Timing is EVERYTHING, not just setting an ignition .. - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Timing is EVERYTHING, not just setting an ignition ..

How dare I do that without putting it in a glass. I will have that citrus ale I made a few weeks ago in a keg tomorrow its had 2 weeks to think. Another week in the fridge chilling and carbing will do it well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by frogman79; 06-30-2019 at 12:45 AM.
    Franz >>> 450 build >>>360 Build

Cool.. like it.. looks good..
    Wife is leaving for a trip today.. gotta transfer the other batch of lager to a keg.. curious if it has the same off aroma?.. got the ingredients for "Devils Backbone Vienna Lager".. might brew it this week..gonna order the yeast I used before. See what's what..
    "Yes, my hands and nails have grease stains. I ride vintage!"
    -xulf13-

Ok... now I'm friggn P.O.ed.... my wife out of town with her mother.. no wait it gets better. They are in Memphis..having a "good ole time". I'm at work, 100+ degrees got swamp a** in my shorts.. and she starts sending me pics from "Graceland". No big right? WRONG!
    Apparently "Barber Museum" has a traveling exhibit .. and it's now at Graceland..
    hence the reasoning for my "bad attitude"...
    Never knew Elvis owned a Black Bomber ...
    -xulf13-

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Axel View Post
    Apparently "Barber Museum" has a traveling exhibit .. and it's now at Graceland..
    hence the reasoning for my "bad attitude"...
    Never knew Elvis owned a Black Bomber ...
    Never knew that myself... nor did I know that Barber has a traveling museum, but truthfully I'm not surprised - he's one smart guy. And of course, your motorcycle-oriented wife enjoys it as much as you would... guess that sword cuts both ways, huh...
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Here is some pics.. she sent s great video.. to long to uploadTiming is EVERYTHING, not just setting an ignition ..-img_8680.jpgTiming is EVERYTHING, not just setting an ignition ..-img_8678.jpgTiming is EVERYTHING, not just setting an ignition ..-img_8677.jpg
    ancientdad likes this.
    -xulf13-

Timing is EVERYTHING, not just setting an ignition ..-img_8681.jpgTiming is EVERYTHING, not just setting an ignition ..-img_8682.jpgIcing on the cake.. gotta dump the 10 gallons I brewed.. the second batch had a FUNK smell to it.. and something growing on the surface. The "off smell" I got from the first batch.. hasn't subsided.. had a couple pulls, didn't get sick or anything .. not gonna chance it. Time to slow down my brewing process ..
    This is the first batch I've "lost"... and it was the beer got me into brewing...
    -xulf13-

Anything that grows in beer while it is fermenting is not supposed to be harmful to humans, least from all the reading I have done about lambics and sour beers. That does actually look like a wild infection or possible Pellicle from a lactobacillus which is not that bad as that is the beginning of a sour which are very interesting beers if you have never had one. As long as there is no GREEN or BROWN/GREY mold on it it may not be bad.

Here is some reading on what I'm talking about https://phdinbeer.com/2015/01/30/beer-microbiology-what-is-a-pellicle/

What kind of off smells? As long as it is not terrible lots of threads I have read brewers will clear off enough of the skin and siphon out from under it into a fresh fermenter and see what happens with it.

I've had a few batches get infected with wild yeast. I just got as much as I could out of the fermenter I could once it hit the gravity I wanted and got it bottled and carbed up and in the fridge fast. They all tasted fine, just have to go quick as the wild yeast can clear out what is left of the sugars and make for a very dry beer.

Always a crappy day when that happens though. I dumped a couple batches when I lived in OK, there was some very strong wild yeast in the area and I had to be very careful about the weather the day I put things in fermenters. If the wind blew I waited a day. So far nothing has happened here however all the batches I've done this year its either been raining or snowing the day I brewed and I transfer in the house usually.
    OldTwinsRock likes this.

It's a sharp / sour almost dirty sock smell.. all the beers I made, I could lift the airlock or top and "enjoy" the smell.. this, that's a big fat NO!...
    I think I rushed it, plus it was a new yeast, I've got some other stuff in the fridge.. it's just grains an hops.. it just SUCKS! I have been waiting for this..
    Live and learn....
    -xulf13-

I've been meaning to "ruin" a beer just to see what I could come up with. I like a good sour now and then, goes really well with a sharp cheese and good crunchy bread preferably sourdough. The gym sock smell reminds me of a well aged Sasion, some of those can get really funky but man are they good and potent too.

It does suck, I do hope my first full all grain made at the new house turns out ok. It went in the keg and into the fridge on Moday. Pulled the lid off the fermenter and instantly smelled the house up with orange peal.

DO make sure to bleach wash everything that touches that beer though, those infections can be hard to get rid of.

Timing is EVERYTHING, not just setting an ignition ..-437861e2-86d5-49ff-bf5e-a51a087f1a69.jpg
    I THINK I found the culprit.. me not cleaning my fermenter correctly..(actually it’s a bottling bucket)..
    Frogman, I talked to the head guru at the home brew shop.. told him what was going on. I did tell him the “smell” subsided in the first batch (on-tap) but it now has a off flavor. He asked f I had any “extra kegs”.. I said yeah why.. he said keep it a while.. there is no air in the keg, what’s the difference if u dump it now or 3months from now..
    We discussed mold growing in aging barrels, how it “settles out”..and like you said “nothing will grow in it that will hurt you”..
    I HAD to dump the second batch, smelled like a lockeroom...
    broke out a new fermenting bucket,
    Oh, hey .. how was ur 4th and the ribs??
    -xulf13-

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links