Cb450 race/track bike - Page 37
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Cb450 race/track bike

A lesson hit home on this one. If you think you have a great idea that no ones doing, chances are it's not a great idea. Turns out copper, brass, silicon up to a point, and probably a bunch of other things dissolve in molten aluminum really fast even if their melting point is significantly higher. After a lot of head scratching I figure I have about three options. Long story short I think I'm going to cast around 1 1/4" instead of 1 1/2" copper. I want to see just how fast it dissolves. I'll fill it with sand and leave one end open. If it does eat through I can section and bore it for a shrink fit over 1 1/2" copper and solder the end fittings on to test and get an idea how it works. Im sure in order to pass scrutiny at a track it will have to look safe and be safe. Goal is to have it 100% enclosed with no stress risers.
    Cb450 race/track bike-img_1450.jpg

Been awhile, hopefully I'll make some good progress now that things are warming up. But for now I'm still in the basement.
    Making spark plug indexing washers. I made a fixture and got the thickest ones done. I have some thinner stuff I'll have to get from work and then some pop cans and I'll be set.
    Cb450 race/track bike-img_1491.jpg
    Cb450 race/track bike-img_1493.jpg

"pop cans"... love the northern reference. (it's "CoCola" or just "soda" down here among us lesser-edumacated)
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    "pop cans"... love the northern reference. (it's "CoCola" or just "soda" down here among us lesser-edumacated)
    A good buddy from Florida I used to ride skateboard with called every soda "a coke" love it!

Got a rotisserie set up for a start on the honing bench.
    Cb450 race/track bike-img_1514.jpg
    Cb450 race/track bike-img_1515.jpg
    ancientdad and oupa like this.

Complete kitchen remodel means I haven't had much time to work on bikes. I have been riding a lot though and curvy back roads keeping the engine living above 6000 inspired me to try to convert the my road bike to track duty and go for it this year. Well, that's not going to be possible (and not on my street bike, I couldn't live without it!) so next years the goal in the novice historic production class. (Where I should be in the first place). Before I put too much work into finishing this junk yard frame I'm trying to line it up to see if it looks straight. It has some issues that indicate a rough life.
    Cb450 race/track bike-img_1528.jpg
    Just a metal rod and broom handle centered the best I could and sighted by eye. It looked a little off with one eye and then a little off the other way with the other eye. I'm not sure if theirs a better way.

I believe the rod is straight, but what about the wooden broomstick? My Dad used to use a plumb bob with a known straight/level rod, like on my first Gold Wing frame. Sorry for the horrible picture-of-a-35mm slide... the string is visible coming over the top of the frame and across the neck, along with the chain and pieces of the porto-power (from his body work tools) on the floor in front of it

Cb450 race/track bike-img_0483.jpg
    Tom

^another cool pic Tom I'm not sure I get the idea but something with string does seem promising. I check craigslist now and then for a I beam to make a frame jig. I think it's probably good enough at this point.

Yeah, if it isn't that visible now, once you get the front end and swingarm on it you can better eyeball how the forks align vertically with the downtube and 90° to the swingarm and axle. My Dad took the string from the center of the rear frame section where the fender bolted in, straight forward to across the center of the neck on a rod that extended over the neck and the plumb bob/string hung down straight in front of the neck so he could see alignment from top of the neck to bottom as well as the center of the frame itself. I went up to and over 100 mph a lot, and 120 on that bike many times as well, and even ran it at the drag strip once, it went down the road straight
    Tom

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37

Sponsored Links