Gas: Premium, or not? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gas: Premium, or not?

Super Moderator longdistancerider's Avatar
    The recommended octane for your bike is 86 pump number. This applies to all of the 1978-86 CB/CM 400/450's.
    The "premium" fuel underground storage tank at a gas station is @10% the size of the "regular" tank so there is less fuel in there and needs refilling more often. I know of 2 fuel stops in my area that only sell regular and diesel due to they're location, 40+ miles from the nearest town with more than 200 people,
    Jim O'Brien
    1979 CM400T "road bike" modified for travelling
    1978 CB400T1 restored
    1972 CL350 survivor restoration

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22...d-attempt.html and https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...r-attempt.html
    Road Trip https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/11...here-i-go.html or "where's Jim now?"
    Member Map https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/dcMembermap.php

I run non oxy premium in all my air cooled machines. Though the price really has skyrocketed.

Premium is a waste if your engine has stock compression and timing.

Sent from planet Earth using mysterious electronic devices and Tapatalk
    Richard

Mydlyfkryzis = Mid Life Crisis
    My Build:http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...-ignition.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

In my 74 Beetle its a necessity. Sadly its the only way to get non corn gas in my state.

For what it's worth, here's some thoughts on fuels and our bikes, as tested in a k1 cb750, a 65 cb160 and a 66 CA100 super cub. I have to preface this by saying I run very small amounts of lead substitute in all these bikes, and not super religiously, and I'm comparing it to 87 octane (gasahol) I have tried 104 octane leaded cam 2. The cb 750 liked it, but the thinner fuel wept from the carbs. The super cub leaked profusely, and did not run very well. The cb160 showed no discernible difference.
    I then took 5 gals of 91 octane unleaded sunoco 'real gas' home with me after a track day. EVERY BIKE ran better. Snappier, easier to start, and a noticeable seat-of-the-pants change in performance.

There's no doubt that gas without ethanol in it runs better, even if you don't need the higher octane; higher-octane with ethanol is, IMO, a waste of time, and may run worse, since it is the ethanol that gives it the octane boost. Keeping it dry is paramount, too; don't let your bike sit around with a half tank, or it will get wet inside.
    As far as lead substitute goes, it won't do anything for your 750, because Honda had long since begun using hardened valves and valve seats; I don't know what years they began, so can't be so positive about the earlier ones.
    Rick

Mine is a mostly 1970 CB450K3

Found this great blog post on the drawbacks of ethanol added gasoline:
    More on Fuel And Fuel Additives - Fear the Corn? | Randakk's Blog
    I especially like the list of suggestions.

Look at #5 on the link above on ethanol. It is the lean out effect. Would premium help this lean out effect?

I want all my bikes to run on the least best gas available. Last thing I want is to be running low on fuel and need to drive 10 miles to the airport for AvGas. There is another thread here on ethanol and it has suggested using Sta-bil and MMO. I plan to put an ounce of MMO in my tank this afternoon. It already has Sta-Bil but not the marine. I StaBil often cause you never know when they will get parked for 3 or 4 months.
    Mike

CT90 (2)
    SL350 - k1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links