So far so good 36 mm? Seems big to be streetable.
When I was 19, I built a CL450K5 into a modified class drag bike.
Ever since letting it go back then, I've wanted to do it again - but this time, street legal for the fun of still being able to surprise a few people with it. A few months ago, I found this bike in nearby Lakeland FL for $1900. I took it home in a truck (despite it being a runner) and proceeded to tear it down. Glad I did, after discovering that the PO had left the fuel on all the time and the carbs had weeped into the bottom end. So it begins...
the outer engine covers had been off for the usual clutch and starter clutch repairs over the years, but it looks like the top end had never been apart. Rust rings in the cylinders from sitting and some cam chain wear on the cylinder block from lack of maintenance, but other than that, so far all seems decent.
Of course, you (somewhat) set a budget for the stuff you need/want to do to it, and then start buying things... and before you know it, the budget is blown up. Once you do some stuff, you need to do other stuff to make most of it look as good as the stuff you're replacing. This was a small first order of the little stuff that adds up
Then you find cool stuff like this that you know will add to the overall picture when it's done
I want it to be different while still keeping some vintage Honda aspects - the period-correct gray cables, grips, gauges - but a departure in some ways of my own thinking. I ran across this at a Japanese website called Web!ke
and then the engine parts to replicate what I had the first time around - 497cc pistons, 36mm Mikunis, and after the first of the year, MegaCycle cams
After some frame mods with the help of an old friend with a MIG welder, some mocking up (with lots more to do) before getting the frame powder coated
Obviously, lots more to do...
So far so good 36 mm? Seems big to be streetable.
Admittedly - I went big back then and it worked really well despite the cams being pretty flat under 5500 rpm. I rode it gently around my Dad's old neighborhood in the evenings (drag pipes and all, it was rural) for a month to break it in, and then did high speed jetting runs and dialed it in. Truly never rode it on the street in the usual circumstances back then, but my plan to ride the bike now is with the boys out where I am in a rural area anyway. Not going to be riding it to work, for sure.
Awesome engine...looks much lighter than stock too
And the tank is beautiful. Is it Chrome or Alloy?
Nice bike you're buiding the there,
never seen one with the head etc in the frame, but no bottom end and barrels (looks kinda surreal)
Since my old friend with the MIG welder lives 70 miles from me and can only visit every 3rd weekend due to his work schedule, I get as much done as possible on other stuff in between. Since I'm going with a smaller lithium ion battery and no electric start, I chose to go with an LED type of headlight for a little lower draw (and to be different). I found a 36 watt combo spot/flood off-road 6.5" light with bolt holes for end mount from a Chinese supplier through Amazon and ordered it.... in mid-November. Still haven't seen it. Got a refund and re-ordered the same model from Amazon's Warehouse Deals, open box. Got it in a week or so, opened the box to find it was spot only (not the combo beam I ordered) and had only bottom mounts, no end bolt holes... and then they were out of the one I wanted and actually ordered. Grrr... so, I set out to make lemonade. Disassembled the light, removed the end caps and found some carriage bolts with stainless acorn nuts to use from the inside of the caps. Had to trim the bolt heads, dremel the end caps inner cavity to allow clearance and drill the end caps. It's amazing how many hours you can put into an idea that seemed a lot simpler on the surface, but when you set out to use an idea and something comes up along the way, the stubborn in me comes out. Didn't turn out too bad after all, and I'm not going to be doing a lot of night riding with this bike anyway - it's primarily for the legal requirements. (thanks to NNZ for the nice deal on the refurbed gauges - I can tell people the bike was originally from Canada )
Lots of cleanup to do on the motor - outside and inside after 43 years of buildup.
I fashioned a battery box from some thin flat steel and added ears for an OEM rubber strap. Hanging it from the plates added to the frame for the new seat to sit on, using 2 rubber grommets and bolts from the original tail light bracket.
Best laid plans... I wanted to minimize the visual of the small lithium ion battery (and show off the "test" button on the top as well), so I designed the battery box to have it sitting on its side, with the top of the battery facing the right side of the bike. Well... the large bell of the Mikunis and the subsequently large K&N filter bell that fits them became a problem. Under the frame below the original seat area was not wide enough to accommodate the battery on its side and still have the filters fit. In the midst of it all, I discovered something that I'd never noticed about the 450 before (and wasn't an issue with my drag bike due to different battery location and total loss ignition) - the top end of the engine is slightly offset to the left side of the bike. I noticed it while viewing the head hanging from the frame and checked the cylinder studs against the front motor mount to confirm it. Sure enough, that's why the left carb and filter fit next to the battery the way I originally designed it... so, back to the drawing board (and sheet metal, and tin snips, and vise, and drift punch, and hammer, and anvil...)