Charlies ignition - thinking of buying one - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Charlies ignition - thinking of buying one

I've had a look at spare parts picture and can't tell what bushing the points shaft may run through or a part number. Any help with this part would be great. (please and thanks)

I guess I need to take the cylinder head off so this may move the job back in the line of "little projects" but I will do it as the bike will be perfect once this miss fire is sorted

Have a good one
    Scott

Scott, Are you SURE you are not just observing the difference in height of various areas of the breaker lobe as it spins? This could be misconstrued as a "wobble" and you may just need to tune the ignition up (points, condensers and ADJUSTMENTS)......

IF NOT, the advance shaft runs inside the camshaft half... the flat tab on its inner end keys into the cam sprocket, which is also the advance unit and joint for the camshaft halves....
    The camshaft runs in roller bearings which MAY be worn if thinned or inadequate oil was supplied to them... Plus, the camshaft sections are held together by a large splined nut which MAY have become loose , skewing the joint and causing the shaft wobble......OR, it could just be cumulative wear or corrosion
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

A misfire under load would seem to point to a lack of adequate spark energy. If the timing was jumping around, from advancer wear or whatever, the miss should occur with or without a load at a certain rpm. It might be interesting to try closing up the plug gap(or widening it) to see how that affects the spark quality.
    Number13 likes this.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I'm going to try get some time this weekend to look at the bike.

The battery is a bit tired, but I bought one of those pit starter or race bike starters for just this sort of thing and I'm wanting to test it out.

I think from memory I ordered a condenser some time ago so maybe fit that too along with changing plug gaps to see what happens.

I'm going to try get some time this weekend to look at the bike.

The battery is a bit tired, but I bought one of those pit starter or race bike starters for just this sort of thing and I'm wanting to test it out.

I think from memory I ordered a condenser some time ago so maybe fit that too along with changing plug gaps to see what happens.

the time difference between the US and AUS is a real bugger for forum talk isn't it Scott.
    cheers, Gary.

I've been curious on this too, both on the Shockwave and more so on the Charlie's Place. I thought my Pamco was cool **** at first. But... by the end of the season I viewed it as a liability rather than an upgrade. Everyone here has some strong opinions on the Pamco's. I have since flipped. I need to see some solid development and extensive testing to get me to ride my bike 200 miles out of the city with an EI hooked up. You can easily carry spare ignition parts. But, what do you do when an E-advance goes out, etc. Even the ignitions that got installed on my dad's muscle cars were giving him woes (same deal as the Pamco, not enough advance). Needless to say I'm a little gun shy about EI at this point. Especially since setting the points isn't a mystery.
    2x 1973 CB350G

The Shockwave (just like any EI unit out there) is just as much as liability IMO.

Scramblr found out the hard way this past Sunday when his Shockwave's sensor melted.
    '76 CB500T Frankenbike
    '73 CL450 (basket case for now)

Carpe narem.

Quote Originally Posted by 76TWIN View Post
    The Shockwave (just like any EI unit out there) is just as much as liability IMO.

Scramblr found out the hard way this past Sunday when his Shockwave's sensor melted.
    Ya that's what I'm paranoid about
    2x 1973 CB350G

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links