Critical - read before posting
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Critical - read before posting

Exclamation Critical - read before posting

Forum Decorum

First and foremost: there is a Member Introduction area for a reason. We were all new here at some point, even the guys who started this great website 10 years ago... but in the last year or so, there has been a trend toward people just joining up and going right to what they want without a "hello" or anything about themselves. Think of it this way - if you did that with a single female at the bar (and you know exactly what I mean), there's a 90% or better chance you'd get a big negative in response, so why would it be cool here? It's an old expression (and a lot of us here are old)... "when in Rome, do as the Romans do".

Include your location in your bio/introduction - if we don't have to search your posts for a clue as to where you are, it will help us get a better idea what country's version of the bike model you're working with or where you might be able to get parts for it, and it will speed things up for you as well. Remember, everyone who answers questions for you here is volunteering to do so, and a little help makes our job easier. We get that most people don't like to share too much info online so if you're uncomfortable, at least put the general geographical area like "northwest" or "deep south" or at least the continent you're on in your profile. You probably already do it on Facebook...

Include the model and year of your bike in your profile - and you can add that info to your signature later, as well (after 10 posts). This will help speed up the process of getting help and keep us from guessing what bike you're talking about

Do your best to take and post quality pictures - right side up, preferably from a computer or a phone not restricted by being full, so they zoom when we try to look at them. If you post a sideways or upside down picture, or if it doesn't zoom in, there's less chance anyone will be able to help you.

It also helps to watch the text being typed as you do so... most computers with Windows have a level of spell check built into them and the forum will underline misspelled words with a red squiggly line so you know what is incorrect. And phones are notorious for auto-correct completely screwing up what you meant. It's a minor thing, but can sometimes lead to a total misunderstanding.

Language - keep it clean - we're not prudes here, trust me (at least I'm not, far from it) but again, when in Rome... there are young members here, many under legal driving age, and the Moderators and Admins would prefer that we keep it PG and I, for one, agree. Too many forums get caught up in dropping F-bombs and it takes away from the overall fun and knowledge sharing we do a lot of around here. Drop F-bombs or make references to certain parts of the human anatomy with the boys over beers, or in private messages if the system will let you, but let's keep the public area clean (enough)

Try to avoid hijacking someone else's thread. I've done it, we've all done it and it's tempting to inject something somewhat relevant into a spot where it seems to fit. An occasional off-topic comment is okay, especially if the OP joins in the laugh or surprise that it might be, but jumping in with your first post to offer advice when you've been here for all of 2 minutes (see Member Introductions) or worse, to post an ad to sell your bike or parts... yes, your bike might be awesome at a good price or your advice might be sound and based on great accumulated knowledge none of us are aware of, but in that case - at least do an introduction first and give us a little background to go on.

Last - and if you learn this early, we'll know you were paying attention to the important stuff too - if you plan to post something long and explanatory, or if you're adding lots of pictures, your login will time out if you don't remember to check the box "Remember Me" at login.
    Last edited by ancientdad; Today at 07:47 AM.
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Roger that....Ill make updates right away
    Sunny
    ancientdad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyd8015 View Post
    Roger that....Ill make updates right away
    Sunny
    Wow - no need to reply to it Sunny, it was just for informational purposes! Good that you read it though... I always wonder how many actually do
    chaindrivecharlie likes this.
    Tom

Budget drag bike project

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Wow - no need to reply to it Sunny, it was just for informational purposes! Good that you read it though... I always wonder how many actually do

Read what?
    '76 CB500T Frankenbike
    '73 CL450 (basket case for now)

Carpe narem.

We'll know who later when they ask about being logged out while posting...
    Tom

Budget drag bike project

I'm probably in the minority here, But...
    I'm not really fussed with all those rules...
    Other than being Civil to each other ( though I've been here long enough to see some threads turn into lord of the flies and get deleted )
    Sure if you want to be part of the community then posting about yourself is great, but some members just join to find out one or two things or sell a part or two, as long as they're not abusive and post in the correct section I'll happily forgo the foreplay of getting to know them.
    I don't need to know someones back story to tell them there's a case bolt hidden below the oil drain bolt on a 175, they just need to be respectful in thier tone....if they're not I just don't bother posting

But that's just me...

I'll try to keep my "potty mouth" in check
    "Yes, my hands and nails have grease stains. I ride vintage!"
    -xulf13-

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Axel View Post
    I'll try to keep my "potty mouth" in check
    SURE you will... but it might depend somewhat on your brew batch of the week and how much of it is left at the end of an evening...
    Tom

Budget drag bike project

hello thanks for letting me into your club

Quote Originally Posted by david pollard View Post
    hello thanks for letting me into your club
    We let everyone in... but it's always nice when someone takes a moment to introduce themselves, the group tends to respond more favorably
    Tom

Budget drag bike project

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links