So I was watching the big bicycle race....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: So I was watching the big bicycle race....

So I was watching the big bicycle race....

over there in France and I see this strange motorcycle with two front wheels ! No it was not a Can-Am. Turns out Yamaha is making this crazy three wheeler called a Niken. Watched a couple of vids about it on the you tube. Maybe this is old news to everyone but me, but I thought I'd mention it. Like all new motorcycles, I'm sure it's impossible for the average person to work on and has too many computers in it. Stupid expensive, too.

Everything is super expensive nowadays. I would like to own one of those new Super Cubs for little getting around and maybe for the wife, but at 4000. No.
    Living It Up On The Down Side

^^^same as the reborn Z-50, now 125cc... so cool looking, but at around $4000 it's the same story. I watch car commercials (notice how the only things they show related to price are the possible payments/interest rate or the amount off the full sticker price?) and I wonder... who can actually afford one? Everybody must be in the recurring lease program now, since the lease payment is cheaper but you can't break the cycle or you have nothing.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

With all these “trikes”.. I used to say. “WHY”... do people REALY have that much trouble with 2 wheels..then I thought about people with disabilities that can no longer or never could handle a 2 wheel motorcycle and want to experience life to its fullest..
    I say “bravo”... take advantage of today’s technology to experience a new level in life...
    Last edited by Rob Axel; 07-20-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    "Yes, my hands and nails have grease stains. I ride vintage!"
    -xulf13-

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Axel View Post
    With all these “trikes”.. I used to say. “WHY”... do people REALY have that much trouble with 2 wheels..then I thought about people with disabilities that can no longer or never could handle a 2 wheel motorcycle and want to experience life to its fullest..
    I say “bravo”... take advantage of today’s technology to experience a new level in life...
    I had a buddy 30+ years ago who was a Harley guy through and through, but worked at a Honda shop (I mean, he totally lived and looked the H-D part - chain drive wallet, Buck knife always on his belt, ABATE stickers everywhere). He got hit in the side on his way home from work one day and lost one of his lower legs... kept his Harley and eventually got back to work, switched to the parts department, picked up a sidecar for his bike and rode for the rest of his life.
    Rob Axel, OldTwinsRock and Bill H like this.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

There's a few Nikens around here, I saw one at the filling station a few weeks back.

They aren't really designed for disabled folks, they lean over just like a conventional bike, twin front forks on a sort of parallelogram arrangement, purely mechanical, no computers involved. Mechanism can be locked at standstill, so you can be feet up in traffic. Bike is narrow enough to filter in traffic, aka lane splitting on your side of the pond.

The supposed reason for its existence is front end grip, supposed to be very difficult to fall off by loosing the front in slippery conditions.

No, I can't see the point either.
    OldTwinsRock and ancientdad like this.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet
    1970 - 1972 Random heap of CB/CL/SL 175 parts, slowly being reassembled ..

So while we're on the subject of "why ?"... Some of you may have wondered why my avatar is an Amish buggy. Or maybe I explained already and forgot. Forgive me if I'm repeating my stories. It happens. This was one of those "bought by accident" at auction thingy's.
    I was there for the rock crusher that went way too high. I was also keeping an eye on a gravity grain wagon for a buddy who couldn't attend. Towards the end I also had an eye on a three point PTO cutoff saw. But this buggy was going to go rediculously cheap, ($75), so I raised my hand and got it for a Ben. So it's not the first, and probably won't be the last time I've done this. I thought I might flip it (they sell for more as yard ornaments). But then I got to thinking....."Horseless E-buggy" ! Totally doable, solar panels on top for charging the batts. These things are light weight. Now you might ask, why not just get a horse ? I'd rather tinker with motors, belts and such. Horses got minds of their own, and often resent being told what to do and where to go. Been there, done that. But this is one of those bucket list back burner projects that won't get done any time soon, if ever. Just a pipe dream....but doable. Why ? Why not I say !

... because you can..
    "Yes, my hands and nails have grease stains. I ride vintage!"
    -xulf13-

Lane splitting? This side of the pond??? We don't even have it in Canadia, too many angry city drivers and way too much draconian police force influence for that. Them motorcyclers can wait their dang turns. I'm sure the story is similar across much of North America.

Cool idea about the e-buggy, although I'm guessing a horse will recharge faster than the batteries if solar is the only input
    OldTwinsRock likes this.
    1980 CB400T - 1 running, 1 parts bike
    1965 CB160 - 1 kind of running, 1 parts bike

The Niken was designed for more rider security in turns and superior braking. It does not feature a locking mechanism on the articulated front suspension like the Piaggio scooters and will fall over when stopped just like a two wheeler if you don't put a foot down.The Tour de France chose it this year to provide an extra bit of safety in the twisty stages. We'll see if they continue to use them in the future or if it's a passing gimick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links