Vermont Registrationand does Vermont still - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Vermont Registrationand does Vermont still

Just to add to the info exchange:
    The loophole hinges on the fact that Vermont doesn't title vehicles older than 15 years as well as allowing out of state registration ...so older vehicles.
    1980 cb400t Hawk

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

So I gues what I don't get is-Does your dmv even check if there is a active or previous title in the system before transferring it to your state and issuing a title? Just because you got a bike somehow doesn't mean there isn't a legal title holding owner out there.

Senior Member Carnivorous Chicken's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    So I gues what I don't get is-Does your dmv even check if there is a active or previous title in the system before transferring it to your state and issuing a title? Just because you got a bike somehow doesn't mean there isn't a legal title holding owner out there.
    Do you mean if you get a Vermont title? Yes, they check. Same with abonded title or abandoned vehicle title. IF it's hot, you're outta luck.
    1965 CL160 project
    1966 CB77 project
    1968 CL175 sloper
    1969 CB160
    1972 Yamaha CS3 (sold!)
    1973 CB350F (Red)
    1973 CB350F (Green)
    1973 CB350F (green) project
    1975 CB400F engine in a 1973 350F frame
    1975 CB550K
    1977 CB400F
    Various jumbled bits and pieces...

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivorous Chicken View Post
    Do you mean if you get a Vermont title? Yes, they check. Same with abonded title or abandoned vehicle title. IF it's hot, you're outta luck.
    No, title in your state. I'm talking about "chain of ownership". I've thought about it and I guess the loophole is that Vermont doesn't require you to prove a chain of ownership. They will issue you a registration that you can use to get a title in your state. Your state only will look at your legitimate Vermont paperwork and assume everything is in order. You won't have to fill out extra "chain of ownership" papers/legwork even though someone might have snuck the bike out of someone's barn(he's old and doesn't realize it's gone,or any number of different scenarios), a month earlier. Now two people have a legal title but only one has legal ownership. I think that's how it works.
    Last edited by Lefty; 10-11-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Just to show you how Florida is - and though the DMV can be a pain at times, something like this is an example of how it can be beneficial - my Dad sold a small Yamaha dirt bike (100cc or so) long ago and signed the title, handed it to the new owner and that guy never titled it in his name. Not too long after that the bike was stolen from the buyer, and somewhere close to 10 years later they came to my Dad's house telling him they found his Yamaha.
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links