1975 CB360T Project "Phoenix" Resto-mod - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 1975 CB360T Project "Phoenix" Resto-mod

To be safe, I drained the fuel tank of fuel into a jerrycan and removed the tank from the bike. I ordered a replacement fuel petcock to replace my leaking one.

I began to wrestle with the carburetors to free them from the bike (a lot harder than I thought!!!). After removing the carbs and disassembling the float bowls, I noticed that one of the gaskets was pinched to the point where it was 90% severed through. This would account for the fuel leaking from the carb body yesterday.

I began the task of double checking my work from over a year ago regarding the float settings. I will create a thread in the respective CB360 forum to keep this thread clean. It looks like both of my floats were a bit askew, so I needed to get them level first before worrying about float heights.

Pending the replacement petcock, verification of my float settings, and replacement of the float bowl gaskets, I am going to "call it" for the week.

Hope your weekends are less rainy than mine
    1975 CB360T Cafe Project (Being rebuilt from crispy bits!) - Done-ish...now in maintenance mode
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by krukster86 View Post
    Hope your weekends are less rainy than mine
    Glad you're making progress again... our daily rains are coming soon, right after the love bugs leave
    krukster86 likes this.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Replacement (aftermarket) petcock came in. Free 1 day shipping and low cost on Amazon couldn't be beat! It required a bit of wrenching to get the gasket down tight, but after two days with fuel, there are no leaks! One bean in the bucket.

While in the garage, I did notice that the left spark plug was not seated in all the way, although it felt tight. I removed it and tried to reinstall it after inspecting the plug for wear (it was relatively new). I was able to get it in 2/3 of the way using fingers, and 3/4 of the way with a socket wrench before noticing the torque needed to turn it was getting excessive. Upon pulling the spark plug out, it looks like the Permatex silver anti-seize that I wiped on the threads of the plug hardened and crudded up some of the threads, as when I peeked into the spark plug hole, I saw hardened silvery crud (but not metal shavings!) on the threads. I have a spark plug thread chaser coming in the mail today. I will set the cylinder to TDC, grease up the spark plug chaser, and slowly work my way through the threads in ever-increasing depth repetitions to get all that crap out. Also at this point, I did see that NGK has a technical memo that states that anti-seize should not be placed on their spark plugs...oops...
    1975 CB360T Cafe Project (Being rebuilt from crispy bits!) - Done-ish...now in maintenance mode
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

The spark plug thread chaser came in yesterday and only took about 5-10 minutes to complete the task. I did about 4 iterations of ever increasing depth and the grooves of the tool were filled with a dark silvery goop. At the end of the travel, I cleaned up the excess grease, blew an air gun nozzle into the cylinder at TDC to ensure that any sprinkles were pushed out of the spark plug hole (and not a valve opening). I was able to easily thread a spark plug using fingertips just like the opposite side. One less thing to worry about!

Floats were raised from 18.5 mm to about 20.5 -21 mm. I will do some fine tuning later to make sure both are exact and do a fuel shutoff test. If I am super exacting, I may even devise a clear tube test.
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

BIG DAY!!!

Carb floats set to 21mm, new float bowl gaskets were installed, and I did a float valve "shut off test" and passed with flying colors! I somehow managed to wrangle the carbs back on the bike and installed the fuel lines. Went to kick start the bike, and it started on the second kick, but sounded a bit funny, like the diaphragm in one of the carbs was farting. It turns out that I was running on one cylinder! I checked the float bowl drain screws to make sure I had fuel going in both carbs. Check!

I removed the plugs and grounded them. One side was firing, one was not. I swapped plugs and found that one side just plain old is not liking the sparks. As Marie Kondo would say, THIS DOES NOT SPARK JOY!

I recall some sage old advice here from years ago of "why don't you try it with the points cover removed?". Sure enough, after removal of the points cover, both cylinders roared to life, and you could tell instantaneously that it sounded much better! I took the bike around the block, and forgot that I did not adjust my clutch so it made a metallic popping noise when I pulled the lever all the way. I definitely scurried home to adjust it.

Anyway, I know my carbs will need some fine tuning as they were rather stumbly around the powerband, but not too shabby in a day's work!

2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

Dude - Marie Kondo?? Check your wire connectors on the points and try to turn them away from the area that might touch the cover... glad you got it running.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

You could also paint the inside of the points cover with a non conductive type of paint (generally all kinds prevent flow but it's best to google a type that you know for sure would not), and you'd be good to go.

I will first attempt to turn the points wire connectors away from the inside surface of the points cover. If that doesn't work, I will try painting or taping the inside cover to prevent grounding of the points. I will be posting 2 youtube videos of the past week or so's progress.
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

Ignition timing, (over-)filling crankcase with oil, filling up the fuel tank, and discovering a leaky petcock and floats that were set way too low!

2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

Troubleshooting and second "initial" startup:
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links