1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy

Its time too start the project log!

Below is a picture of the $100 barn find mentioned in my Introduction post. The bike was about 70 miles away from where I lived and that was convenient. I purchased the motorcycle 11 Sept, 2014, and completed the following process in one day.

In Kansas the bike qualifies as an "Antique", and since no title was available a form TR-11 is required; This is used in lieu of a Bill of Sale. Be sure NOT to include the dash (-) inbetween the model and VIN number on the VIN "data plate". The hard "stamped number in the frame neck" is whats used in Kansas, and it does not have the dash in it. This can be completed on line then printed out on your printer, or just print out a blank and take it with you, for completion by the seller and buyer.

TR-11 location:
    http://www.ksrevenue.org/pdf/tr11.pd...&id=5590fdeb15

With the CB175 loaded onto my truck with the completed form TR-11, the next stop was to the Kansas State Highway Patrol (KSHP) vehicle inspection office in Wichita, Kansas. This inspection would determine what I will do with this motorcycle. The inspection office verifies odometer reading, and the "stamped" frame V.I.N., and information the previous owner (PO) and myself provided on a form TR-11. The KSHP then takes the V.I.N. and runs it through their happy computers; it had no liens, but had swagg... history showed it was stolen in 1988 and recovered the next day after the reported theft. The KSHP then completed the MVE-1 form, and gave me the appropriate pink copy.

Next stop was to my insurance folks and paid a $21.65 fee for a years worth of liability insurance. Insurance is required to register the bike in addition to the completed MVE-1 and TR-11. Now off to the Kansas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office, to title, register and obtain Antique license plates. There is an initial fee of around $40, then pay a yearly county only tax fee... its $11.00 and due every Dec.. (just paid mine). There are no yearly stickers added to the license plate as you would normally do with a non antique vehicle.

The bike now has a clean Title, registered and has antique license plates. I can now safely put some money into restoration process instead of building an old fashion yeee haaww off-road machine.

In Kansas, an out of state purchase without a title, "might or might not be possible". The Kansas Department of Revenue web site indicates that a TR-11 "may" suffice in the case for an Antique Vehicle. Check with the DMV concerning this as it applies to Antique Vehicles ONLY.

Other states may vary significantly from what is required in Kansas, so best to check the requirements of your local area before pulling the trigger on purchasing a vehicle with only a bill of sale.

I thought it important to add this process for folks in Kansas that may be at a loss on what to do when there is no title for motorcycles over 35 yrs old. If I were to have done one thing differently, it would have been to obtain the V.I.N. first and have the KSHP verify any issues before purchasing ($20 fee). For Kansan's you can find this information at this link: Kansas Department of Revenue - Frequently Asked Questions About Titles and Registrations

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-org5.jpg  
    Last edited by Quixote; 06-29-2015 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Updated procedures
    - Jack -

"Sometimes the fastest way to get there is to go slow
    And sometimes if you wanna hold on you got to let go"
    Count to Ten/Tina Dico

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...n-rebuild.html

Mileage when I pick er up was/still is 8,095.3 miles. It has "almost" matching VIN's (Engine, Stamped Frame, and Data Plate). The last two numbers of the engine VIN are reversed from the frame and data plate S'N's. Oh whelp... Did you know the headlight basket/case can be installed upside down? More entertainment to follow in a day or so

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-speed.jpg   1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-sn3.jpg   1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-sn2.jpg   1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-sn1.jpg   1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-headlight.jpg  

Last edited by Quixote; 12-29-2014 at 07:11 PM.
    - Jack -

Count to Ten/Tina Dico

Hey Quixote, great bike right there, I've got the same color K5! Good luck with your project, I love following the progress!
    1971 Honda CB175 K5

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Hi Dudepants ! This is a slow combination restoration, modification and modernization project. Since its the first one of I have ever attempted, its a slow process for me.. lots of reading/research, so I will probably be in the wings for awhile... lots of parts on the way, but so far to go haha. My fuel tank was no where nice as yours, the top was faded all the way through to the silver base, and mice lived in the tank as it had no cap.

Cheers
    - Jack -

Count to Ten/Tina Dico

Looks like a great project! Curious to see what you do with it. Good luck.
    Last edited by CB2NR; 01-11-2015 at 11:35 AM.
    -Ray

"Remembering the past... Liv'n the dream"

1971 CB175K5, restored http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...storation.html
    1972 CB350, Cafe, current project http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...-mod-cafe.html

Quote Originally Posted by CB2NR View Post
    Looks like a great project! Curious to see what you do with it. Good luck.
    CB2NR, your restoration is one of my inspirations, and clarified what I thought was an "oh darn, panic". Your photo of your lower case bottom, matched what I was observing with mine as it appears the die casting of the part leaves what initially looked like cracks extending from some of the internally threaded bolts.. thus the initial oh darn moment

Cheers
    - Jack -

Count to Ten/Tina Dico

Supporting Member Triumphsuper3's Avatar
    On board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    75 Honda CB200t

Awesome project. I'm definitely watching.
    1973 Honda CL350 K5 Cafe Build
    I only want to go where my wheels roll.

I'll be watching your progress. As a fellow Kansan, you might enjoy the title part of my project. (Hint, if I had seen yours before I started mine, my search would have been quicker but I'd have less of a story...)

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...und-field.html
    1970 CL350

Thanks for the inspiration guys ! I am at a good stopping point (my brain hurts) and I will be going over photos over the next couple days and start updating this project report. Its been an interesting experience so far, with high/low moments, but were going to proceed on and make this little guy ride again!

bcolladay, good read on your Kansas DMV etc experience haha. I had the same concerns as you when I took er down to the Inspection station. You have a nice looking ride and there is another member here with two CL350's (in Wichita). I was always partial to the '69 CL350 in Daytona Orange. Something about that black box on the exhaust on that model makes me smile.

Cheers
    - Jack -

Count to Ten/Tina Dico

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links