Dad's 1975 CB360T rebuild - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Dad's 1975 CB360T rebuild

Re: Dad's 1975 CB360T rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by leethal
    To remove the tacho cable you need to undo the phillips head screw located under all that crud Can you please post a pic of the cable end when you get it off, I have a feeling I received the wrong cable.
    Aha! That had crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure it was the right thing to do! I'm heading out to the shop just now, I'll get a pic up for you.
    1979 BMW R80/7
    1975 Honda CB360T (project)

Here you go, Lee:

1979 BMW R80/7

Cheers man, turns out I'm not crazy :P This is the tach cable I got from Cycle-Re-Cycle and I was goin outta my mind as to why it wouldnt seat all the way in.....the end 'rib' is too wide and won't enter far enough for the retaining screw to sit in the 'gap'. Looks like its time for my 'ol friend mr Dremel to earn his keep

Thanks again Allen(?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dad's 1975 CB360T rebuild-tach-cable.jpg  
    ...punks not dead...it just smells that way...

...XS650 SF...RD400 D...CB360 KO...CL450 K3...

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Well, this thread is inspirational to me. My 360 is on hold for another week until after me and the wife get moved, but I have some parts and I have some plans and I'm itching to dive back in. I just wanted to say that you rock, and that you're a braver man than I. Mine was in a lot better starting condition, and I am starting to think it might not see the road until next spring, unless I miraculously get a block of time to get it done. Summer is already slipping by.

Anyway, I will have a better work space in our new home, and when I get organized, I am going to start a project log, and start putting pics up. Good luck with your project.
    "There is one thing I will never believe, and that is the Sox are better than the Cubs." - Frank Chance, Chicago Cubs manager, just after losing the 1906 World Series to the Chicago White Sox.

1975 CB360T

Got the tappet cover off today and took a look. This is the engine from the bike, serial no. is 200061 (I think? Haven't written it down); it has the punch marks on the number plate which is supposed to mean that the notorious camshaft recall fix was made?

The ebay spare engine has a serial no. in the 210000s; no punch marks which means...??? My plan is to tear them both down and see what needs to be machined and what is still within operation limits. BTW this is my first motorcycle engine rebuild; I did a 1969 VW beetle engine in 1991 with the help of John Muir's 'Idiot Book'.

See that on the end of the second cam lobe? Is that what they call 'galling'?

There seems to be a little of the same thing on the left side tappet plate.
    1979 BMW R80/7

Quote Originally Posted by Whynojive
    Well, this thread is inspirational to me. My 360 is on hold for another week until after me and the wife get moved, but I have some parts and I have some plans and I'm itching to dive back in. I just wanted to say that you rock, and that you're a braver man than I. Mine was in a lot better starting condition, and I am starting to think it might not see the road until next spring, unless I miraculously get a block of time to get it done. Summer is already slipping by.

Anyway, I will have a better work space in our new home, and when I get organized, I am going to start a project log, and start putting pics up. Good luck with your project.

Thanks for the good vibes, man!
    1979 BMW R80/7

More 'old' engine teardown today. After an epic struggle with the rounded/ruined headbolts, the rest went pretty well:

Front cam tensioner came out fine and looks to be in good shape:

As was the other one: both slippers seem to be non-cracked and fairly stable:

"Lots of carbon scoring--you boys have seen alot of action!" Note the sparkplug electrode welded by rust to the head.

I ran my wire wheel over the pistons quickly to see if they'd ever been bored...does anyone know if no numbers means they're the originals?

My plan is still to take whatever is still usable from this engine for use on the 'new' ebay engine, which in theory should be in a little bit better shape (12 K miles instead of this one's 16K plus 22 years outside) Of course we all know that anything could be lurking in that can o' worms.

Could I get your guys' opinions with regard to the bottom end: do you think I can get away with just a top end rebuild, ie: machine work, cylinders bored and honed, pistons, rings, springs, guides, valves, etc. and not worry about the crankcase?
    1979 BMW R80/7

Had a look at the pics on thrilhou's log today, and it looks like the 'old engine' camshaft and rocker arms are worn; can the machinist recondition them, or are they ready to become yard art?
    1979 BMW R80/7

Today I cracked into the 'new' ebay purchased engine: everything went alot faster as it's my second time doing the work, and the engine is in better shape.

This head has about 12K on it; the lifters are in better shape, but there's some light rust on the springs.

About the same look to the valves, but minus the stuck electrode.

Right piston only has light carbon:

Got the jug off with no trouble; pistons look good, but I found some NOS .50s on ebay for $15 apiece, so I'm going to have the cylinder rebored anyway:

Ok, next up: machine shop; start looking for rings and circlips...do I need brand new pins?
    1979 BMW R80/7

Right on, Man. Are you just jumping in or are you following a manual or other resource?

Later,
    V

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links