1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy - Page 2
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy

If your new to this, (like me) here's a few projects I use for reference information, whether for restoration, racing, performance, mods etc... This is not all inclusive but just examples of what can be found using "search"

CB2NR - Full Restoration
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...storation.html

Triumphsuper3 - Racing/Performance/Mods/Upgrades etc
    Father Son 75 CB200T Rise From the Ruins and http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...-victoria.html

Simo - CL175 Rebuild
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...ing-200cc.html

Here's some more pictures that show the Craiglist pictures and the arrival at the house.

1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-my175intruck.jpg1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-org3.jpg1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-org1.jpg
    Last edited by Quixote; 09-26-2015 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Added Simo link
    - Jack -

"Sometimes the fastest way to get there is to go slow
    And sometimes if you wanna hold on you got to let go"
    Count to Ten/Tina Dico

1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...n-rebuild.html

Some tear down and preliminary inspection pictures.... I will try and not repeat pictures that are well explained from other Project reports... One picture shows the bike upside down, I found it much easier to work on the engine area this way, especially when I needed to use a penny to lock up the gearing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-upsidedown1.jpg   1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-lfview.jpg   1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-rt-side-view.jpg   1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-rt-view-1.jpg  
    Last edited by Quixote; 01-21-2015 at 12:20 PM.
    - Jack -

Count to Ten/Tina Dico

The oil drain plug was determined to be on for life. I used a 3/4 in drive, 3ft long breaker bar, and a 4 ft pipe over the end of the breaker bar... total length was about 4ft. I had previously used a pretty heaving hitting air wrench/hammer no avail... I had the bike laying on its side, and applied the breaker bar forces to it... with much sharp pressure a loud "crack - pop" sound occured, with a spatter of metal looking dust hitting the ground... oh oh.. thought I either cracked the socket, ripped the bolt out of the boss mount, or even worse ripped the boss mount from the case, it felt as that much force was used/required.

The dust that fell that was from inside that 4 ft extension I added to the breaker bar *whew*. The drain plug was now loose.. took it out and nothing unusual was found laying in the plug. Keep in mind the bike was on its side.... just noting this now, as we did have a surprise just waiting to be found.. more on this later in the Project Log.
    Last edited by Quixote; 01-21-2015 at 12:23 PM.
    - Jack -

Count to Ten/Tina Dico

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

The left engine side case came off real easy, where as the right side was difficult.. I think I saved only 3 attach fittings from that side... I was pleasantly surprised of the condition of the mechanical workings under the covers, with one "oh my" lurking in there that might not be obvious in these photos. But if you look at the magneto-rotor real close around the starter fingers/tabs, you will see two of them are cracked.

Both tabs of the oil filter cover were broken off, which is typical as that's what the shop manual says to use to remove cover. In reality it takes a 8mm x 1.25 pitch bolt to do this after removing the 6mmm screw inside the filter. I was expecting this damage from previously reading this forum... no surprises ... pays to read the forum!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-oilfilter.jpg   1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-engine-clutch-filter.jpg   1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-engine-rotor-area-1.jpg   1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-magneto2.jpg  
    - Jack -

Count to Ten/Tina Dico

When I had the bike upside down, I was planning to use my pressure washer with engine gunk to get the messy stuff off the engine... the up-loader valve on the pressure washer was hiccuping, and right on Q, decided to fail to a much lower pressure setting... what! its only 22 yrs old ! Oh whelp, continued on with less than high pressure available, and I noticed GUNK ain't like it used to be in the old days.. kinda weak IMHO today... In this picture, a close up of the lower case is shown... this was real true scare for me... recalling that big crack sound I heard when I got the oil drain plug to release, and aluminum looking dust hitting the ground, what I was looking at left my wide eyes open, jaw dropped mode.. it appeared that cracks were emitting from the lower case bolt holders and the drain plug itself.

A frantic search on the restoration link I listed earlier (CB2NR's restoration) had what I was looking for... there are pictures of this same area showing the exact same faults... they could be twins.. Turns out its just manufacturing casting impressions, me thinks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-thescare.jpg  
    Last edited by Quixote; 01-21-2015 at 01:24 PM.
    - Jack -

Count to Ten/Tina Dico

I'll add more photo's of what was have found over the next couple days as I am spending the rest of today organizing my files.. I probably should not have waited so long to present what I have run into as I'm going to cover about a 2-3 month period of time... more unusual preliminary and detailed inspection findings forthcoming !

Cheers
    - Jack -

Count to Ten/Tina Dico

Those just look like cast flaws on the lower case
    but is this a crack

Quote Originally Posted by Simo View Post
    Those just look like cast flaws on the lower case
    but is this a crack
    Yes, agree on casting flaws in the lower case, but it did give me a scare (newbie fright haha)

And yes, two of the fingers were cracked, about ready to fall off.. I was just taking pic's of the dis-assembly process a couple months ago and at this point in time didn't even notice ... until I found one was missing... the actual high res photo was taken to where the entire motorcycle was captured at that angle... using "crop" features, I zoomed into that area of the picture looking for the missing tab, but it was probably on the bottom as my side and rear angle did not spot it. I use cropping high res pictures for looking over areas of the bike more closely for things I may have missed visually. More on the missing tab/finger will be shown later in the Project log.

Cheers
    Last edited by Quixote; 02-22-2015 at 03:16 AM. Reason: "cropping" and its use
    - Jack -

Count to Ten/Tina Dico

One of the first things I was going to do after getting the bike home was to remove the spark plugs and spray "Corrosion X" into the cylinders.. this would pre-soak the head and top of the pistons.. Engine tear down activity was planned for April 2015.. that plan would be changed. Removing the LF spark plug was normal, however the RT spark plug came out with the inevitable crunch crunch feel of being cross threaded.. eased it on out, and yup.. it was cross threaded on the top end threads with the lower threads intact. I used a thread chaser to clean it out.. I didn't care if material fell into the cylinders as the engine was going to be torn down. I put the plugs back in loose. This will be repaired using "Timesert".

NOTE:This is not going to be a blow by blow pictorial presentation, as those are well covered in the links I posted above, rather just some of the things that might help folks, that were not covered.

Thread chaser used...M12 x 1.25
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-thread-chaser.jpg  
    - Jack -

Count to Ten/Tina Dico

Here is the right carburetor as installed on the motorcycle, and a closer view on the bench. Interesting way to have the fuel bowl attached. Surprisingly, the internals were pretty clean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-rt-carb-1.jpg   1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-rt-carb1.jpg   1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-rt-float1.jpg   1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy-rt-carb-disassemble.jpg  
    - Jack -

Count to Ten/Tina Dico

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links