Honda Twins banner

What did you do to your Twin this week?

148K views 1K replies 198 participants last post by  StVincent 
#1 ·
This should be fun, I'll start...

A couple of weeks ago the 175 broke a link on the chain and stranded me....
The chain didn't separate completely it just hopped off the sprocket. But it ground up the nuts on the sprocket before I could get stopped, so I'll be replacing those as well as the chain and both adjusters. The adjusters are both wasted and were basically just jammed on by somebody...
So, new chain, some nuts, adjusters from Ebay and I bought a pair of Gazelle's so I'll probably just go ahead and mount them as well and I haven't really checked the bearings but if they need it, now's the time! :)
Plus I won't be able to resist cleaning polishing everything....................

#2 ·
Tonight

Clear

Low: -10 °F
Friday

Sunny

High: 16 °F

Friday
Night

Mostly
Clear

Low: 5 °F

Saturday

Increasing
Clouds

High: 25 °F

Saturday
Night

Slight Chc
Snow

Low: 13 °F

Sunday

Decreasing
Clouds

High: 29 °F

Sunday
Night

Mostly
Clear

Low: 11 °F

Monday

Chance
Snow

High: 30 °F

Monday
Night

Chance
Snow

Low: 21 °F

I wrapped my twins in a really thick blanket and stayed close to the fire!:twisted:

#4 ·
Not a thing this week, Been busy building a pantry for my daughter. Last week however I started re-assembling the CB400T1. The CL350 and the CM400 are both parked under covers outside while the CB is being done, roadworthy and ready to go if/when I get the time.

Reactions: TravisNTN
#5 ·
I ordered the last upgrade items for my 360 (new mufflers and SS brake lines) from www.common-motor.com. I dropped my 350 top end off for evaluation by a machine shop. I'm still cleaning up the 350 crankcases. I also placed an order with Honda for the seals and bits required for putting the cases back together.

Snow on the ground this morning even in West Texas!! Supposed to hit the 70s on Sunday, so I should still get a ride in this weekend.

#6 ·
Yup, I just looked at her freezing cold in the garage and prayed for spring.

#7 ·
If you call it work, I upped the price on Craigslist for my rebel cause I really don't want to sell it hahaha, but if someone wants it ..so be it!!
It's to cold to even go out to the shop let alone do much. this cold crap gotta end!
The first day it hits 40 I'm going for a ride!!!!!!!!

#8 ·
Took my last ride of the season on Dec 15, put her is the garage with full tank(treated fuel). Brought battery inside on tender. Too cold to go out an do anything on it. Prostrate surgery last month, so can't do anything at all physically till end of march. All I can do is 'think spring'....LOL. Gonna be lots to do then. Wanna change headlight bucket, Clean carbs , check compression and maybe do top end , cam chain guides and tensioner, raise saddlebags because they are too close to mufflers.......and anything else I come across along the way.........LOL

#10 ·
Bummer.... We've had a sickeningly mild winter here, 26 days in Feb with temps above 50 and 24 dry days... Even for the west coast this isn't normal, I'm dying to get back on the bike!

#11 ·
Jim's CB450 K5

Forecast for Seattle today:
  • Today Sunny, with a high near 53. Light and variable wind becoming north northwest 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon.
  • Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around 34. Calm wind becoming east southeast around 6 mph in the evening.
  • Sunday Sunny, with a high near 54. Southeast wind 5 to 7 mph becoming west in the afternoon.

And no motorcycle to ride!

I did get started running wires for the new wiring harness. I made the form board last week off of the original harness.

Here is the form board and a closeup of the battery hook up area:

Automotive exterior

Electrical wiring Wire Electronics Cable management Electrical supply

I also scored a nice Cannon Digital camera on ebay. It includes a macro setting for getting nice close ups. It will up the game on the images I post on this forum.

My weekend runs from Sunday to Tuesday. I hope to get the rest of the wires run and wrapped. Time permitting get the partially completed harness fit checked to the bike. Then the next step is do the wire terminations hand hook everything up. Then brakes, foot pegs, exhaust, carburetors, oil, gas and FIRE!

#12 ·
New tires arrived yesterday but will have to wait until maintenance is done on the Subaru. Just finished the PITA job of changing the plugs and have a short list to go on the car today. Replacing the rusted out mufflers are next in line after the tires. The gaskets are on order, so I can get the spare oem ones installed as soon as parts arrive.

#13 ·
Installed new O-rings in carb to head boot and reinstalled cleaned carbs, then did a Compression test with my newly acquired gauge on the CB400NA.

Did more assessment and list making of repairs/work needed to get the CB400Tii roadworthy...

#14 ·
I didn't think I had anything to say to this question, but then remembered that I bought a primary cover on ebay as the one that came with the pile of parts I bought was for a CB350. I found out the hard way that SL350s are different!

Temps here are a comfortable 25 C in F that's about 80ish, starting to get dark in the morning in this hemisphere but since we can ride all year its not a big deal.

Cheers,
Gazza

#15 ·
Last week I FINALLY received my head and cylinders back from the shop and started putting her back together. I was making exceptional progress until I was unable to locate the 6mm lock pin that holds the cam chain tensioner in place :sad:. A 50 cent part holding up the whole build! Soooooo this week What I did for my Twin was drive to every hardware shop with the tensioner pin in hand and looked for a replacement. Ultimately I ordered one from Partzilla along with some other parts I wanted to replace. Super lame....

#16 ·
Got my Gazelles on but still staring at it while I wait on more parts........
Bearings are still on the way
Fork seals were the wrong size.................. :mad:
Hoping for a rear dust seal on ebay (I can continue with the one I have but not forever...)
trying to find the correct fork boots.......
But I did a lot of polishing while I wait.....

#17 ·
Within the last two weeks I got round to repairing my starter clutch. This involved a replacement rotor due to a broken tab as well as new rollers, caps and springs. The level of dismantle allowed for oil change, filter cleaning, gasket renewal, cam chain tension and static timing. The next job was fitting Electronic Ignition. I'm pretty much ready to go for Spring now. Hopefully the increased oportunity to ride will allow me to carry on tweaking my carbs. I have a +1.00 overbore, a pattern exhaust system, an aftermarket set of needles and a generally rich condition. By the time the Summer ends I hope to have improved it.

#19 ·
Finally get it back together

1. Fork seals
  2. Fork boots
  3. Wheel bearings
  4. Chain and rear sproket retainers
  5. New Gazelles
  6. Restored the gauges
  7. Polished eveything I could reach
  8. Clutch adjustment

Then it started acting up. turned out the fuel valve was clogged..... :mad: but I had bought a new one so now I will pull and clean the tank......

Reactions: MDM
#21 ·
Well, in the past week I completed my CL450 rebuild but then had to...

- pull the motor
- remove all covers including cam block bearings
- remove clutch basket, oil pump and oil filter
- split the cases
- reassemble the motor
- put the motor back in the frame
- disassemble the tach & speedo, powdered coated the cases, reassembled and reinstalled
- installed CL450 header for the first time (good news is the left side air filter cover and air filter, carb and drive gear cover can be removed with the header in place)
- found out the starter clutch that I rebuilt is still FUBAR - I need to locate a good replacement starter gear
- Attempted first start after rebuild with no joy (a real head scratcher) - getting fuel/air and getting spark at right time but no pop.

better ask me next week :(

#22 ·
Nothing, I'm still sulking about having to pull my Sabre carbs off again and worse, I put the BMW in the shop after I dumped it avoiding road debris.

#24 ·
I was taking the bike for a run and noticed I had no brake lights. First stop was the fuse box, everything ok. Next stop was the tail light because I have customized the back end and thought maybe a connection had come loose, everything ok. Next stop the headlight because that's where everything seems to start, everything ok. I finally narrow it down the brake petal switch. Three turns of the plastic adjustment nut and there was light. I missed a nice ride but it's fixed. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

#27 · (Edited)
"Blue Jay" got the new kicker adjusted to sit right, Oil changed, chain tension adjusted, modified forward controls resoldered and tied in ([L]is 68? CB350 [R] is from totaled 83 Yamaha 550 Maxim Seca) all of the main loom jerked off and gone over with a fine tooth comb and reconstructed from taillight connections to the headlight bucket "NEST".

I have finally spied a decent '71 SL 175 K1 "Fart Can" (Muffler) on Ebay and I will be ordering in the next couple of Days.
I will also be getting a proper battery, since I can't ride with my shop system testing set up (wrong dimension battery with correct V/aH)

As soon as it arrives performing clean up, spot patch, repaint and install said fart can and the K0 chrome heatshield from the bikes original but decimated muffler.(1,500° Satin Charcoal Semi Metallic Black BBQ Grill paint--Overkill?, Maybe but it should do nicely)

All goes well I will get to ride, tune, and troubleshoot on the fly by next weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.