Project Brutus - 1966 CB600 K0 Black Bomber
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Project Brutus - 1966 CB600 K0 Black Bomber

Project Brutus - 1966 CB600 K0 Black Bomber

This will be my project for next winter but as I seams to have started gathering parts and do some work on it already I thought I should present it. I bought the 1966 CB450 K0 Black Bomber frame and a box of parts a couple of months ago and since Bomber parts is both rare and quite expensive I'm going to build the first version as a period café racer mostly with left over parts from other projects and get a built in patina in the process.
    There are some Bomber features I want on the bike from the beginning though. The correct side covers, the characteristic headlight combo with built in speedo/tacho and the stock rear fender as almost nothing else will fit.

You might have noticed that I've written CB600 in the title. I haven't found an engine for the project yet but it will be a 500T engine bored out to maximum. I figure if I can get the engine over 550 cc I've earned the right to call it a 600. Ideally the engine will be mildly tuned too but getting the bike up and running is the first priority.

I've been offered workspace among a group of friends that, like me, are motorcycle enthusiasts so if everything goes to plan I will have a complete machine shop to my disposal in the fall which will give me the possibility to build motorcycles on a whole new level. The bike will be a rolling restoration and over time my goal is to get the bike looking like the Bomber in my daughters drawing as I really like the look of it.
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/8-p...tml#post222613

Project Brutus - 1966 CB600 K0 Black Bomber-file0635-800.jpg

A CB450 K0 speedo/tacho combo reading in km/h is almost impossible to find for a reasonable cost so I'll have to settle for something that looks similar. I bought this speedo/tacho combo announced as an early CB125 item on an auction site here in Sweden but to me it looks more like a CB77 meter.

Does anybody have a clue what Honda model it's from and does it have the same dimensions as a Bomber meter?

Project Brutus - 1966 CB600 K0 Black Bomber-img_1223-640.jpg

Project Brutus - 1966 CB600 K0 Black Bomber-img_1225-640-arrows.jpg

Super Moderator longdistancerider's Avatar
    I like the direction you're going and really like your daughters drawing, very nice work
    The gauge unit looks like a CB77 Super Hawk to me.
    Jim O'Brien
    1979 CM400T "road bike" modified for travelling
    1978 CB400T1 restored
    1972 CL350 nuts and bolts restore in progress

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22...d-attempt.html and https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...r-attempt.html
    Road Trip https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/11...here-i-go.html or "where's Jim now?"
    Member Map https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/dcMembermap.php

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Really looking forward to watching your progress on this one. You mentioned that you might be looking for a 500T engine and bore it out to max. My personal experience (and that of some local historic racers) is that the 500T engine vibrates quite a bit more than the 450 engine due to it's longer stroke. One mate used to have a 500T race bike and found it very difficult to rev the motor to 10000 rpm. He have now replaced it with a 450 (modified) and finds it a lot better for racing and also less viby.

Just my 2 cents.

Looks like a great project. Just so you know, it looks like a K1, not a K0. The tank is from a K1, not a K0. Good luck!

Hi Ronny it looks the same size as my Bomber meter as far as I can tell, the only difference in the photos is that yours is KPH and the red lines are 11,500 to 13,000 on yours and mine is 9,500 to 10,500 also the overall depth is about 60mm, not including the cable fittings etc.Hope this helps.
    Lee
    Project Brutus - 1966 CB600 K0 Black Bomber-20140311_085218.jpgProject Brutus - 1966 CB600 K0 Black Bomber-20140311_085325.jpg

Cool

Hi Ronny,

Speedo is from a CB125 K2/K3/K4, starting the red line at 11.750 rpm. Also a possible fit for the CB160 and CB93. p/n is 7200-304-xxx. It's certainly not for the CB72/CB77 range, hence the redline.

Personally I do not like the way you go with the bomber, as I do like original, but I do understand the reason why. I really hope it turns in something special. If you need specific parts, you can always ask, I might have it. I'm curious about the way you build up your engine, thus following this threat with great pleasure

Jensen
    assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)
    CB450 K0 '66, CB450 K1 '68, CB450 K2 '69, CB72/77, C77, CB400F

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Really looking forward to watching your progress on this one. You mentioned that you might be looking for a 500T engine and bore it out to max. My personal experience (and that of some local historic racers) is that the 500T engine vibrates quite a bit more than the 450 engine due to it's longer stroke. One mate used to have a 500T race bike and found it very difficult to rev the motor to 10000 rpm. He have now replaced it with a 450 (modified) and finds it a lot better for racing and also less viby.

Just my 2 cents.
    Drifter, I have understood from other projects on the forum that the 500T engine might vibrate a bit more than the 450 but I'm not going to race the bike so I'll rarely touch 10000 rpm. Matter in fact I quite enjoy the 450's vibrations (compared to my CB500 four) on long rides as I feel it stimulates the circulation in my arms, legs and back (seriously, I'm not joking). I wouldn't mind some more vibration and if it becomes too bad I can always remove the top engine mount. Some years ago I rode my CB500 four together with a guy on a stock CB500T and I had problems keeping up. He had so much torque out of the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by gtprend View Post
    Looks like a great project. Just so you know, it looks like a K1, not a K0. The tank is from a K1, not a K0. Good luck!
    Gtprend, as I mentioned in the first post the frame is a 1966 K0 and I will build the bike with left over parts from other 450 projects so you are correct that the tank is from a K1. I have had my eyes on a dented Bomber tank with scratched and dented side covers but it's simply too expensive for me at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by jensen View Post
    Hi Ronny,

Speedo is from a CB125 K2/K3/K4, starting the red line at 11.750 rpm. Also a possible fit for the CB160 and CB93. p/n is 7200-304-xxx. It's certainly not for the CB72/CB77 range, hence the redline.

Personally I do not like the way you go with the bomber, as I do like original, but I do understand the reason why. I really hope it turns in something special. If you need specific parts, you can always ask, I might have it. I'm curious about the way you build up your engine, thus following this threat with great pleasure

Jensen
    Jensen, thank you for stating what model the meter is from. That will make it easier for me to find a headlight housing that it fits into. If you look at the pictures below you can see that the frame is heavily modified in several areas. I will restore the frame to as close to stock as possible so I feel that I'm saving an old bike from ending up at the scrap yard. It will be a rolling restoration/transformation so hopefully it will look pretty good in a couple of years.

Project Brutus - 1966 CB600 K0 Black Bomber-file0255-800.jpg

Project Brutus - 1966 CB600 K0 Black Bomber-file0245-800.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hope-Springs View Post
    Hi Ronny it looks the same size as my Bomber meter as far as I can tell, the only difference in the photos is that yours is KPH and the red lines are 11,500 to 13,000 on yours and mine is 9,500 to 10,500 also the overall depth is about 60mm, not including the cable fittings etc.Hope this helps.
    Lee
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140311_085218.jpg 
Views:	1717 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	34348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140311_085325.jpg 
Views:	1710 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	34349
    Hope-Springs, what are the measurements of the outer edges of the chrome ring on your Bomber meter?

When I measure my meter it's 95 mm and 130 mm.

Project Brutus - 1966 CB600 K0 Black Bomber-file0006-800.jpg

Project Brutus - 1966 CB600 K0 Black Bomber-file0003-800.jpg

Nice one Ronny, let me know if you plan to put the original steering damper assembly back in - I still have some new old stock parts to suit.

Do you have a frame number? It looks K0 to me with the tube steel rear pegs/exhaust mount on the frame, but they may have done that to K1 frames too - dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Znabb View Post
    Drifter, I have understood from other projects on the forum that the 500T engine might vibrate a bit more than the 450 but I'm not going to race the bike so I'll rarely touch 10000 rpm. Matter in fact I quite enjoy the 450's vibrations (compared to my CB500 four) on long rides as I feel it stimulates the circulation in my arms, legs and back (seriously, I'm not joking). I wouldn't mind some more vibration and if it becomes too bad I can always remove the top engine mount. Some years ago I rode my CB500 four together with a guy on a stock CB500T and I had problems keeping up. He had so much torque out of the corners.

I do agree the 500T has very good torque and as long as the revs lives mostly below 7500rpm the vibtations are not not too bad. I went from a 15 to 16 tooth on my front sprocket and vibration is not a issue at cruising speed of around 110 kph. I only though vibration could be an issue as you mentioned that you wanted to bore it out to max, but if you are chasing torque more that max power output this will be a good way to go. Enjoy the build and I will definately keep an eye on this one. Looks to be very interesting.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links