Have a butchers at these ... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Have a butchers at these ...

Wow. There's a lot of hate in some of these responses. Is this where Hondatwins is headed?
    1973 CB450
    1968 CL 175
    1991 KLR 250
    2008 Lance Vintage 150!

I don't think so... but I would imagine pretty much everyone here hates crappy work, and most of us aren't afraid to say so - especially by those who have salvaged a bike like one of those from the scrapyard because of the PO's pathetic "customizing"
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Quote Originally Posted by Twowheelrich View Post
    Wow. There's a lot of hate in some of these responses. Is this where Hondatwins is headed?
    That's a bit strong.

No hate here, just sadness at the waste. Fair enough if an otherwise junked bike has been given a new lease of life, but in at least some of these cases a perfectly decent bike has been ruined in order to create something that by its very nature is ephemeral.

Still, at least it'll increase the rarity factor for the 'investors' …….
    ancientdad likes this.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet
    1970 - 1972 Random heap of CB/CL/SL 175 parts, slowly being reassembled ..

As my dad said some people have more money than sense.

Bill
    ancientdad likes this.

Good point about the money issue.

If someone builds one of these things in their shed for their own use and amusement, I guess that's their choice, and their problem if and when it all goes horribly wrong.

However, there seems to be a cottage industry / band wagon to be jumped upon, people who are building these things with the idea of selling them on at a profit. I know some will defend this on the basis that they are just trying to earn a living, free enterprise and all that.

However, who or what is the target market ? I can't see that any self respecting motorcyclist would want to be seen on one, so it must be a lifestyle choice thing. So, probable buyer is likely to be a young(ish) person with little or no previous experience of biking, unlikely to have much in the way of mechanical skills. So, in addition to the mechanical problems and issues we all face when running a 30 - 50 year old motorcycle, they'll have to cope with the inevitable issues caused by the modifications that have been made.

And they'll face the challenge of riding on tyres that are not suitable for the job ( motocross knobblies on wet tarmac ? ), odd riding position and controls, offensively loud exhausts to upset parents and neighbours. Chances are this will put them off biking for life, and the bike will end up being scrapped or broken for parts. Except for the ones preserved as lawn ornaments.

And here in the UK, how on earth would you get insurance to legally ride one, insurance invalid if modifications not declared. And the MOT test …..
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet
    1970 - 1972 Random heap of CB/CL/SL 175 parts, slowly being reassembled ..

Some large alterations from standard going on there. It's all in the eye of the beholder of course but how could you be sure that these have been engineered properly? If you take a blowtorch to something that's cost a lot of money for very qualified people to design and build from the ground up, you have to know what you are doing. I'm sure some of these people do but my money would be spent with a global company that has full responsibility for what it produces.
    Honda CB200 x 2

^^^both excellent points - and I think it's a fad of sorts that a certain crowd sees as "cool" based on the look, and their inexperience with bikes overall keeps them from realizing the negatives of the design choices made to achieve that "cool"... meanwhile, the good used vintage bike pool decreases by the day
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links