Howdy from Texas!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Howdy from Texas!

Howdy from Texas!

Hi everyone! Sorry my intro is a little late. My name is Hayden and I am from central Texas. My wife and I are at the tail end of a 3yr frame off restoration of a vintage airstream. Once complete with that project, we plan to travel for several years while we work remotely. I was never a motorcycle guy (if you exclude the Honda Express II that I had as a kid). It dawned on me last year that I could fit a small motorcycle in the bed of my truck and protect it with a camper shell, which would give me an extra mode of transportation while on the road. Since then, my wife and I both got our class M licenses and purchased a 1975 Honda CB200t. It's been a great little bike so far and I am 100% hooked on motorcycles now! I love designing and fabricating, but have never caught the auto mechanics bug (until now). With that said, I have a lot to learn from you "seasoned" gents ! As of this posting, I have restored the inside of the gas tank, cleaned the petcock, carbs, updated the reg/rec with a newer combo unit (by charlies place), installed an LED winker relay (all bulbs including headlight have been changed to LED), & have installed a new battery and fuel lines. The charging system is working great now, and I've pretty much fixed the electrical nightmare that the POs left me with. I have changed some of the crumbled engine seals, but I still have minor leaks all over. My next big projects will be a complete engine tear down, and an entire electrical system overhaul (using the M-Unit by motogadget). I'm very excited to join the group here and thank you all for your help on my journey to becoming a gear head junkie!!
    Russ Lang likes this.

Welcome to the forum ! Sounds like you are going to know your bike inside and out ! That's good.
    I'm curious about the Airstream project. We're there many mouse condo's behind the walls ? I tried to mouse proof ours, but never was successful. Little buggers can walk through walls I think. What for insulation did you put back in the walls ? There's only about an inch and a half, I think ?
    Best,

Thanks OldTwinsRock, glad to be here! There was indeed some horrible treasures waiting in the walls! I remember demoing in the West Texas, summer heat. I had HEPA respirators and gloves duct taped to my sleeves haha. After I demoed everything, I sealed every seam and rivet from the inside with Sikaflex and then re-ran all new electrical. After that, I took it to a commercial spray foam company and had 1" of closed cell spray foam shot on the whole thing. Like you said, the ribs are only 1-5/8" so you really don't have much of a cavity to accrue an impressive R-Value. I'm fighting myself on a daily basis to finish that Airstream before I go HAM on the CB200. It's a dangerous and expensive venture overlapping passion projects, but I'm sure you know all about that!
    OldTwinsRock and Russ Lang like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Here are some pics of my CB200t "Hopper". We currently live down 7 miles of dirt road to the nearest highway, so Hopper's always a little on the dusty side
    Howdy from Texas!-hopper_1.jpg
    Howdy from Texas!-hopper_2.jpg
    Howdy from Texas!-hopper_3.jpg
    Howdy from Texas!-hopper_4.jpg
    Howdy from Texas!-hopper_5.jpg
    Howdy from Texas!-hopper_6.jpg
    Howdy from Texas!-hopper_7.jpg
    Howdy from Texas!-hopper_8.jpg

Welcome......sounds like you have a plan.

Pictures are a must here, and not just of the motorcycle project.

Be nice to see that vintage air stream as well.

Good Luck with both vintage projects.

Must have posted pictures as I was typing.

Nice looking bike.........
    Last edited by budlite282; 08-12-2019 at 04:29 PM.
    "If it ain't raining, I'm riding......"

Work in process:::::::

Thanks Budlite282 (BTW, sorry I'm a Coors guy )! As requested, here's a few shots of the airstream. Thankfully, we're a lot further along since these, but they seem to be the most up to date shots that I have. Also, we have started a channel on youtube. Here are our links
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thefreerenegade/
    Howdy from Texas!-mitty_1.jpg
    Howdy from Texas!-mitty_2.jpg
    Howdy from Texas!-mitty_3.jpg
    Last edited by TheFreeRenegade; 08-12-2019 at 09:04 PM.
    Russ Lang likes this.

Welcome, and very nice Airstream and CB200!
    I've always loved those CB200 tanks, with the pleated leather (vinyl?) center strip. You have two awesome projects going, that's for sure.
    Keep up the good work! And keep the great pics coming!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    TheFreeRenegade likes this.

I’ll get the obvious out of the way and say Nice Airstream! If you can do half as well with the CB200 as you did with the camper then you will have no problems. They are fairly easy to work on, especially if you have the factory service manual. You do have the FSM, right? If not, ask and someone should provide you a link to download. One question, I guess your bike is a CB that the PO put CL pipes on? Either way it looks good and you are certainly off to a good start. Ancientdad will be pleased you posted a proper intro including good, zoomable photos!
    Runners
    1971 Triumph Tiger
    1972 CL350
    1974 XL350
    1974 CB450

Current Project
    1966 CB450 Black Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by 12ozPBR View Post
    I’ll get the obvious out of the way and say Nice Airstream! If you can do half as well with the CB200 as you did with the camper then you will have no problems. They are fairly easy to work on, especially if you have the factory service manual. You do have the FSM, right? If not, ask and someone should provide you a link to download. One question, I guess your bike is a CB that the PO put CL pipes on? Either way it looks good and you are certainly off to a good start. Ancientdad will be pleased you posted a proper intro including good, zoomable photos!
    Thanks 12ozPBR! I do have the FSM (thanks to one of the senior members here). I've read it front to back a couple times already lol. So much good info to absorb! Until you mentioned it, I didn't even think about the pipes being from a CL; I wasn't sure if the CB came w/ either option from the factory (is it obvious that I'm a noob?)) Being that they were both 200cc bikes, is it unlikely that the CL swapped exhaust could cause irregularity in back pressure on my CB as compared to the factory designed CB exhaust?
    75' Honda CB200t

Vintage or Bust

Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeRenegade View Post
    Thanks Budlite282 (BTW, sorry I'm a Coors guy )! As requested, here's a few shots of the airstream. Thankfully, we're a lot further along since these, but they seem to be the most up to date shots that I have. Also, we have started a channel on youtube. Here are our links
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thefreerenegade/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitty_1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	409.3 KB 
ID:	288030

Name:	Mitty_2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	288032

Name:	Mitty_3.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	288034
    Very nice, would love to have one of those Airstreams....................................yea, have to say, I'm a Coors guy myself. Actually was budlite for the longest, but my sister got me hooked on Coors, years ago.........wanted to change the name, but don't know how.
    "If it ain't raining, I'm riding......"

Work in process:::::::

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links