Tire Age Poll

View Poll Results: Does tire age concern you?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 64.29%
  • No

1 3.57%
  • Depends on condition

9 32.14%
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JCW
  • 1 Post By Rob Axel

Thread: Tire Age Poll

Tire Age Poll

I have a Yamaha XT350 that I picked up last December (2018)

The PO had just put new tires on it, but after looking at them they have date codes for 2013. Obviously they had been sitting around for a few years. They still had the nubs all over them

I am putting new tires on the bike, for other reasons than age, and was thinking of selling the current ones as they have less than 50 miles on them and I figure someone could still use them. The tires have like new tread and NO checking or cracking.

So, would you consider buying these tires??

If it helps, they are pretty aggressive dirt oriented tires, so assume less highway use and more low speed trails.
    Last edited by jimdubs; 06-13-2019 at 03:28 PM. Reason: new info

JCW
    Personally, no. If I’m going to the trouble and possibility of scratching my rims for a tire change, I go with fresh dated ( less than 6 months from manufacture), new tires every time. Opinions vary if the window of safe use closes at 5, 10 or 12 years old, but I use 5 years or tread depth and overall condition for deciding when to change them.
    Brent likes this.
    1971 CL450K4

Mods, perhaps we could move this poll to general off topic, I didn't intend to post it in one of the cc specific subforms
    Last edited by J-T; 06-13-2019 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Done

Tough question. These days, liability is a big consideration. However, if they are dirt, not highway, that's a little grey. "Free, with liability release".New owner promises to hang on wall as decoration. Sorry.... Couple of beers in me.....ill take 'em if you ship em.
    Best,
    P.s. J.K.
    Last edited by OldTwinsRock; 06-13-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Most things I have seen/read about tire age say 5-7 years for tires. I doubt I would pay for tires that old but I probably would mount and use them for a year or two(especially for non road use) if I already had em or got them for free.
    1981 Honda CX500D
    1974 Honda CB450
    1986 Yamaha Radian 600

Martha's Vineyard Ma

I think "exposure" may play a larger role with this.. if u ride ur bike on a weekly basis..ABSOLUTLY.. I'm sure tread will dictate that by itself.. kinda hard to justify a new set of sneakers for ur ride that lives in a garage, and gets taken out every other weekend for a "nice day for a ride..." especially if it's just for short "hops".. highway riding.. that is a whole other animal!!
    Alan F. likes this.
    "Yes, my hands and nails have grease stains. I ride vintage!"
    -xulf13-

I just checked the date codes on the tyres on my Hornet.

Turns out that they will be six years old this October, so I should be thinking about replacements, even though they show minimal wear in the 4100 miles that they have been on the bike. Bike lives in a cold dark garage, tyre walls look as new.

Michelin Pilot Road 3, bought for the all weather capability that I haven't used for the last few years. They are wearing incredibly well, in the past I've gone through a set of Avons in under 2000 miles, and my Bridgestones would be worn down to replacement level at 3 - 4k miles, and I don't think that my riding has slowed down that much to date.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet
    1970 - 1972 Random heap of CB/CL/SL 175 parts, slowly being reassembled ..

Sponsored Links