Funny salvage yard story
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By drytoe
  • 1 Post By ScramblerCurtis

Thread: Funny salvage yard story

Funny salvage yard story

So first let me say I don't own a bike. I had an XR 80 when I was little. And my dad had a 350 that I got to ride on when I was really little. I want a bike, at times more than others.

Anyway, I went to the salvage yard the other day. Mostly cause I like salvage yards. I used to go to them when I was younger and myself and my friends had VW's. It was always fun searching for stuff. And there was history and untold stories in the metal carcasses.

So while at the yard I saw a cool looking tank. Something that might look good on a cafe style bike, should I build one someday. It was a Benelli. I don't think it was a Mojave. This was less shapely. More slim. Fairly rusted inside. At least 2 or 3 good sized dents. Maybe something I could learn to do some body work/metal work on.

I took it to the office and the guy said it was $50. I said it needed a lot of work and could he do $30. He said no and that he had seen one at a swap meet recently for sale for around $300. I'm not a very good or experienced haggler so I basically said ok thanks and left.

I've tried to find the tank online in pics to see if it was rare or if there were others like it for sale. I couldn't find any. The closest thing I could find was one that looked like the one on this bike. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7692c0f0b6.jpg

So I was in the area today and I decided to swing by and see if it was still there and that I would buy it if it was. I walked the yard and didn't see it. So I went inside and a guy at the counter asked me if I needed help. I said that actually I had talked to the other guy behind the counter about a tank the other day and wanted to see if it was still for sale. The other guy looked up and recognized me and said something I didn't understand. I asked him what and he repeated it saying "I decided to buy it for myself". I laughed a little and repeated it back to him to confirm I understood what he said.

You snooze you lose I guess. I don't think it was unethical or anything but it kinda cracked me up. He probably didn't even know it was in the yard until I brought it to his attention.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
    Last edited by drytoe; 10-22-2016 at 07:50 PM.
    danno likes this.
    Devin

Current Honda Owner - '75 CB360 Cafe, '74 CL125s
    Current and Future Forum Pest

LOL

Guess he looked up what it was and thought he could make a buck on it himself.
    drytoe likes this.
    Curtis

1969 Honda CL350 K1 - Done (Project Log)
    1970 Honda CT70 Trail K0 - Duckie Mo-Mo (Project Log)
    1971 Benelli Mini Enduro 65cc - "Faust" (future build)
    1999 Honda XR400R - Project "Ranger" Adventure Bike (next build)

Yes, I agree
    Devin

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

The guy wants to sell it for himself

It has been my experience that items that are the most valuable are those I never touch. DOH!!!
    1973 Honda CB450k6
    1978 Yamaha SR500e
    1978 Yamaha XS650se Special
    1981 Yamaha SR250t
    2000 Harley Davidson Sportster XL1200c Custom
    2006 Hi Tong 150cc gy6 scooter

The more I think about it, it was a bit unethical of him. Or possibly, anyway. What if he didn't know it was in the yard. And what if when he saw it he priced it high hoping that I would say no, thereby making it available for himself to buy and turn around and sell. Just a thought
    Devin

Sponsored Links