I got a cb450 years ago and gradually realized how cool they were as a race bike. If you've never read Kevin Cameron's article where he describes a faster higher pitched sounding bike piloted by Todd henning passing Norton manxs and other factory bikes at Daytona you should, it's very inspiring. Anyway, someday as time and finances allow ,I'm gonna get this thing on a track. I'm sure it won't be the fastest 450 out there but I'm gonna try to keep it fun and period correct, which means I'm gonna use parts from the era and the rest will be hacked out by me in my garage/ basement. Thanks for reading and happy riding.heres a picture of how it looks now. It was being ridden as early as this spring and after changing the riding position around I got it to where it's comfortable and I'm happy.
Not sure about that tail light But the rest of it has a great line to it!
The taillight was taken from a cb 750 chopper years ago and put on the seat hump with the idea in mind of being easily removable so I could "race". Well as you can see it finally cracked last spring and I'm not so sure how long it will last the way I've got it brazed together. Hopefully this bike sees more track use and I'll only need it for testing. My good motor that was in it now powers the old stocker as I'm getting enough parts to put a dedicated racer together. I built the seat years ago from a rusted out junkyard seat pan and a bullet hole riddled cb175? Tank. I did the upholstery myself with a harbor freight sailboat sail stitching kit and tarp snaps. The upholstery was sourced from Dennis Kirk and the Honda logo piece was salvaged from the junk cover. It's very comfy as the original pan is very ergonomic. I though about replacing it with a lighter fiberglass unit but I can't imagine I'd be happy with one[ATTACH=CONFIG]71872[/ATTACH
Last edited by Lefty; 03-24-2016 at 09:04 PM.
I got these levers off eBay a week ago and cleaned em up a little today. They were labeled as Amal copies and I think they look great but was a little disappointed with the quality. Dime city cycles describes them as raw aluminum and I guess they're die cast. After a blast of glass beads and some mothers polish they look much better,some casting pits but I'll live with it. The shouldered pivot bolt is sloppy so I'm gonna try to get a piece of stainless to make new ones. Also the cable adjuster is cheap design and I'm try to thing of a way to fix that. I'll try it first maybe it'll be alright. The forged Magura on top is much better quality but doesn't look vintage enough. We will see Attachment 71873
Last edited by Lefty; 03-16-2016 at 04:16 PM.
I welded up these exhaust stub reducers today to redo my previous screw up. It's a 1 1/2" pipe slit to taper down to 1 3/8", a good available diameter. Last fall I cast some "D" shaped insert to raise my exhaust ports for better flow. The pic on the right shows assembly order and the stub that I should have reduced in dia. before welding to its flange. The idea behind reducing the diameter it to maintain equal cross sectional area when I forge the larger end to "D" shape. You can see in the picture of the head how the insert is roughed in and needs to be ported. I'll build a u-tube manometer for a shop vac flow bench.