EV conversions
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: EV conversions

Lightbulb EV conversions

Am I even allowed to bring this up around here?

Let’s face it folks EV is the future. I feel like over time the tinkering communities will start to pick up in that area. I know there will be some cars / bikes that should totally remain 100% original for the sake of history but we should have fun with the junkers. I’m very interested in this and I’d start experimenting in a heartbeat if funds were available (certainly not cheap). I can totally see a section that exist within these forums for EV conversions. Sure we wouldn’t have many working on this now but perhaps in the future. I’m thinking out loud here. what do you guys think?

I’d like to link the budget instructables / projects here from other sites if the bikes didn’t look offensive. I know if this whole EV thing got some traction form actual motorcycle people we’d make way better looking bikes.

here is an example
    1978 CB125s
    2000 Nighthawk 250

It looks like a nice job, for sure... but the chain needs to be replaced (or shortened, if new). And what's in that "gas tank"?
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Its probably full of charge controller and wiring.
    The other option to a chain drive is a Hubmotor. Basically an electric drive motor is housed in the rear hub, size is similar to a large drum brake and a hydraulic disc brake is employed.

Imagine...cruising along to the sound of nothing ... lol. Not for me thanks.
    TOOLS1 and saganaga like this.
    1979 CM400T (rider),
    1979 CM400T (resting)
    1980 CM400T (just picked up in pieces)
    1981 CM400T (in surgery receiving transplant)
    1982 CM450 (donor engine for 81)
    1982 CB450 (parts bike)
    1985 VT1100C (rider)

Past rides: Vincents, Triumph, BSA's, Suzuki's, Twingle, Corgy, others.

Remember, today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.
    My chest fell, but, fortunately, my belt caught it.
    I don't know everything, nor, have I met the one who does.

I know... it's kinda cool, but weird at the same time. Just wind noise, like in this video of me riding my buddy Don's Zero dual sport around Barber the last day we were there in 2016... well, maybe a little chain and gear noise too, but mostly wind

Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

I think electric bikes are great. I love to take my buddies Auranthetic for a ride every now and then, I have even tried to talk him out of it. But what do you mean by this " if the bikes didn’t look offensive."? That picture of a bike you posted offends me. It looks like a turd. I know some people might just love it though. So who is going to be censoring these projects you wish to link here?
    TOOLS

I can make all the engine noise I need with my mouth.
    ancientdad likes this.
    1975 500T
    1971 CL450
    1970 Norton Commando S

I tee totally agree that EV is the future. It may not be THE BEST choice, but the choice has already been made for us.

I would also love to see a tinkering forum for such projects. HOWEVER...
    As I recently mentioned in another thread suggesting a new category here at HT's, for such a thing to prosper it needs activity. Since the 90's I've watched as this or that forum came and went. Some were incredibly useful, but as activity decreased there was only so much usefulness in those old posts. The result was exponential loss of interest (and use) and eventually they just folded their tent(s). Innovation evolves into common knowledge and user interests shift to other things... It costs money and especially TAKES TIME to run these things! I'm eternally grateful to those who do it. Even so, while it can be seen seasonally here, interest overall seems to be shifting away from "forum-type" websites. The more specialized the site, the smaller the original audience and more likely it is to suffer from diminished use or lost interest.

No. As a devout tinkerer and as much as I'd like to see D.I.Y interest spurred in this arena, I'd suggest picking up the torch yourself (so to speak) and put the posts right where you put this one - "General DIscussion." Unfortunately "build it and they will come" is only a catchy phrase from a movie. If however, open discussion produces adequate interest and communication on the topic...
    12ozPBR likes this.
    "They're not like cars with a body that rusts out in a few years. Keep them tuned and overhauled and they'll last as long as you do. Probably longer." - Robert Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    It looks like a nice job, for sure... but the chain needs to be replaced (or shortened, if new). And what's in that "gas tank"?
    Fill the "gas" tank with beer.
    fuego and ancientdad like this.
    1981 Honda CX500D
    1974 Honda CB450
    1986 Yamaha Radian 600

Martha's Vineyard Ma

The EV tech just isn't there yet and probably won't be anytime soon. What I mean by the tech not being there is that even though some good tech exists now it is way way too expensive for most of us tinkerers. New EV bikes are totally unaffordable to me, I would never buy a used one cause old rechargeable batteries suck and replacing them is also totally unaffordable. Basically until the cost to build an EV bike is under a 2-3K you can forget it.
    fuego and knauff13 like this.
    1981 Honda CX500D
    1974 Honda CB450
    1986 Yamaha Radian 600

Martha's Vineyard Ma

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links