Mitigating the ill effects of gasoline with ethanol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mitigating the ill effects of gasoline with ethanol

I have been doing some reading on how gasoline with ethanol is bad for our bikes, especially if they aren't ridden frequently, and what can be done about it. Here are a couple of links that I found that summed it up very well:
    More on Fuel And Fuel Additives - Fear the Corn? | Randakk's Blog
    ABC's... & E of Ethanol

Looks like the best thing to do is to avoid ethanol based gasoline. I found this website which has a list of all ethanol-free gas station across the US and Canada:
    Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
    There are only two pumps in all of CA apparently. The one in San Diego, only has 100 octane in ethanol free gas (I lived right next to this station, and can confirm this).

So, for those of us who cannot get ethanol-free gas, the best option seems to be to use a fuel stabilizer with ethanol treatment. STA-BIL makes a Marine Formula Ethanol Treatment and Fuel Stabilizer, which seems to have great reviews all over the web.
    Amazon.com: STA-BIL 22240 Marine Fuel Stabilizer - 32 oz.: Automotive

Anybody here tried this? Please share your experiences and any other suggestions.

Another alternative to STA-BIL is Star Tron (Thanks captb): http://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Enz...pr_product_top

lets hear some more, bump

i would also like to hear other opinions too. im a little skeptical about using fuel stabilizer and the nearest ethanol free gas station to me would be at least a 5 hour drive

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for putting this thread up here ninadm . I hope I can find a station on that link not far from me here in Delmont,PA. that'll sell it to me for around $4 a gal. but not any higher. I Really like the performance of that fuel.

Looks like theres one about 30 mins from Delmont, PA:
    pure-gas.org : display a station
    No idea about the pricing though. You can call them and see. Would be useful to know if that is more expensive than regular fuel and by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Franchesco_94 View Post
    i would also like to hear other opinions too. im a little skeptical about using fuel stabilizer and the nearest ethanol free gas station to me would be at least a 5 hour drive
    Have you had any bad experiences with fuel stabilizers? Please share why they might be bad. The marine formula seems to be regular fuel stabilizer + some ethanol treatment stuff, so we would want to make sure the stabilizer is not bad for the engine. They recommend using the product with every tank of gas and not just during storage.

I've used Startron for a long time no fuel issues. Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - HOME
    SL350K2 Restoration and mods Link http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...oject-log.html

VFR700F2 Restoration and mods http://hondavfr700.wix.com/honda-vfr700-f2-rc26

SV650 Modified dual Sport https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...ohqJg5wM9vvQAw

Sent from my Bell 500 Rotary Phone using Rotatalk

Honda VFR700F2
    Honda SL350K2 V2.5
    Suzuki SV650 DualSport RestoMod
    3000GT
    Genesis Coupe 2.0T

Someone I know whos been running ATVs and buggies in the desert for years recommended this to me:
    Ethanol Equalizer » Liquid Performance

Will be a while before I run out of the the Sta-Bil I bought, but I will probably try this next.

Quote Originally Posted by ninadm View Post
    Looks like theres one about 30 mins from Delmont, PA:
    pure-gas.org : display a station
    No idea about the pricing though. You can call them and see. Would be useful to know if that is more expensive than regular fuel and by how much.
    Thanks for finding that ninadm, I called them in No. Huntingdon(90 oct.) and they want $4.99 a gal. so I'll try around a little more first

Notice the list has no NJ stations, so ethanol free gas isn't even an option.

If you replace the components that fail from ethanol (float needle valve with the rubber point, gasket material, on Honda's with CV carbsm the diaphragm) then the ethanol is not that big of an issue.

I use an external paper element fuel filter, so tank cleaning is not an issue.

The real issue is the lean condtion (ethanol is an oxygenate) caused by the fuel, and the lower energy density.

If needed, re-jetting is the cure for the lean condition.

Lower mileage is the only thing that can't be remediated.

Sea Foam has worked well for me, with no carb issues on all my various weedeaters, mower, gas engine blowers, generator, and 2 bikes.

As far as storage, even un-ethanoled gas loses most of it's volatiles and causes gum and varnish issues. Ethanol adds water to the mix, but under long term storage, condensation still gets in the fuel, as water is heavier than oil, so it sinks to the bottom too.

Carburetors are not worse off then older fuel injections sytems. the article suggests carbs have smaller passages than FI, but if you examine the Injector, it has much finer passages then a carb. In addition, I can change all the internal ethanol sensitive parts in the carb, while injectors need to be replaced if actually blocked with dirt.

So you can update most components to withstand ehtanol.
    Richard

Mydlyfkryzis = Mid Life Crisis
    My Build:http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...-ignition.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links