Thinking of Selling CB 450
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By ancientdad
  • 2 Post By Pops
  • 1 Post By Kellz
  • 2 Post By JCW

Thread: Thinking of Selling CB 450

Thinking of Selling CB 450

I have owned a 1970 CB 450, k3, Honda since 1971. I restored it in 2009 and is about 93% of original. Complete photo album of restore. Because of my age, I am thinking of selling it. It is going to be 50 years old on 2/20. My children do not want it so that is another reason I am contemplating. I use it so infrequently that there is Sea Foam in the gas. Am I nuts to do this or should I just keep it in the garage and look at it! I realize that I think it is worth a small fortune because of the $$ sunk into it. Has anyone else had to face this fork in the road?
    Last edited by casey stangle; 07-11-2019 at 05:00 PM.
    Case

Case, I haven't hit that spot yet (I'll be 65 soon) but I hate to see someone, especially in your situation having owned it since it was new, have to make that decision... if it were mine, I'd probably hold onto it. I'm kinda in the same spot as my daughter has zero interest in my bikes and my stepsons don't either, so if my wife outlives me she'll have the burden of selling it if I don't before. Tough call for you, but IMHO you should hold onto it and ride it once in a while until you just can't anymore
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

+1 what Dad said. I've never been able to hold onto a bike that long...must be an ADD thing. But when I think of the bikes I bought new (CB400F, SR500) I could kick myself now for selling them when I did. Hang onto it as long as you're physically able, because once it's gone, it's gone.
    ancientdad and Rob Axel like this.
    Butch
    72 SL350 Basket Case

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

That you've owned it for so long is remarkable! At least you're not tormented- like so many of us- by wishing you'd NOT sold it so long ago! I agree that you might as well hold on to it as long as possible, but either ride it or prep it for long term storage and move it into the bedroom, LOL.

I'm seriously considering selling my 450(sporty) and KLR (commuter/ go-getter) soon and replacing them with a much younger more trustworthy long distance sport tourer and then get the 175 on the road for the local backroads scratching that I use the 450 for. I've only owned the 450 11 years but it will be tough letting it go.
    1973 CB 450 - Sold!
    1968 CL 175- up on blocks
    1991 KLR 250- 'Ol reliable
    2005 Suzuki Wee-Strom - just got it!

Supporting Member David Babbitt's Avatar
    I bought my 1974 CL450K6 in 1980 as a basket case and will drive it 3 more years until I retire. Thought I would sell it then and ride a 1987 50cc Honda Flush (not for export), but then it can't carry things behind me nor take roads with a speed limit over 35 mph. I can lift the CL450 if it falls. I have a backup engine for it and 2 more exhaust systems. The voltage regulator works. There isn't the electronics on it that can make something irreparable There is this network of enthusiasts that share information. At the right time, you'll know what to do with it.

In a nutshell, it sounds to me like you want to get rid of it (or you wouldn't have bothered to post about it), but fear you will regret it. Fear of regret makes me resent something (personally).

It's just stuff. You either own it or it owns you, not trying to sound too blunt. I personally don't like feeling some sort of obligation to hold onto some inanimate object, there is freedom in truly letting things go, if you can't truly let it go then by all means keep it.

I had a LOT of cool motorcycles when I was younger, I couldn't imagine still having one of them after all these years, that would be a burden to me, dragging it around all these years. Not saying everyone is like me at all, but I figure I can always buy another one if I ever got the hankering. I'm just not sentimental I guess, I know I'm in the minority. I like to look at cool stuff in the garage, so there is that, but if it's taking up valuable floor space needed for other aspects of life, it would be tough to hold onto for me. My 2 cents, for what that's worth... (doubt that helped you at all, just giving the opposing side I guess)
    pemdoc65 likes this.

JCW
    I feel your pain. We (my Family) were the second owner of a 1928 Ford Model A roadster pickup. It was in the family for 44 years and went through a couple of frame off restorations, paid for out of my wallet. We had a lot invested in it, but wife and I had grown tired of the car show scene and not being able to park it anywhere unattended as well as the cramped seating inside.. Then there were all the idiot drivers to contend with and some would pass, but linger next to us getting a better look, then jetting off ahead, only to cut us off, spraying those vintage fenders with rocks because they weren’t smart enough to realize where gravel sits.
    The sizable investment was just too much to ignore and with the fun factor diminished to the point of no return, so we sold it and invested the funds in a truck camper setup and use the heck out of it. Do we regret selling it, no not really, I still appreciate any vintage vehicle restoration and the work that goes into one, but the funds were put to a better use and it was time to let someone else enjoy our baby.

Bottom line, if you need the funds, then you should sell it and with it’s history ( you know all of us here love a bike with history) it should bring a good price for you. If the dollars aren’t that important, start it up each week, keep fresh fuel in it and when a nice day presents itself and you want to go for a ride, you can scratch that itch.
    ancientdad and Pops like this.
    1971 CL450K4

Thanks for the sympathetic replies! The one thing about riding it so infrequently is that every time you want to hop on, you have to fiddle with it. No just get on and go. I have another older bike, CX 500, that is in the same boat. Go to start it and the float sticks. The turn signal flasher sticks. Between insurance, license plate fees and battery replacements, they become money pits.Don't need the money and garage space is there for other projects. I do not want to burden my wife with selling them.

So you may see an add in the future to sell this or both of the bikes, you know that I caved.
    Last edited by casey stangle; 07-20-2019 at 07:54 AM.
    Case

I'm in the same boat, bit the bullet and posted it here for sale. Got no real interest so posted it on feebay and am now getting more than I was asking.

One way to look at it is that bike is only going to go up in value over time, just prep it for long term storage. I didnt have the luxury of having a garage to store it or I would have just kept mine.

Quote Originally Posted by devilclown View Post
    I'm in the same boat, bit the bullet and posted it here for sale. Got no real interest so posted it on feebay and am now getting more than I was asking.
    Haha, us forum guys are cheap/poor! Glad you're getting a good price on EBay.
    1981 Honda CX500D
    1974 Honda CB450
    1986 Yamaha Radian 600

Martha's Vineyard Ma

Sponsored Links