Harley-Davidson Sportster XLCH 1976
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Harley-Davidson Sportster XLCH 1976

Harley-Davidson Sportster XLCH 1976

A while ago, while strolling through the town center, a seagull decided to precision drop it's load straight on the top of my head. Can't understand how such a small creature can carry such a a load. A week later, while working outside on the K2, another seagull could claim a partial hit on my back.

When I mentioned this, Nigel and another friend of mine pointed out that seagull droppings means good luck. Didn't feel very lucky those days but lo and behold, soon afterwords this 1976 Harley-Davidson XLCH Sportster landed in my lap for a very reasonable cost. I test rode a friends ironhead Sportster a while back and really liked it's character. I've got very little experience of Harley's but except for the very silent, and in my eyes pretty ugly, exhaust (only for passing MOT) and the seat it looks pretty stock to me.

Harley-Davidson Sportster XLCH 1976-img_1645-1024.jpg

The owner couldn't get it running OK but after carburettor adjustments it's now running really good.

nice find, i love the look of the old harelys, i think it would great with white wall tires

Nice find Ronny looks and sounds great. Has to be the quietest Harley I've heard.

I got crapped on the other day but no new bike in my garage
    dtsmjr8dan and momomoto like this.
    Perry

1972 Honda CB350
    / 1978 Honda XL250S / 1982 Honda MB5 / 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    Riding Through the Fog

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Better make room in your garage then Perry.
    The exhaust is only for passing registration but I don't like my bikes beeing too loud. At the same time I want to hear that it's a bike I'm on so I'll experiment with the new exhaust system, that will be mounted after registration, to find a sound level I like. Strong enough to sound like a motorcycle but not so strong I disturbs other people or cause fatigue on longer rides.

I know this is a forum for Honda twins so that's why I ask you guys if there's there are any interest in following the work I'll be doing on the Harley?

Wandered over here from your Brutus build, noticed the Sportster on the table, and then saw the link in your signature. I REALLY want one too...am afraid it would be just an around town bike, but I'd want to ride it long distances...how is it when you put some miles on it? Does your body hurt? Cool bike!

MomoMoto

'72 K5 CL450
    '66 K0 CB450

Depending on how big of a guy you are,a Sportster is great for short jaunts.
    I have had a couple of them.
    They are a blast to ride.
    They also make great candidates for cafe racer street bikes.
    Nice find.

They are really great looking bikes but keep your tool box handy. You have to remember they are what made the Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki so popular in the states. I parted ways with HD about 1972.

This thread isn't at all what I expected from the title!

Thought it might be in reference to the claim that 80% of the Harleys ever built are still on the road.

The other 20% made it all the way home!
    momomoto likes this.
    JT
    81 CM400T

So far I've only made one longer (100 mile) high speed motorway ride on my Sportster so I can't say much about it's reliability. Harley was owned by AMF (the bowling accessory company) between 1969 and 1981 and the bikes produced during this period is regarded to have really bad quality due to bad quality control (mine is a 1976 ).

When I mentioned to people (this forum excluded) that I was going to tour Europe on a 1968 Honda 450 I was thought to be mad. I was predicted not even to be able to leave Sweden before it broke down. After a problem free 7000 km ride across Europe I've stopped to listen to what some people say. If you take good care of a bike and make some small but essential modifications you can get almost any old bike reliable.
    I might be a bit unorthodox as I actually enjoy the uncertainty of not knowing if I will reach the end of my journey without the bike braking down. It's when the bike has let me down or I've got totally lost I've seen really stunning views and met the most interesting people.

With the Harley I'm happy as a bunny just to get it started (1000cc and kickstart only) and ecstatic if I get all the way without problems with the bike. It has some modifications as f.ex. a modern screw on oil filter kit, upgraded front brake, S&S Super E carburettor and iridium spark plugs. I'm planning to replace the points ignition with an electronic one to make it easier to start.

I just love this bike! It has way better handling than I expected and the engine pulls like a train so it's very fast and enjoyable to ride.

Heres a video from a ride by during this fall (never mind the running man).

Great to see you're enjoying the Harley Ronny. In your hands that bike will no doubt be as reliable as it possibly can.

You still riding over there or has winter taken over? I put my bikes away around mid-December here across the big pond.
    Perry

1972 Honda CB350
    / 1978 Honda XL250S / 1982 Honda MB5 / 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    Riding Through the Fog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links