HondaTwins Forums

CB200 Olive is back on the road again

Thread: CB200 Olive is back on the road again

Tags: None

HondaCB200Lady said:
    Well not been out on Olive much this year, Steve takes her to work every now and again to keep her in running order. Decided to have a little run out on her today to a local classic car and bike show, quite cold and windy but only a 40 mile round trip so not so bad. Think she could do with a service before the winter so that will be on the to do list.

We came back home and decided to go out on the Yamaha Fazer 600 we got last week. I am hoping to be able to ride it as well as Steve but am going to take my time getting used to the weight and handling of it. The brakes are so sharp so just a little start and stopping on the driveway for now. Then we went out for a long ride so I could get used to pillion riding on it, the foot pegs are a lot higher than the VFR750 so a different technique needed for getting on and off gracefully! Great fun bike though and it really gave my arm muscles a work out with the acceleration. It needs the near suspension tweaking though as I was off the pegs and seat quite a lot. Steve checked the setup when we got back and it is on the hardest setting with hardly any travel. Looking forward to the next trip out once it is adjusted. Forecast is for warmer weather next week around 17/18 degrees so if the rain holds off we will get out again.
    Irene

1977 CB200 Olive
    1979 CD185
    1976 Kawasaki Z400 (KZ400 in USA) not a Honda but still a twin

HondaCB200Lady said:
    Not been out much lately riding Olive or my Z500, a chest infection and really bad allergies have meant I have been pillion most of this year.

I did manage a ride out yesterday on Olive though. Steve did the usual safety checks and discovered that one of the front engine mount bolts had lost it's nut! A quick search for an elusive replacement and a double check that all the others were tightened up and we were ready to go. It just shows how much vibration these little twins produce when you are trying to get the most out of them!

Steve rode my Z400 and we headed on the North Yorkshire back roads through Northallerton, on to Thirsk and up the infamous Sutton Bank. This is closed to cars towing caravans due to how steep it is and how many times people have become stuck part way up with burnt out clutch! I managed to get to the top on Olive despite the inexperienced car drivers in front of me who were crawling as they had selected the wrong gear. At one point I had to weave side to side in my lane to keep the momentum going, I must have picked up this trick from watching Le Tour de France. It worked and once at the top we headed for the glider station for lunch, the weather was beautiful with clear views for miles around.

Once refreshed we headed back out and on to Helmsley and towards home on my favourite road, nicknamed the North Yorkshire TT. It didn't disappoint and unusually there were no cars in front of me to hold me up (just as well as Olive has limited power for overtaking on twisty roads).

CB200 Olive is back on the road again-img_3655.jpg

CB200 Olive is back on the road again-img_3657.jpg

CB200 Olive is back on the road again-img_3656.jpg
    Irene

1977 CB200 Olive
    1979 CD185

Richard_Pitman said:
    Hi Irene,

Nice to hear from you again !

We are just back from a week in N Devon ( in the car ! ), and on a day out ascended the notorious Porlock Hill. Modern car managed this absolutely fine, but I'd personally worry slightly about taking a bike up there with other traffic, as there is a 1:4 hairpin bend with an adverse camber, fine if you keep moving, but if traffic ahead forced a halt

Doesn't look so bad in a photo.

CB200 Olive is back on the road again-porlock.jpg

Plenty of those 'adventure' bikes on there though.

Locally, we have Ankerdine hill, and my CL175 flies up there without dropping below 40 mph. A 17 to 20% gradient, whatever that means ...
    Last edited by Richard_Pitman; 05-26-2019 at 07:18 AM.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

ancientdad said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Pitman View Post
    ...A 17 to 20% gradient, whatever that means ...
    in laymen's terms, pretty damn steep!
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

HondaCB200Lady said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Pitman View Post
    Hi Irene,

Nice to hear from you again !

We are just back from a week in N Devon ( in the car ! ), and on a day out ascended the notorious Porlock Hill. Modern car managed this absolutely fine, but I'd personally worry slightly about taking a bike up there with other traffic, as there is a 1:4 hairpin bend with an adverse camber, fine if you keep moving, but if traffic ahead forced a halt

Doesn't look so bad in a photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porlock.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	282912

Plenty of those 'adventure' bikes on there though.

Locally, we have Ankerdine hill, and my CL175 flies up there without dropping below 40 mph. A 17 to 20% gradient, whatever that means ...
    Sutton Bank is also a 1:4 or 25% gradient with hairpin bends. It is regularly used in Le Tour de Yorkshire and is quite a spectacle, watching cyclists make easy work out of what car drivers struggle to get up!

20% would be a 1:5 gradient so still really steep.

We also have Saltburn Bank which is 1:4, plenty of challenging roads for my little Olive.
    Irene

1977 CB200 Olive
    1979 CD185

HondaCB200Lady said:
    Sutton Bank hairpin

CB200 Olive is back on the road again-sutton-bank-hairpin.jpg
    Irene

1977 CB200 Olive
    1979 CD185