New Member in NJ
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By knauff13
  • 1 Post By knauff13

Thread: New Member in NJ

New Member in NJ

Hello all,
    My name is Ian. I am 21 years old from NJ and I joined this forum under recommendation of my buddy Ryan to find help with my project bike when needed.
    I still don't have my motorcycle endorsement, but I will soon. I got a 1975 Honda CB200T as my first bike I got in pretty cheap since it had a half filled out title. I was able to register it in my name using the Vermont Bill of Sale Trick. I've since noticed that some parts are actually difficult to find such as the unobtainable front caliper parts. I am currently on the look out for a wheel with a front drum from a CB175, I found someone selling a whole CB175 in Philly for 50 bucks but I don't have a truck to get it from there so that ones a no go. I'm looking forward to reading through here, hopefully learning enough through my own project and being able to help someone else when the time comes.
    Thanks,
    Ian
    New Member in NJ-cb200-3.jpg

Dude!....Take tools and disassemble and stick it in your car trunk.....Shouldn't take more than two hours to break it down enough, less with a helper.....

OR, take off drive chain, front wheel and fender, and "trailer" it by sticking the bare forks into your open trunk and lashing it down....

OR, Rent a Ryder truck with a ramp.......Think it's about $20 for one day rental
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 10-14-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

I agree, whatever vehicle you have access to should be able to contain the parts once the bike is broken down from fully assembled to relatively disassembled. The back seats of some cars pop out fairly easily too... bring tarps or old blankets or whatever if you're concerned with keeping bike dirt off the car. A big rubbermaid tub will hold the engine and keep messes in as well.

The whole bike weighs 313lbs, no problem for any car.
    The engine probably weighs the most, I cant find it listed anywhere, but my 250 Nighthawk engine is only 87lbs so this one can't weigh much more.

Don't cut any wires if you can disconnect them.

Bring all the tools you can and a friend who knows how to use them. For the $50 purchase you'll have a good learning experience, an actual adventure, and a big pile of useful parts for your bike.
    "That awkward moment when you end up using advice from an ichiban moto video"
    CB250 Nighthawk projects 92,93,92.
    81 CM400C Sold
    93 CB750 Nighthawk Sold
    73 CB750K3 Long term project stuck in the 'parts collecting stage.'
    Fork Swap info: http://sites.google.com/site/alansdocuments/

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

2 hours may be optimistic for someone who is new to these bikes and a bike with probably a handful of rusted/seized bolts. It could definitely be done, but I think it would require some studying beforehand of how to remove the engine. I'd go for renting a truck so you can take your time with it. Or even find a friend with a pickup and a ramp (or a solid board to use as one). Taking apart a bike is a pretty valuable learning experience even if it's not the same model you plan to restore.
    Alan F. likes this.
    Ben Knauff
    1978 CB400A Hawk Hondamatic

I also think that 2 hours would be a little short for my level of experience, that is also assuming it would be alright tearing the thing apart in the middle of a random ally in Philadelphia, a city I'm not very familiar with, and throwing parts into a rental truck. My car wouldn't make it to Philly it's a 1993 Buick I only use it to get to work and class a few miles from my home. I'll see if I can find a friend willing to go on a trip, but that's gonna be based entirely on availability.

FWIW, $50 seems like a great deal for the chance to tear one down without worrying too much about the end result, especially since you've already identified a part that might be serviceable for your other bike. You might find that a few other things on it can be re-sold here/ebay/facebook marketplace to make some of that money back as well. I had a crusty parts bike that I got as a throw-in on another purchase that I probably made $75-100 from... Not a lot, but more than enough to make it worth the effort, especially considering the hands-on education. Just my $.02.
    Alan F. likes this.
    Ben Knauff
    1978 CB400A Hawk Hondamatic

Sponsored Links