Thinking about buying ANOTHER bike...
    SHS

Thinking about buying ANOTHER bike...

I think I have a problem. I didn't even get my first bike that long ago and numbers two and three weren't long after that. Granted number three is a parts bike I plan on selling off when I finish restoration on number two. I digress.

"What's the problem?" you might be wondering. I keep finding these TINY motorcycles that just appeal to me cosmetically more than most bigger machines. My most recent eye candy, the 1983 Yamaha RX50.

The story is this bike was given to select dealerships across the country to be raffled off, getting more people in the doors. Yes, it has a 50cc engine, but apparently the thing screams. reaches 55-65MPH and red lines at 10,000rpm! haha. It was released/raffled for two years and is quite rare(less than 2,000 made), but it also shares most of the parts of the YSR making them readily available.

Here she is. VERY reasonable asking price. I think I will find time to check it out tomorrow.

Anyone else think this thing is super badass?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thinking about buying ANOTHER bike...-189658-1380833357-297228.jpg  

Re: Thinking about buying ANOTHER bike...

Very cool, I love small bikes as well. I didn't know that about how they were given to dealers to raffle off, very interesting. That's a pretty good top speed, more than my MB5, I've had mine up to 50. Not very common to see a two-stroke cruiser styled bike, definitely a keeper. Enjoy.
    Perry

1972 Honda CB350
    / 1978 Honda XL250S / 1982 Honda MB5 / 2014 Honda CB500X
    Riding Through the Fog

Looks like a lot of fun. Get it.
    juggler

1985 CB450SC (Blue)

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I don't know if you get the rss feed from "Bike Exif" or not (all of you should if you don't) They send you a custom or a reader's build a day. Check out "Lossa Engineering" in SoCal. Jay LaRossa takes smaller displacement Japanese bikes and makes some of the best looking Cafe's you've ever seen. He did a CB160, "Poco Bastardo" for Jason Lee, of "My name is Earl" fame. Lee has since sold it to make room for another Lossa build, I think a CB550. He has a Youtube vid of an SR500 Yamaha that I'm thinking about copying w/mine. He has a sense of style that is really above average. I don't know if your'e considering a Cafe conversion, but if you are this is a really great site to get inspiration from. Buy every bike you can. Don't let your wife see this.

SHS

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzirik
    I don't know if you get the rss feed from "Bike Exif" or not (all of you should if you don't) They send you a custom or a reader's build a day. Check out "Lossa Engineering" in SoCal. Jay LaRossa takes smaller displacement Japanese bikes and makes some of the best looking Cafe's you've ever seen. He did a CB160, "Poco Bastardo" for Jason Lee, of "My name is Earl" fame. Lee has since sold it to make room for another Lossa build, I think a CB550. He has a Youtube vid of an SR500 Yamaha that I'm thinking about copying w/mine. He has a sense of style that is really above average. I don't know if your'e considering a Cafe conversion, but if you are this is a really great site to get inspiration from. Buy every bike you can. Don't let your wife see this.
    I didn't end up checking out the RX50 this weekend as I spent the entirety of it lying on my deathbed from a flu/cold combination, but it looks like it is still posted for sale. I am having second thoughts however...

I did a little more research on the cycle and have found the perceived value of these things to be all over the place. Nada has it valued 215/fair, 380/good, 685/very good, yet most for sale in good/very good condition are in the $1000-1500 range. I even saw a very poor conditioned one on ebay for $4,500 haha. It's starting to seem like this isn't one of the bikes you make alterations to in hopes of making it more valuable? And it is also starting to seem like this guy might want more than I should pay for it. ($600) I think he is wanting back what he put in to it, and we all know that doesn't make for the best deal.

I hadn't heard of that feed, but I looked up a couple pictures of the poco bastardo, beautifully done cafe style bike.

Man... three days later and I still feel like I'm hallucinating. Flu's are the worst.

If the pics do it justice, you should buy it... Tiny or not...

I can appreciate your love affair for small bikes as it's one that I've shared for many, many years. I have more fun at 60mph on a small bike then I do going 130 on a large one. They are light and easy to flick into corners, stop well and generally feel more like a machine then a big bike.

In my opinion however, it is a mistake to look at any published pricing service when discussing vintage bikes as they never reflect the true value or even the perceived value of many bikes. They are getting better though. For instance, who would have thought that a cheap, 350 dollar H2 is actually bringing $4500 today.....for a non-runner. I have bought and sold more bikes then most folks and can tell you that the best source is research on your part to develop what YOU consider to be a fair price. I have a 82 Yamaha 650 turbo that honestly is in magnificent condition with it being entirely stock other then the reversible modifications that I made to the turbocharging system that allow it to generate 18PSI of boost. The "books" have it valued around $1000 +/- which to me, doesn't properly reflect it's value. I've always thought that with vintage bikes, the value is really individual to the buyer....what I might think is a fair value might not be shared by the seller and there in lies "the dance". I suggest that no matter how many bikes you and up buying or even walking away from, enjoy the dance....it's fun and can be fun and fair to everyone at the same time. Several times I've paid more than the asking price because of surrounding circumstances and walking into a deal with that outlook allows you to make those choices without feeling bad later, it also helps you keep a clear conscious. In other words, when you go to look at a bike and find that the 22 year old owner is living with his wife's parents, along with their 13 month old daughter, has driven a beater car to the storage unit where he's had to keep his bike, turns off the car despite the freezing temps and the fact that his wife and daugher are in the car and the bike clearly shows that someone busted their hump trying to shine the engine covers....and he's asking way to little for his '73 GT550 .....it lets you see the bigger picture.....sometimes it's a good idea to do the right thing. I guarantee that you will never regret those kinds of decisions. It also can help you "take a bike off the street" as it did when I offered a guy more for his 75 Z1, it was only $100 but it got him to delete his add and prevent anyone else from offering even more.

As far as that particular bike goes, it's a screamer and can be modified very easily to really pour on the coal at high rpm.....just be willing to re-ring it every once in a while!!

Good luck,

jeff
    Present: VStrom 1000 K7,Stock: '74 RD350,’75 GT550,'76 CB400F, '75 H2(purple), Modded: ‘75 GT550 restored & ported, '82 Yamaha 650Turbo running 18PSI,'74 H2B carbs-pipes-ported, project list:'72&2-'75 H1's, '82 920 Vir Latest:'73 CB350-given away

Sponsored Links