Has anyone used this?
    I'm trying to prepare for the winter months and I was shopping for a battery charger. Has anyone bought one of these? If not what does everyone use to keep their battery charged in the cold winter months? Besides riding it I mean?
    Do many of you ride during the winter months? I am planning to in between snow and rain freezing on the roads.. When it freezes with water on the ground, or snows, I won't be riding. But I will need it when it thaws.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anyone used this?-screenshot_20190914-204117_1568508350274.jpg  

I use a battery tender junior, it does all the same things as its bigger brothers, but its only a 3/4 amp charger which is desirable for my batteries. You can find these for $20-$30.
    CB250 Nighthawk projects 92,93,92.
    81 CM400C Sold
    93 CB750 Nighthawk Sold
    73 CB750K3 Long term project stuck in the 'parts collecting stage.'
    Fork Swap info: http://sites.google.com/site/alansdocuments/

If you have a conventional wet cell battery you need to check the water level periodically, so the charger doesn't run it dry.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Alan F. View Post
    I use a battery tender junior, it does all the same things as its bigger brothers, but its only a 3/4 amp charger which is desirable for my batteries. You can find these for $20-$30.
    The only reason I wanted this one was due to not having a garage to park my motorcycle in. I keep it covered with a motorcycle tarp right next to my back door.
    I figure, if I get an 18 AWG extension cord, I could run it out my backdoor, or through the window. I don't know how well it would work in the ice, snow, and rain.
    If it stood the test of time, I could use it on my newer bike, when I am able to buy one.
    Thanks for the info.

It would be better to take take it out and find a spot for it, indoors, for the winter.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD

Quote Originally Posted by mike in idaho View Post
    It would be better to take take it out and find a spot for it, indoors, for the winter.
    Well I guess I could rent a storage unit. I'll check around town for one. I'll just have to go back to riding my bicycle or the bus for a few months.
    Now I need to search on how to get my bike ready for the winter. And then search for how to get it running again after a winter hibernation.
    Should I leave a battery charger on it while it's in storage? It has a sealed battery
    Thanks. This is a start for me at least.
    Have a great day!

I think he meant to bring just the battery indoors and plug in the charger for just a short time every week. No need to leave a battery on a charger, even a battery tender through the entire winter.

By the way, Battery Tender does make a weatherproof unit.
    Battery Tender 800mAmp 022-0150-DL-WH
    CB250 Nighthawk projects 92,93,92.
    81 CM400C Sold
    93 CB750 Nighthawk Sold
    73 CB750K3 Long term project stuck in the 'parts collecting stage.'
    Fork Swap info: http://sites.google.com/site/alansdocuments/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan F. View Post
    I think he meant to bring just the battery indoors and plug in the charger for just a short time every week. No need to leave a battery on a charger, even a battery tender through the entire winter.

By the way, Battery Tender does make a weatherproof unit.
    Battery Tender 800mAmp 022-0150-DL-WH
    Yes. I thought he was talking about the whole Motorcycle at first. I got it now. Thanks.
    I still think I need to do some things to get it ready for winter. And then again in the spring. I think I caught a glance of that somewhere. I'm just oncall tomorrow so will search for it then.
    Thanks for the link!

For all the time it takes to disconnect the battery, I'd prefer to bring it indoors rather than run a lead to an outside charger.

Fwiw I use one of the modern battery chargers with the voltage sensing capabilities. They adjust the charge/charging profile depending on what state the battery is in - so are better at trying to bring old batteries back to life and also safe to leave on batteries indefinitely, as they automatically cut the current to prevent overcharging as the battery approaches fully charged. With a few cars and bikes around the house, I just rotate it between the vehicles once a week or so to keep everything healthy.

The one I use is an Optimate (iv I think ?). Not cheap, but I reckon it's paid for itself a couple of times over at this stage through keeping older batteries alive
    CB450 K5

You could set a timer to run the battery charger for a short period each day, that way you wouldn't have to remember to charge it periodically. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MVFF59S...2832280201&sb-
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD