pilot jet aggravation
    jml

pilot jet aggravation

Pilot jets should always be clear from end-to-end, right? The jets in my '83 Ascot (VT500FT) that had been sitting since the early '90s were closed off right where the outer diameter gets smaller (see picture), and after soaking them, poking them, heating them, beating them, and doing everything else I could think of, the best I got was a pinhole barely big enough to fit one strand of a copper electrical wire through there on one jet, and no change on the other. I finally threw in the towel and bought a set of used jets off of eBay that were supposed to be clear, but they're exactly the same, down to a pinhole on one and no light getting through on the other. I don't see any way these would work in the shape they're in, but having two identical sets is making me question my sanity. Am I missing something? I even tried sticking a .050" Allen wrench down in my original jets and tapping with a hammer, but if it's actually crap built up in there it's basically welded to the body of the jet. If they really are supposed to be clear, any other suggestions? (To be clear, the small holes in the narrow part of the jets are all clear, that's not an issue. The jets are all closed off at the shoulder going longways.)

pilot jet aggravation-_20190405_155609.jpg

the holes in those jets are very small. sounds like you're just destroying them.
    Last edited by middletons; 04-05-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    1972 CL450
    1972 CL350
    1975 CB360

jml
    Smaller than the ID of the rest of the jet body? No matter how small they are, it seems like I should still be able to see light through them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

if you happen to have access to electric guitar strings, the high E on a set of 10's has fit through every idle jet i've run across. and yes, they do sometimes have a step part way down the hole.
    Last edited by middletons; 04-05-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    1972 CL450
    1972 CL350
    1975 CB360

Get a set of small drill bits that a designed to clean carbs, ebay sells them for a couple bucks. If you ream out the hole wider than spec your bike ain't gonna run right.
    1981 Honda CX500D
    1974 Honda CB450
    1986 Yamaha Radian 600

Martha's Vineyard Ma

The hole SHOULD go straight through lengthwise....
    It is a # 38 jet. so the actual diameter of the hole is 0.38 mm or .01496"...(very close to 1/64"), so that .050" wrench is over three times too large to fit through.....

I use two strands of copper from a stock Honda wire (metric, but approx 18 Ga.) tightly twisted to resemble a drill bit, lots of carb cleaner and PATIENCE..... It will eventually clear........
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 04-05-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

jml
    Quote Originally Posted by 66Sprint View Post
    The hole SHOULD go straight through lengthwise....
    It is a # 38 jet. so the actual diameter of the hole is 0.38 mm or .01496"...(very close to 1/64"), so that .050" wrench is over three times too large to fit through.....

I use two strands of copper from a stock Honda wire (metric, but approx 18 Ga.) tightly twisted to resemble a drill bit, lots of carb cleaner and PATIENCE..... It will eventually clear........
    I didn't know how the # related to actual size; that's very useful information, thanks. I fooled around with it and almost-but-not-quite got it running on both cylinders (full choke and a shot of carb cleaner in the rear and it would idle well for a few seconds), but I ran out of time and had to call it a day. I'm going to mess with it again over the weekend and see if I can get it sorted out once and for all.

BTW, I think you were the one that replied to my question about not getting spark a week or two ago; I got that connection sorted out and I'm seeing good spark now. I was working on a hundred different things at once and didn't reply to the post.

Sponsored Links