Deacon's CB350
Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Deacon's CB350

Deacon's CB350

I'm not totally finished my other project, but since I'm not going to be selling it until spring I'll just pick at it over the winter. I wanted to start on the 350 before winter set in so that I could try and get it started so that I could do a bit of evaluation, especially with regard to compression.

I picked this bike up back in late October. Before even viewing the bike I pretty much decided to buy it. These bikes are, for some reason, very rare around here. This is the first vintage Japanese twin I've seen for sale in the past two years of looking, so I couldn't pass this one up. He was asking $395 but I was able to get it for $360, not a bad deal especially around here where I find bike prices to be really inflated for some reason. The deal only got sweeter as the following week he gave me a box of extra parts he had laying around for free. Great score as it contained a brand new petcock, points, condenser, brake shoes, throttle cable, spokes, plugs, plug caps, as well as some other used parts. Very generous of the seller as this was not part of the original sale, really appreciated it.

I'll be going the cafe route with this bike, but will be keeping the stock parts so that I can return it to original look if I want to change back in the future. This project is going to be a very slow and long one (especially compared to the 400 project) as I'm cash strapped and so I'll just have to work on it as funds allow. I'm not in a rush anyway as I have a daily rider anyway. I can relax and take my time. The sale of 400 in the spring will hopefully help things along.

Here is how it looked as I bought it, pretty much complete just missing a few things like tach cover, battery, fuel line and a few small things. I'm far from an expert but I don't think the mufflers are original. All three of my bikes have this same exhaust. Also, on first glance the tires looked fairly decent (lots of tread) but on closer inspection the rear is totally dry rotted. Front and rear didn't match anyway so I'll get new ones just before putting it on the road.

Overall its not in too bad a shape, far from great, but very workable. The frame has some surface rust. I was hoping the chrome on the wheels would be good but there is a fair bit of rust, looks like I'll have to end up stripping and painting them.

Last edited by longdistancerider; 09-19-2016 at 07:10 PM.
    Perry

1972 Honda CB350
    / 1978 Honda XL250S / 1982 Honda MB5 / 2014 Honda CB500X
    Riding Through the Fog

Re: Deacon's 1972 CB350 Cafe Project

Before winter hits I really wanted to start up the bike to see how it runs, check compression and run through the gears. So I changed the oil, put some fresh gas in, put on a new fuel hose and hooked up my KZ battery. No luck, it turned over but wouldn't catch Never had much time so I just left it at that. The ignition bits looked real rusty so I figured they might be the culprit.

Pulled the right side carb off last night and found at least one of the causes of it not starting, the engine wasn't getting any gas. Before pulling the carb I unscrewed the drain screw to get all the gas out...not a drop came out, totally dry. Here is why...

Looks like I have my work cut out for me here
    Perry

1972 Honda CB350
    Riding Through the Fog

I have seen many a bike that has sat for decades....
    I seen really REALLY bad carbs, but I've never seen that type of goo in a carb.
    What is that white stuff ?
    RicH2 - I Am A Smoker ....'65 Black Bomber - '74 Kawasaki H2 - '77 RD400 - '69 Kawasaki F3 Bushwacker - '67 Kawasaki C2 120ss - '10 R1200R BMW - 14 Bonneville T100SE (Gotta have something reliable !)

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I'm not really sure. It's very powdery. I rebuilt a brake master cylinder before and it looked exactly like this, but never a carb. The gas tank is lined with a something that is the same colour, wondering if its related? I've never seen Kreme used before, does this look like a Kreme liner? I've used POR-15 before and its silver.

Perry

1972 Honda CB350
    Riding Through the Fog

Looks like somebody used the tank to mix cookie dough.

Congratulations on a great acquisition. Looks like you've got all the parts
    there to make whatever you like from it.
    JT
    81 CM400T Under re-construction
    82 GL500

When you're done with the bike ship it out to Calgary for me would ya.
    1975 CB360 Gutted Cafe Rat Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    2 X 1979 RD400 Daytona Specials

Yeah, that looks like Kreem - it was obviously done with the cap still on there.....
    The vent on the gas cap is messed up now - you'll have to remove the cap and soak it in acetone to get that crap out.

New rubber o-rings are still available from Honda for not much $$$$...
    Bill Lane
    Honda Twins Founding Member

No advice, just info

'75 CB200T, '71 CB450 K4 Half-Breed, '72 CL350 (Sold), '81 CM200T, '72 C70M
    and a little red Chineeze scooter

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cb450-restoration

Just my opinion, but I have seen that "stuff" in carbs before....I believe it's the remnants of tetra-ethyl leaded fuel reacted with the other metals as the fuel evaporates.... Do NOT be surprised if the alloy carb body itself is covered with "pits" beneath that when you finally get it off....On 350 carbs that can cause problems with removal and resealing the jets (pitted passage).... It might be replacement or Mikuni time....
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

I was able to get the jets out pretty easily, they don't look too bad but I'll check the passages as you mentioned Steve.

You may be right about the tetra-ethyl leaded fuel, or the bike may have been used to smuggle some cocaine into Newfoundland

The Kreem job looks a mess, not a neat job done at all, especially around the filler cap. Looking inside it doesn't look too bad, but I still wish it wasn't lined at all.
    Perry

1972 Honda CB350
    Riding Through the Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbag
    When you're done with the bike ship it out to Calgary for me would ya.
    Better yet, I'll make a road trip out of it and ride it out.
    Perry

1972 Honda CB350
    Riding Through the Fog

Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links