Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mike in idaho

Thread: Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission?

Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission?

Yes, it’s all true. Well, it kind of depends on your bike. Some motorcycles with great big flywheels and big gears, like many Harleys and some BMW Boxers, need the clutch – or at least a little clutch – for nearly every shift. Most sportbikes only need you to use the clutch to pull away from stops and for the shift from first to second gear.

At slow, around-town speeds, we mostly use at least a little clutch to shift anyway; you don’t need to pull the lever all the way in every time you use it. But if you’re steadily accelerating, and especially at WOT (wide open throttle), you’ll find that after second gear, if you roll the throttle closed just enough to unload the driveline, for just a split second, with your toe pressing on the lever, then third gear will slip right in without using the clutch at all. Fourth, 5th and 6th will slip in even easier since the gaps between them are increasingly smaller. Done smoothly, it’s no harder on your gearbox than using the clutch.
    Read more about Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission? at Motorcycle.com.

Hello, new to the forum so sorry if I'm asking this in the completely wrong place, but I purchased a 1973 Honda CB350 Twin recently and am getting ready to put the crankcase back together. I am wondering if their is a specific gear I should put the transmission into before doing so. Would appreciate any help, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycle.com View Post
    Seems like a totally lame thing to do on a 40-50 year old motorcycle that has the parts sources drying up a little more every day.
    use2b likes this.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD