Bike electrics , i'm dying here. please help
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bike electrics , i'm dying here. please help

I have just rebuilt a 1980 CD 200 Benly, 6volt points ignition, trying to get it going again, worked before I stripped it.

here is what I have done so far. please bear with me.

1. connected up all wires, in the headlight bucket, and the rectifier ,stator, lights, when I turn on the ignition I get neutral light, no indicators working, when I press the start button I get nothing, no click or anything, I shorted the started solenoid, and the bike turns over, but no spark.

2. I have fitted a new solenoid, new 6 volt battery (fully charged) , but this has made no difference. no joy from the start button, or spark when it turns over with the solenoid shorted.

3. I have fitted a new coil, to try to get spark, no difference.

4. I have used the Haynes manual to try and read the diagram , I think I've wired it correct, but obviously not. this it where I need some pointers.

5. fuse is ok.

6. I have checked the rectifier with a meter, and it seems to be ok.

is there anything obvious that I'm missing, is there a safety switch anywhere for the kickstand or the clutch, I didn't see anything in the manual, where do I go from here?

Give me a bit to type up a step by step troubleshoot for the UK version bike......Will post it here....Meanwhile, verify that your headlight/starter (right hand unit) is getting power to the Black wire.....and verify for me the two wire colors to the flasher module...Should be a GRAY and a BLACK......
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 09-12-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

will do once I get in from work, I will check, these things

thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

the horn doesn't work either

Is the grounding link from bottom of one handlebar riser to the meter bracket re-installed?
    (~4 1/2 inches of black wire with an 8mm ring terminal on one end, a 6mm ring on the other..)
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."

horn . works, sticky switch, ok so i have power to the right side switch, headlight works neutral light works ,rear light works, no starter still?

james

James,
    Unplug Yellow/red stripe wire back at the solenoid.....bike in neutral, key on ....ground solenoid end of that Y/R wire...
    Does grounding it activate solenoid?... Does the starter crank?
    IF Yes to both: wire from there to (and including) start button and its ground has the problem...Ground SHOULD be good as horn works.......
    IF solenoid activates but starter doesn't, Faulty contacts within solenoid.... Repair or Replace....
    If solenoid fails to activate (clunk) verify battery power to black solenoid wire......If power, bad solenoid......If no power, trace black wire connections.....
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 09-12-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Ground the yellow and red wire does start the starter. Where do I check next?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallsy View Post
    Ground the yellow and red wire does start the starter. Where do I check next?
    Well, you now know the solenoid works properly when the Yellow/red wire is grounded..... Plug it back into the harness and check it at its next juncture point inside the headlight shell (where it Might just be unplugged/dislodged) in the same manner, grounding the end coming from/leading back to the solenoid.... If it still works then the problem lies in the last wire leg (in the handlebars/up to the button), or the button switch itself........If NOT, there's a break in that yellow/red wire within the harness (maybe pinched/cut/broken at or by the fork stop)......
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 09-13-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Testing continuity from the red \ yellow wire from the solenoid side to the switch ground beeps. So ground is good.

Yellow/red from the loom side to the yellow / red at the switch continuity beeps here also. So no breaks here

I had one of the solenoid wires connected to the rear lights switch. Damn fool I am.

Getting it turning over now. And getting spark at plugs. But still not starting. Wondering if the new coil ht leads are round the wrong way. Waiting for battery to charge up to test this

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links