1975 CB360T Project "Phoenix" Resto-mod
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1975 CB360T Project "Phoenix" Resto-mod

1975 CB360T Project "Phoenix" Resto-mod

Just as a foreword, this is going to be a very intermittently updated project thread, as I am primarily focused (money and time ) on my 1983 BMW R100RT.

After a year or two of tinkering and adding the random odd and end from all the wonderful knowledge on this forum and of course 66Sprint, I had a pretty good runner:

Fast forward a couple years and a few other bikes later, I was going on a ride the first non-snowy day of Spring 2017, and all of a sudden the engine started to stumble, and had a sudden loss of power. I pull over and realize that my bike is on fire! Based on the performance of the bike at time of failure and the location of the fire, the engine seems to have backfired through the carburetor and lit my UNI foam air filters on fire. I called 911 and a police officer in the area responded to my call and doused the bike with his fire extinguisher. The damage was done: My frame was singed, part of the wiring harness melted, the alternator wire and connection to the wiring harness has melted, melted components gooped all over the frame, and carburetors were coated in fire extinguisher powder. I got the bike towed back to my house and it spent the riding season tucked in the back of the garage under a tarp.

Not sure why, I decided to take another look at the bike this past weekend. I decided that if I am going to turn this old bike around, I better do it right this time and do a full rebuild from the bare frame up including a partial engine rebuild (at least the top end to address an oil leakage). I started with disassembly of the easy stuff, and will start to take detailed photos/videos of the nastier stuff.

I started disassembly and took photos and videos of the process and started cataloging all my removed parts in labeled ziplock bags. Throughout this process, I was making a mental note of what could be salvaged, and what should be replaced or upgraded with a modern equivalent. I think I am going to go the resto-mod route, as a 100% restoration is going to be completely out of budget!

Here are some things that I found during the disassembly:
    1. A portion of the wiring harness and the alternator wiring TO the wiring harness is completely scorched, so much so that the connection point between the two melted to a clump of burnt plastic! My alternator was good when I last checked it out two years ago. I will see if I want to just replace the alternator with a used one/modern upgrade or come up with some DIY wiring connection.

2. I was running a "Hondaman Ignition" system that used the points as a trigger for the unit. The unit appears to be burned, and it may be the reason why I was not getting spark when I did a post-incident diagnosis.

3. My refillable battery has lost its vent hose and has been leaking battery acid, and has acid-burned parts of the frame, exhaust and swingarm. In the future, I will pony up for a maintenance free one.

Next up will be removal of the front end and engine removal. I will have to start shopping around for a frame powdercoater in my area.

By the way, I came across the Common Motor Collective when looking for replacement parts. I wish this company was around back in my initial project stage!
    1975 CB360T Cafe Project (Being rebuilt from crispy bits!) - Done-ish...now in maintenance mode
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

I have started buying some bits and pieces for tinkering around this winter. I am excited! New starter solenoid, carburetor rebuild kits, gaskets and seals, new grips, and throttle cables. I am just glad Honda parts are a fraction of the cost of BMW!

I am fielding some quotes for media blasting and powdercoating the frame and swingarm. If I recall correctly, there are some spots on the frame that should NOT be painted/coated to ensure that electrical components are grounded. Any pointers on where I need to indicate this to the powdercoaters? I will cross post this to the CB360 Frame subforum.
    1975 CB360T Cafe Project (Being rebuilt from crispy bits!) - Done-ish...now in maintenance mode
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

Got through the process of removing the front end (forks, triples, and wheel) and the center and rear stands. Almost too easy...

Popped off the top and bottom steering bearings. They were FILTHY! Luckily I have a set of tapered bearings that I picked up around 5 years ago and never installed! Getting those races out was definitely a challenge. Required the use of a long punch and a hammer to drive out!

Engine was drained of oil and will be coming out in the next few days.

I think I found a good powdercoater about an hour away who does little projects like this on the side for not a lot of dough and will be dropping off parts by end of the month once I get every soft part out and at least run some degreaser through the oily parts.
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Man Kruk, that fire is terrible news. But good luck on the rebuild. I'll be following it!
    1975 Honda Cl360K1 - My project/toy/headache
    2003 Honda Shadow ACE - My transportation

Hmmm....
    NOS Wiring Harness for $240.....or a "clean" used one off eBay for $60...
    NOS Alternator for $250-$500, or a decent looking one off eBay for $50...

eBay it is!

Ordered approximately $600 worth of upgrades and replacement parts of Common Motor. Heck I even saw parts that I never knew were missing/needed replacement! My "shopping" list grows...
    I have decided that I am going back to regular points ignition and swapping my modified CB450 carburetors back to the CB360 set I picked up off an old parts bike in 2009.
    Engine removal this weekend and I will run the parts I want powdercoated through some degreaser before I schedule a drop off with the powdercoater.
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

Total bummer about the fire! Hope you enjoy the process of this build.
    Did you ever get an answer able bare metal areas?
    Not sure about the 360, but for the 350, all I can think of is 2 places the ground bolts to(battery and a separate green wire on the left of the lower backbone) and where the points/condenser mount so the condenser can ground to the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by doode View Post
    Total bummer about the fire! Hope you enjoy the process of this build.
    Did you ever get an answer able bare metal areas?
    Not sure about the 360, but for the 350, all I can think of is 2 places the ground bolts to(battery and a separate green wire on the left of the lower backbone) and where the points/condenser mount so the condenser can ground to the frame.
    Thanks! Yeah I am really excited about the upcoming work. It will be a nice project to keep me busy over winter.

Back in 2008/2009 was when I really started learning about tinkering around with this bike, and I had the most rudimentary of tools at my disposal. There was not that much information about working on these bikes readily available and the shop manuals required a bit of "interpretation". I was scared of stripping my bike down for a thorough restoration. Now I have amassed a pretty good set of mechanics tools, and I have some work on other bikes under my belt, I am more confident this time around! Having the right tool for the job makes life 10x better. Plus CMC has amazingly good quality rebuild videos on youtube to baby me through some tougher bits. In stripping the CB360 down I am amazed at how simple it really is! (Watch me eat those words in a few weeks/months!).

I am almost 100% sure that the spots you mentioned are the only ones that need to keep a bit of bare metal showing. I am going to mark up the frame with painters tape notes to the powdercoater at these spots to ensure that he keeps at least a small ring of bare metal showing. Otherwise I can always chip away at it if need be.
    ctrider likes this.
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

Question - where did you buy the seat and did you find it comfortable.

I've been kicking around that style seat for a Café Project that's been sitting on my bench for the past 2 years.
    I moved and packed up everything and have recently been getting my shop areas back to useable shape.

Anyway I like the idea of the café style seat without serious modifications.

Just wanted the opinion from someone who has ridden on one.
    1970 CB 350 CAFE - Current Project on the bench,
    1972 CB 350 K4 Red - Now a Happy Rider ! !
    1972 CB 350 K4 Green (My Sons) DONE - YES !,
    1st Bike 1970 SL 350 (Brought home in Parts - Trailer/Trunk/Back Seat - I miss that bike),
    2nd - Bike Kawasaki 750
    3rd - '73 XLCH 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Question - where did you buy the seat and did you find it comfortable.

I've been kicking around that style seat for a Café Project that's been sitting on my bench for the past 2 years.
    I moved and packed up everything and have recently been getting my shop areas back to useable shape.

Anyway I like the idea of the café style seat without serious modifications.

Just wanted the opinion from someone who has ridden on one.
    The seat was from an eBay vendor in Vietnam called hondaclassic31 (I don't think they are around anymore). I was a bit hesitant to buy from overseas, but I was pleasantly surprised (although shipping took approximately a month and change). IIRC, it was around $150 with shipping and included it's own seat pan, rubber bumpers, etc. The quality of construction is top notch!

That said, the "cafe racer" style riding position is not very comfortable. In my early 20's, I didn't complain and could easily ride from Chicago to Milwaukee without any issued. However, now in my 30's I can't ride in that position for long and have been using the bike as a local put-putter. Rear-set pegs MIGHT improve the comfort level to change riding position to something less cramped, but I don't want to go through the expense and redesign process of the shift/brake linkages.
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

Good progress today! I took a 1/2 day off because there was no projects going at work, so I unbolted the engine from the frame and used a 1:4 mixture of simple green to clean of years of road gunk and chain lube from the frame.

Wife was kind enough to let me take the engine into the workroom for disassembly and tune-up.

I popped the side covers off knowing that I wanted to give them a nice clean and I was going to replace the rotor and clean out the oil filter.

Much to my dismay, the Hondabond that was used in a previous top end rebuild about 6 years ago or so seems to have "melted" and dripped and hardened all over the cylinder head. It will be a matter of delicately picking and peeling that old gunk off. I think on this job I will use the product recommended by CMC.

Another item that concerned me was the fact that in removing the cylinder head cover bolts, one of them turned loosely as if the threads in the head cover were stripped, unlike the others that were torqued down. I will investigate that further and take photos at a later time.
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links