and it keeps getting better

"Decent chrome, some of the rubber is torn up"... wow

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB900...cAAMXQbflSNwJE

most fun I've had searching eBay in a while
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Someone needs to lay off the sauce....

Sauce or no sauce, it's pretty easy to see what those parts really are when you look at the links, and it's also pretty easy to see they have no clue what they're selling by the way they describe them. I simply assumed it would be entertaining to anyone with some mechanical knowledge and some Honda experience
    oupa likes this.
    Tom

25k+ sales....looked at the first page of feedback. All bike parts...makes no sense. Disgruntled employee, or drunk at the puter is my guess.

And then there's this :
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3PC-5x2...MAAMXQdm5RAQBl

.8 thread is modern standard metric, right ? I bought some. From a vintage bike shop not on EBay. And they are wrong. Maybe they just figure I'll just power them in and not know the diff.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Sauce or no sauce, it's pretty easy to see what those parts really are...
    Three weeks ago I saw something I could use on ebay. Not something I NEEDED, but something I could use listed as 3 pieces (a standard set) for the same price everyone else was selling individual pieces for. I jumped on it! Several days later I received the package and it was ONE piece. I double checked the listing to make sure I hadn't made the mistake. Nope, there they were, still for sale, three for $12 and change - shipped! I had kind of assumed when it arrived that the listing was a mistake, but it was his mistake. I'm a reasonable guy though and at that point all I wanted was an acknowledgement that he'd screwed up and I'd have let bygones be bygones. After all, I still got my money's worth.

I sent the seller a message and an hour later got a VERY smart arsed reply about how they are $12 each all over ebay and he couldn't afford to ship three for $12, blah, blah, blah.

I checked the listing again and sure enough it now said ONE for $12!

I messaged back that I had checked the listing before contacting him and it was 3/$12, AND that I knew he'd changed the listing after getting my 1st message.

Hmmmm, his next reply had a very different tone, but he was still making excuses. Blamed the mistaken listing on some high school kids he claimed to be providing work experience to and his wife for changing the listing that morning without his knowledge. He did offer to send me two more but I called BS on his story and let him off the hook anyway. Whether it was an honest mistake or not, it really gets under my skin when someone like that tries to lie their way out.

I used to save a screen shot of the listing when I ordered something from ebay until I was satisfied with the item. I got out of that eventually. Guess I'll start doing it again.
    "They're not like cars with a body that rusts out in a few years. Keep them tuned and overhauled and they'll last as long as you do. Probably longer." - Robert Pirsig

So this seller got back to me and said Honda used the .8 pitch screws in the later ca's and .9's on the earlier ones. I do know mine falls in the early '65 ....I think. I'm not sure of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by oupa View Post
    Three weeks ago I saw something I could use on ebay. Not something I NEEDED, but something I could use listed as 3 pieces (a standard set) for the same price everyone else was selling individual pieces for. I jumped on it! Several days later I received the package and it was ONE piece. I double checked the listing to make sure I hadn't made the mistake. Nope, there they were, still for sale, three for $12 and change - shipped! I had kind of assumed when it arrived that the listing was a mistake, but it was his mistake. I'm a reasonable guy though and at that point all I wanted was an acknowledgement that he'd screwed up and I'd have let bygones be bygones. After all, I still got my money's worth.

I sent the seller a message and an hour later got a VERY smart arsed reply about how they are $12 each all over ebay and he couldn't afford to ship three for $12, blah, blah, blah.

I checked the listing again and sure enough it now said ONE for $12!

I messaged back that I had checked the listing before contacting him and it was 3/$12, AND that I knew he'd changed the listing after getting my 1st message.

Hmmmm, his next reply had a very different tone, but he was still making excuses. Blamed the mistaken listing on some high school kids he claimed to be providing work experience to and his wife for changing the listing that morning without his knowledge. He did offer to send me two more but I called BS on his story and let him off the hook anyway. Whether it was an honest mistake or not, it really gets under my skin when someone like that tries to lie their way out.

I used to save a screen shot of the listing when I ordered something from ebay until I was satisfied with the item. I got out of that eventually. Guess I'll start doing it again.
    Funny you should mention an eBay experience like that... I have one of my own recently. I found this ad showing a group of 6 valve covers and 4 baffle plates for $30, so I jumped on it. A few days later I get my box and in it, one of each. Nowhere in the listing did he say "sold as each" or make any reference to the fact that they all aren't for sale for $30, leading me to believe that this is one of those lucky finds like pemdoc got with his NOS 450 cylinder head late at night for $50. So I proceed to email him within eBay to get some satisfaction, and here is the exchange

Me - "You need to properly write the accurate information for what you are selling. The picture of 6 valve covers and 4 baffle plates implies that you are selling all of them for the price advertised - and yet you don't describe what you're selling as a single valve cover with a single baffle plate when purchased. I would not have bothered if I'd known that what you showed in the picture was NOT what you were going to send me, I can find them often for that price or less in single quantity. I just opened the box today and I am not at all happy with your bait and switch tactics... I saw what you showed in your ad, and NOWHERE did you post anything to describe how much of what was in the picture you were selling for the price - leaving the average person to assume THEY ARE BUYING WHAT YOU ARE DISPLAYING AS "FOR SALE". You're either going to do something for me to adjust for this "slight of hand", whether intentional or not, or you'll be getting a very negative review."

Him - "you had an option on how many you want , it states four available. I'm sorry you didn't know that. I was not trying to pull anything over you or anyone.
    in the box has my card please call me and we can work it out or if prefer all can be written out here. Thanks Guy" (note - commas help interpretation - I'm not "Guy", he is - that's why we have them in language... mix one in now and then)

Me - "Sure, I had an option - to buy WHAT WAS SHOWN IN THE PICTURE, which you did not describe properly nor explain that the picture SHOWED ALL AVAILABLE, SOLD AS EACH. Your lack of properly marketing the product does not constitute a mistake on my part, go to a Publix Super Market and get something from the shelf that shows a price of $5 and take it to the register and when it rings up for $10, you tell them the shelf shows $5... they send someone to look at the mis-marked shelf and confirm it, and THEY GIVE IT TO YOU. They don't just make the correction after the fact. You showed a picture with 6 covers and 4 plates and NOWHERE did you explain that for $30 you'd only be getting one of each. You didn't explain anything, which is why we're having this conversation... I've bought a lot of stuff on eBay for my 450 project over the last 2+ years and NEVER had to argue with anyone. Either you send me at least one more cover and plate, or you give back $15... or, I tell the world that your descriptions are misrepresentative and misleading, and that you not only won't make it right, you refuse to admit that you did it intentionally. Your choice."

Him - "I’ll refund you 15.00"

yet somehow the listing is still exactly the same... shows 1 sold, 3 available - in a picture of 6 and 4 of each item

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223491007772?ul_noapp=true
    Tom

Actually, if the listing *is* exactly the same, there is that little box right above the price. You can change that from 1 to 2, or four, or 6.
    It calculates the total price when you hit the buy button. Now for clarity, the seller should state that the price is for one pair or whatever to avoid cornfusion like that.
    Best,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links