What did you do to your Twin this week? - Page 136
Page 136 of 137 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 134 135 136 137 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1367
Like Tree991Likes

Thread: What did you do to your Twin this week?

I've been riding the bike to work and back since. And it is working awesome, pull strong (for an old twin)! But my speedometer is noisy now. New cable in, so I greased the end that goes into the gauge , put it back in there and will see. I may put grease or lube in the gauge itself if it still make noise. Stay tune!
    JL
    1979 CB 400 T (Cafe Racer)

The Lithium grease didn't do the job! Took the speedo off the bike, put up side down on a bench and put synthetic penetrating lubricant a few times and let it soak. Put it back and voila.... No more noise so far!
    JL

Quote Originally Posted by Polish View Post
    The Lithium grease didn't do the job! Took the speedo off the bike, put up side down on a bench and put synthetic penetrating lubricant a few times and let it soak. Put it back and voila.... No more noise so far!
    I hope it didn't get too far into the mechanism, since in the past I've seen some gauges with light oil crawling its way onto the gauge face (where the speeds are printed) from the internal parts below it... and of course, the only way to clean it off is to disassemble the gauge. Glad the noise is cured though
    chaindrivecharlie likes this.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

So far nothing into the face and it's right side up now! Thx, will see.
    JL

This week I tried to set the points, found one original and one aftermarket, the original being worn to the point of me being unable to set.

So I ordered a new set of points, stator cover gasket, and some extra spark plugs. I adjusted the cam chain tensioner and valves, but got stuck on the points so she's out of commission until usps priority comes through.

So on the models where the valve adjustment is done from the screws on either side, you do everything from just the left side? The manual doesn't mention checking the valve clearances on the right side, but I'm going to go ahead and check it anyway before I fire it up.
    1971 CB350k3

Quote Originally Posted by thats_incentive View Post
    This week I tried to set the points, found one original and one aftermarket, the original being worn to the point of me being unable to set.

So I ordered a new set of points, stator cover gasket, and some extra spark plugs. I adjusted the cam chain tensioner and valves, but got stuck on the points so she's out of commission until usps priority comes through.

So on the models where the valve adjustment is done from the screws on either side, you do everything from just the left side? The manual doesn't mention checking the valve clearances on the right side, but I'm going to go ahead and check it anyway before I fire it up.
    Yes, you have to do both sides separately... do the left at LT on compression stroke, the turn to T on compression stroke to do the right side using the same method as with the left (and of course, remember to point the little "arrows" on the adjuster shafts outward on the right side too)
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Ah see I didn't realize there were another set of adjusters, but I peeked in that right cover back when I didn't know this was a method of tappet adjustment so didn't know what I was looking at. Cool!

And I have heard warnings about those index marks, but when I adjusted the left side there wasn't really any way to have them not pointing outwards without giving way too much clearance. What's the deal how would they get switched 180 degrees out? And how would you get them back?
    1971 CB350k3

Finished phase #341.25 of my 7 year restoration journey.

Took Clara out for a 30 Mile ride today.

First day of turning heads instead of wrenches on her since 2017.

What did you do to your Twin this week?-ht01.jpgWhat did you do to your Twin this week?-ht02.jpg

Now I can start fixing rust on my 1972 Dodge Dart while I ride Clara this summer.

What did you do to your Twin this week?-dart.jpg
    1970 CL350

Senior Member chaindrivecharlie's Avatar
    That is one sweet looking CL, love the Dart too.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
    Charlie

1972 CL 175 K6
    1972 CL 350 K4
    1981 CM 400 C

Joshua 24:15

Thanks Charlie!
    I love the early 70s, my next project will be a 1968-72 Dodge D100 Pickup, probably going to be Panther Pink. That way I'll have all 3 of my favorite colors.
    chaindrivecharlie likes this.
    1970 CL350

Page 136 of 137 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 134 135 136 137 LastLast

Sponsored Links