Non Running CB450 questions - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Non Running CB450 questions

Quote Originally Posted by -alan- View Post
    Better add some emergency budget for plates to remount those rearsets 6" further forwards then..

(Is that really Ago himself on that MV pictured above Bill btw - or just some guy who likes the look ?)
    Agostini, Hailwood, Hailwood, in that order - both world champions.
    Here are Phil Read and Kenny Roberts - more world champions.

I only brought it up as a safety issue - stretched out like that may get by for a drag racer, but it can get you killed going around corners.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Non Running CB450 questions-readmv-wheelie-tcm.jpg   Non Running CB450 questions-kenny-roberts.jpg  
    Last edited by tbpmusic; 10-23-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    -alan- likes this.
    Bill Lane
    Honda Twins Founding Member

No advice, just info

'75 CB200T, '71 CB450 K4 Half-Breed, '72 CL350 (Sold), '81 CM200T, '72 C70M
    and a little red Chineeze scooter

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cb450-restoration

Appreciated. Truly.

So in summary i would say i am looking at the following:

TO START MINIMUM:
    - Carb rebuild
    - Full Fluids change
    - New Battery

Get bike running (poorly) then (after acetone tests and other tests):
    - engine removed, followed by head removed
    - locate good shop to have valve guide replaced/machined
    - potential new valves as well
    - get head back and replace all gaskets, potentially new seals
    - move, or add rearsets where they are originally from factory

I think i could get on board with this as long as there aren't too many other unknown gremlins lying in wait. The original asking price will probably be scoffed at given the crowd here but it was $2,300. I have essentially gotten him down to $1,200 from there which is still above where i would ultimately like to be. However, if he did do what he claimed which was invest $4K in the build through a shop to custom build 5 years ago, the price is certainly more then fair from his perspective.

Now the call is. What haven't i thought about above? And, do i want to make the plunge?

obviously no one can make that decision for me, but since if i go through with this you will all probably get to know me daily on the engine section of the forum, i would definitely take the last minute opinions. Cheers guys. If nothing else this has been an enlightening conversation and i appreciate all of the input.
    Last edited by smcparland; 10-23-2019 at 02:34 PM. Reason: **edited to fix where i said forks instead of rearsets.

if you're going that far, be sure to clean out the crankshaft big-end oil feed galleries. just keep the rollers separated per bearing and use your favorite dental pick to scrape, and scrape, ditto, ad nauseum, and clean till you're sick of it then clean some more. those troughs crud up in the worst possible ways and at worst case, can clog the oil feed to the rod ends.

here's the pile 'o' crud from one i just started to clean (clutch pushrod seal for scale) and not finished yet:
    Non Running CB450 questions-img_0615.jpg

If you do the labor, it can be done "fairly" inexpensively but if you sub out all the work, it'll be a big ouchie in the end. I recommend you do it (and we'll help)
    Last edited by jays100; 10-23-2019 at 02:07 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

With the bike in that condition and all the work needed to get it safe I don't think you should pay more than $500 for it. Not sure where you are located but here is a 450 that will end up costing you less and is on the road today.https://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...005038570.html
    1981 Honda CX500D
    1974 Honda CB450
    1986 Yamaha Radian 600

Martha's Vineyard Ma

Quote Originally Posted by Rscottp View Post
    With the bike in that condition and all the work needed to get it safe I don't think you should pay more than $500 for it. Not sure where you are located but here is a 450 that will end up costing you less and is on the road today.https://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...005038570.html
    So this is an interesting viewpoint. You think that getting the bike i'm discussing roadbound will cost more then $2,000??? Because i mentally was pricing it at less then half that.

Thank you for the link btw. i should really update this account. i'm located in Central NJ (a myth according to some) so Albany is a hike, but within range for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rscottp View Post
    I agree on the price - $1200 is too much by far. If he claims to have put $4K in he's a sucker.

That's a nice K3 in your link - looks like a US model, not a bad price in Europe.
    Last edited by tbpmusic; 10-23-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    Bill Lane

No advice, just info

Quote Originally Posted by smcparland View Post
    So this is an interesting viewpoint. You think that getting the bike i'm discussing roadbound will cost more then $2,000??? Because i mentally was pricing it at less then half that.

Thank you for the link btw. i should really update this account. i'm located in Central NJ (a myth according to some) so Albany is a hike, but within range for sure.
    I'm not sure how much you will end up spending to get that bike roadworthy and safe and that is part of the problem, there are the obvious stuff that has been pointed out but whenever you see sketchy stuff on the surface it's a good bet there will be even more sketchy stuff underneath. For $500 it's probably worth the risk but for $1200 it isn't in my slightly educated opinion.
    1981 Honda CX500D
    1974 Honda CB450
    1986 Yamaha Radian 600

Martha's Vineyard Ma

Here's the real deal....IF that bike IS 90% what you want and it is worth $1200 to you as-is, then buy it....IF TITLED!....
    You will probably add another $1800 to $2000 to get it safe and to 100% of YOUR vision, but MANY here have that amount (or more) invested and $3K total is a somewhat reasonable price for a completed/running/ pretty (to you) mid range bike.......
    I have over $3500 invested SO FAR in the 175 Turbo I'm still slowly attempting to make Bonneville ready (Not easy as the record in that class is now above 100MPH and was only 70+ MPH when I started the build)......
    It's only money, happiness is priceless.......
    Rscottp and FrisianWheel like this.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

^ I'm not sure some of the buying decisions I've made over the years have generated huge amounts of happiness.. in fact, often quite the opposite in many cases

I bought my 450 as a runner - supposedly - worked on by a reasonably knowledgeable guy who had a bit of a reputation as a classic bike buff on other forums. I rode it 4 hours to get it home, so it did actually run. Leaving aside my own labour input, and having spent nothing on the aesthetics, I'd say I've sunk another €1000+ in parts, machining work at a local engine shop, and various miscellaneous things to get it to 'reasonable' running condition. If my experience was anything to go by, then for a non-runner (with a gearbox/clutch that you don't really know anything about) - I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to allow contingency for another €500-1000 on top of that.

edit - I should just add btw that my experience with 'interesting' cars and bikes over the years has been that the only sensible buys are (i) the expensive ones that are truly in really good condition and need nothing but minor tweaking or (ii) the heaps that you buy cheaply and plan to spend a load of money fixing up properly. Bikes/Cars in category (i) usually work out a lot better value than (ii) over the long run. The worst things to buy are ones half way in between - where you're paying a premium for a bike or car that is 'nearly there'/'needs a little work' but then end up spending a fortune on a load of unknowns / unexpected stuff that crops up. A lesson I keep forgetting, but hey, thought I'd at least pass it on
    Last edited by -alan-; 10-23-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    CB450 K5

The engine alone could conceivably cost $1,000, depending on how bad it is. If it needs the Full Monty, cams, tappets, pistons, valves, machine shop, etc., it could easily reach that mark.
    Bill Lane

No advice, just info

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links