First ride (more than 5 miles)
Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By JCW
  • 1 Post By JCW

Thread: First ride (more than 5 miles)

JCW

First ride (more than 5 miles)

All work and very little play has been the theme of my CL450 ever since I got it. Every time I start out on a ride or get a few miles from home, an issue would pop up causing me to cut short the ride, but at least she hasn’t left me anywhere yet!

After many false starts, Mark, my old riding buddy ( and best friend since 1964) and I finally got together with our old bikes on a nice day. We left his house in Visalia, Ca and headed for my favorite twisty road, CA 245. Perfect road conditions and a pleasant 68 degrees greeted us as we set out putting the old girls through their paces.
    Both bikes did fine and we switched out to sample different levels of vibration, torque response, seating and sound. A stop at Mountain House for a photo op and then down Dry Creek Road to Hwy 198 and Three Rivers for lunch.

First ride (more than 5 miles)-622c718a-7948-4431-8e1f-b4d3ee831dec.jpg
    Sierra Subs in Three Rivers (Triple crik as the locals call it) is the best! Their Black Bear Grill is awesome as was their homemade lemonade. After lunch we swung by Mark’s folks house and my late Dad’s home that is now an Air BNB, kinda sad, but time marches on.
    Headed down the hill for home, we fueled in Lemon Cove, took another quick photo op at an abandoned Richfield Station and took the back roads home. Tally for the day, 110 miles, 53.6 mpg out of my 450, top speeds north of 80 (just once!) and big grins for the rest of the day. Now THIS is what owning vintage bike is all about!

First ride (more than 5 miles)-648f9614-2ba5-4d94-b0fd-400fb9971fb3.jpg
    1971 CL450K4

Now this little day trippin’ story is one I’d think we’d all long for from beginning to end! And that abandoned Richfield Station? Wow...perfect photo op.
    Thanks for sharing.
    1966 CL77
    1978 CB750K
    2002 Electraglide

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    And that abandoned Richfield Station? Wow...perfect photo op.
    My thoughts exactly - wish I had one like it around here
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

And that's what all the wrenching is about.
    JT
    81 CM400T Under re-construction
    82 GL500

Happy for you! Nothing like riding your very own restoration. Good feeling, right?
    JL
    1979 CB 400 T (Cafe Racer)

JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Now this little day trippin’ story is one I’d think we’d all long for from beginning to end! And that abandoned Richfield Station? Wow...perfect photo op.
    Thanks for sharing.
    My pleasure. Hope in some way it’ll provide some inspiration to someone at a certain point in their restoration who might be thinking of throwing in the towel.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    My thoughts exactly - wish I had one like it around here
    I wish I had my “big” camera with me and the time to setup a “proper” shot. We needed to get moving, but I couldn’t pass it up within at least taking a quick phone pic.

Quote Originally Posted by J-T View Post
    And that's what all the wrenching is about.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Polish View Post
    Happy for you! Nothing like riding your very own restoration. Good feeling, right?
    Awesome feeling. Although I didn’t build this one from the ground up, I restored a SL350 years ago and also did a frame off on a 28’ Model A hotrod, so yes, I know what it’s like to finally enjoy the fruits of one’s labor.
    ancientdad likes this.
    1971 CL450K4

Sponsored Links