What was your first motorcycle? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: What was your first motorcycle?

I got myself a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 in 2007 (earlier it was called the Suzuki Volusia 800). I knew I wanted a cruiser, but not a Harley Davidson. I was between the C50, a Yamaha Vstar 650, Kawasaki 500 LTD, and a Honda Shadow. The C50 won out. I rode that thing throughout college, and took a trip out to Tail of the Dragon after graduation. Eventually I realized that while it was comfortable, it was heavy as hell and its acceleration could NOT keep up in group rides at all. Heck, even minivans would pass me like it was nothing from a stoplight.

The story of its passing is the most remarkable thing about it. I "sold it" to a guy off Craigslist for a check (I KNOW, BIG MISTAKE!) and said that I am holding onto the title until the check clears. It did, and so I signed the title away. A few days later, my bank's fraud protection notified me that the check bounced. The guy immediately goes off the grid. I posted my sob story on a chicagoland biker forum and a member who is a P.I. took pity and offered his help gratis. Well within a week, he found out where the bike is and the "owner's" family members, and we got Chicago PD involved. Turns out the buyer and his wife were big scam artists and were going ballistic when cops showed up. To my big regret, the bike was totalled. I just wanted to put all of this behind me, so I got the bike towed back home, and sold it to a motorcycle scrapper/restorer for a fraction of its listed value.
    1975 CB360T Cafe Project (Being rebuilt from crispy bits!) - Done-ish...now in maintenance mode
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by krukster86 View Post
    I got myself a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 in 2007 (earlier it was called the Suzuki Volusia 800). I knew I wanted a cruiser, but not a Harley Davidson. I was between the C50, a Yamaha Vstar 650, Kawasaki 500 LTD, and a Honda Shadow. The C50 won out. I rode that thing throughout college, and took a trip out to Tail of the Dragon after graduation. Eventually I realized that while it was comfortable, it was heavy as hell and its acceleration could NOT keep up in group rides at all. Heck, even minivans would pass me like it was nothing from a stoplight.

The story of its passing is the most remarkable thing about it. I "sold it" to a guy off Craigslist for a check (I KNOW, BIG MISTAKE!) and said that I am holding onto the title until the check clears. It did, and so I signed the title away. A few days later, my bank's fraud protection notified me that the check bounced. The guy immediately goes off the grid. I posted my sob story on a chicagoland biker forum and a member who is a P.I. took pity and offered his help gratis. Well within a week, he found out where the bike is and the "owner's" family members, and we got Chicago PD involved. Turns out the buyer and his wife were big scam artists and were going ballistic when cops showed up. To my big regret, the bike was totalled. I just wanted to put all of this behind me, so I got the bike towed back home, and sold it to a motorcycle scrapper/restorer for a fraction of its listed value.
    Wow, quite the experience... sorry to hear how it turned out. Damn Craigslist. And then your 360 went crisp on you... you don't have a black cloud over your head - do you?
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Wow, quite the experience... sorry to hear how it turned out. Damn Craigslist. And then your 360 went crisp on you... you don't have a black cloud over your head - do you?
    Hey man, at least I am always in the shade
    ancientdad and BobbyPlayhouse like this.
    1975 CB360T Cafe Project (Being rebuilt from crispy bits!) - Done-ish...now in maintenance mode
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by krukster86 View Post
    Hey man, at least I am always in the shade
    well, that's a positive spin!
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

JCW
    CT55, a 1964 version I believe. I looked around for a picture, but then remembered that cameras weren’t yet invented back then........
    ancientdad likes this.
    1971 CL450K4

My first dirtbike was a 1978 Kawasaki KE175. I was 14. It was an absolute beater we got for $200 off of some suburban rednecks with a motocross track in their backyard (bet their neighbors loved them). I worked it off by trimming trees (we lived in the country) and other landscaping chores. Sometimes I would throw it in my old truck and take a couple towns over to ride in my friends parent's woods or whatever, but it wasn't street legal. I really learned how to handle a bike with that Kawi. It died a slow death however.
    My first real motorcycle was a 1971 CL350, no rust, just needed an engine rebuild, lights and fenders. $400 bucks and I pushed it home 20 blocks the summer after my freshman year in college. Had it purring one year later and ripped around the Twin Cities endlessly until I had to sell it for rent. Sad day.
    2x 1973 CB350G

A raleigh runabout, bought for £3 when i was 15, 1984

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Sponsored Links