New Owner '74 CL360 Saying Thanks.

New Owner '74 CL360 Saying Thanks.

On the tail end of my first build, (1974 CL360), I've used these threads with many issues I've had and wanted to say thanks for the contributors and the help. Here are the pics of the bike, it's a fluid ending so things may change and there are several minor issues that I still need to iron out but here it is as of now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Owner '74 CL360 Saying Thanks.-20190711_133528.jpg   New Owner '74 CL360 Saying Thanks.-20190711_133709-1-.jpg   New Owner '74 CL360 Saying Thanks.-20190711_133631-1-.jpg   New Owner '74 CL360 Saying Thanks.-20190711_132745-1-.jpg   New Owner '74 CL360 Saying Thanks.-20190711_132524-2-.jpg  

Last edited by bodad; 07-12-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Welcome - and thanks for doing it right, posting an introduction with pictures too. But... since you've been here about 9 months, why didn't you share the journey with us along the way?? Looks like a lot of work went into the finished product
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Great looking bike! Don't worry, you will be back posting at some point
    1975 CB360T Cafe Project (Being rebuilt from crispy bits!) - Done-ish...now in maintenance mode
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I'm terrible at remembering to take before and progress pics (as my wife would attest with various remodeling home projects I've done). Couldn't find any but one mid build shot and various wiring, seat shaping pics that just were for reference so I could remember how to put things back.
    Bought the bike with about 7k on the speedo although the engine was in a box after a failed rebuild according to the PO.

Removed a bunch of stuff, de-tabbed, relocated the battery, chopped the front fender down and got rid of the rear fender. Bought new 18" 2.15 rims front/rear, laced up spokes, up sized the tires (slightly too large in the front) bike came with new tires on it so I used the rear on the front and bought a matching (4.10 x 18) Shinko 244 for the rear and the older tire is about 3/16" wider than it's newer model and already mounted to the front so I left it for now but will be changing that up at some point.

Found, after painting and striping, that the tank oozes a tiny bit of gas at a seam (p.s. don't try to grind smooth those sloppy tank seam welds) so that's still on the agenda.

Converted to the dreaded Pods with a fabbed up velocity stack that fits inside the pod so still trying to work out the jetting so it's smooth throughout the range, it's great under acceleration, has a slight stumble in the mid-range at steady throttle, and a very small hesitation on initial throttle blip. It's not terrible and will still run up in the 80's I think but it's a work in progress.

Battery is now horizontally mounted in a battery box I fabbed up. Regular AGM battery, did the Sparck Moto Rec upgrade. Converted to LED signals and rear brake light and added a spot beam under the original headlight (night riding is an adventure when you meet a car and you have to flip to original headlight only).

Did away with the original gauges since they weren't in great shape and converted to a digital "all in one" unit. It has it's issues and I still don't have the speedo sensor hooked up since it's fairly large and ugly so that's on the list too.

New rear shocks, not my favorite and it's not an all day ride I'd choose but it's fine for short runs.

Built the seat pan custom to fit with the CL tank, I like the CB tank much better and would have been my 1st choice and easier for the seat build but the tank I had was in pretty good shape after smoothing out a couple of dents and I couldn't find a decent CB tank that was reasonably priced.

Like I said, it's a work in progress but it's tagged and drive able.

I'm happy to answer any inquiries you may have that may help you along in your project. I know sometimes it's tough finding someone that has the exact same issue you're having and will follow through with the help so I"ll do my best.

Nice build. I put those tires on mine, 4.1 front and rear, but I need a wider one in rear, looks too skinny. On my last bike I ordered these tires in 3.5 and 4.1 but never installed and sent back, something weird on the sizing because the 3.5 was as wide or wider than the 4.1 with a different tread pattern slightly, bigger knobs on smaller tire??? I would like to have wider rims like you though. I also have those exact shocks, they are definitely stiff, I raised mine about as high as I could get away with, thinking about cutting a coil to soften.

I like it, cohesive and clean, great job!

Thanks for the kudos. After seeing the size discrepancy on the Shinko's, I'm a little stumped as to what to get. Ideally I'd like a flatter/bigger knobby, more of a 50/50 dual sport look, maybe the 705? and I want them fairly big front and rear but no way to tell exact measurements until you get them on. I will say that the knobby style tire being that wide in the front is not treating my new brake cable too kindly, it does rub it some and I'm sure that would be alleviated with a slightly smaller tire in a less aggressive knob style that doesn't spill out the sides as much. The front looks bigger in my scenario and it IS slightly bigger but I just think it looks significantly bigger since it's taking up so much space in the fender and between the forks. It also is not the ideal setup for nimble turning but sometimes "form over function" is acceptable to me. If I wanted a bike that was 100% "function over form" I'd ride my big bike, this one is basically just a toy to zip around town on.

Shinko 705's look awesome to me, but I ordered some and they seemed way too wide for the rims, 120/18 and 4.1/18 is their smallest. I would need to upgrade rims for sure. I'm not getting any rubbing on my 4.1's, here is a link to a couple of pics
    https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...ml#post1074728

like I said, there may be some weird sizing issue regarding the 3.5, it seemed bigger than the 4.1 when I ordered it? See how the treadblocks are wider on front than rear?
    Last edited by Kellz; 07-12-2019 at 10:53 AM.

I think it's kinda like clothes and shoes - depends on the manufacturer as to how accurately they match the size reference
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Showed this to my teenage son, he said your bike is "dope"! Also, I didn't realize you have a 19" front wheel which makes the 705's easier to find.

Nope, got rid of the 19 and it's just 18s front and back. Side note, I've got two factory DID rims that are freshly powder coated black that I should sell, 18' rear, 19" front.

Sponsored Links