on the 450 originals bent out of stainless, but I don't really fancy trying to weld anything onto the chromed muffler skins. I suspect I'd need to remove the chrome before I did that (not really something I'm keen on) and although I've got access to a TIG welder, I'm nowhere near competent enough with it to make it look remotely attractive.

Consequently, I'm thinking of two options right now. The first is to make a stopper mount out of stainless and attach it using something mechanical like blind rivets. Assuming the rivets are stainless, I can probably make it look pretty neat. The other alternative is to put a rivnut through the outer and then attach some kind of stopper to that with a bolt, maybe something like one of the felt feet you can get for furniture on hardwood floors.

But before I get too hung up on those, I'm interested to hear if anyone else has encountered/had to overcome this issue, and if so, what did you do/use? Does anyone make anything like this already and if so, who/where?

Show us what you've got . . .
    CL77 (1966)
    CA77 (1966)
    SL350 K0 (1969)

SL350 K2 (1971)
    CB450 K6 (1972)
    CB750 K2 (1972)

Why not put the stopper on your stand, not the muffler?
    Bill Lane
    Honda Twins Founding Member

No advice, just info

'75 CB200T, '71 CB450 K4 Half-Breed, '72 CL350 (Sold), '81 CM200T, '72 C70M
    and a little red Chineeze scooter

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cb450-restoration

Quote Originally Posted by tbpmusic View Post
    That's what I did for my center stand. I used a piece of auto heater hose, heated so it would stretch over the stand, and rest against the muffler. I tried gluing a slice of hose to the side stand, but it didn't last long.
    Rick

Mine is a mostly 1970 CB450K3

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Sorry - should have mentioned that I've tried that using several sleeve-type applications (including oversized heat shrink around hosepipe) and they didn't work for two reasons. The first was that pretty much whatever I used ended up just melting against the muffler. The second was that the part of the side stand that rests against the muffler is the plate/foot end, and since that's what the bike stands on, whatever material I used there either wore though (if it hadn't melted off previously) or compromised the sidestand stability.

I guess I could strap some kind of stopper against the kickstand, but that still leaves me with the problem that anything rubber resting directly against the muffler will almost certainly end up melting.
    CL77 (1966)
    CA77 (1966)
    SL350 K0 (1969)

SL350 K2 (1971)
    CB450 K6 (1972)
    CB750 K2 (1972)

Senior Member Carnivorous Chicken's Avatar
    If it's the sidestand, what about a hose clamp around the frame tube, just behind where the sidestand mounts, to prevent full travel? I guess it would be easier on the 450, maybe not so much for the CA but maybe it would work around the sidestand?
    1965 CL160 project
    1966 CB77 project
    1968 CL175 sloper
    1969 CB160
    1972 Yamaha CS3 (sold!)
    1973 CB350F (Red)
    1973 CB350F (Green)
    1973 CB350F (green) project
    1975 CB400F engine in a 1973 350F frame
    1975 CB550K
    1977 CB400F
    Various jumbled bits and pieces...

That's an idea. I just cut a short length of heater hose to strap to the stand, below the pivot and behind the spring, so it hits the frame before the foot hits the muffler. The hard part will be keeping it there.
    Rick

An attachment point could easily be welded to the stand no chrome to mess up, easily painted.
    Bill Lane
    Honda Twins Founding Member

No advice, just info

'75 CB200T, '71 CB450 K4 Half-Breed, '72 CL350 (Sold), '81 CM200T, '72 C70M
    and a little red Chineeze scooter

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cb450-restoration

OK, I pierced both sides so I could put a cable tie through the hose, then strapped it to the stand, near the pivot point. It works great, but there's nothing to keep it from rotating on the stand, so just a proof of principle. I just need to come up with a stopper that will clamp to the stand, and not move around.
    Rick

Paint the area for the slotted hose with rubber cement, THEN apply and secure it......
    WintrSol likes this.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

I added a blob of weld on the part of the frame tab just behind the sidestand bolt. Seems like some kind of metal clip there would also serve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links