Steering Triple Tree Identification
    Junior Member edward_thompson20@hotmail's Avatar

Steering Triple Tree Identification

Hey Guru's & Experts,
    Working on a CB350 restoration with left overs from a previous build. Have a Steering Triple Tree with no Top Bridge Clamp. I believe the standard Fork Centre distance is 165mm, but the one I have measures 172mm.
    Anyone know which model it may be from so I can track one down? Steering Triple Tree Identification-20191110_191934-0-.jpg
    Steering Triple Tree Identification-20191110_191934.jpg

The K3 and older models used those forks. You need the correct axle and top bridge. Top bridge is easy to find as they don't break in the same way the later ones do if not properly assembled.

Hi, I think I have the correct axle & triple tree. I have assembled the forks with that triple tree & the wheel hub. Everything is parallel & looks good. From my searches the top bridge clamp 53231-317-000 from my parts manual has a fork centre distance spacing of approx 165mm. My triple tree needs approx 172mm spacing. So I guess that's no good for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

You are trying to use the early forks with the later triple tree parts. If you use the K4/K5 top then the forks will have to be clamped past the necked down area.

Steering Triple Tree Identification-dsc02915.jpg

Ok, But I should be able to find the Top Bridge Clamp to match the triple tree shouldn't I? Part No ?

Yes, there are several that can be used, but they all will clamp with those tubes "pushed" upwards beyond the necked-down /shouldered areas and will look "awkward" and reduce height, rake angle, and trail of the forks, making the bike less stable at speed.......
    You would be MUCH better off running the correct set of triple-trees for those fork tubes.....
    However, if you wish to continue along your current path, part numbers for the bridges that will match your current stem and bracket are listed below :
    53231-317-701
    53231-317-702
    53230-369-000
    53230-369-305
    There are others as well, but you should use the correct forks in them.......
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 11-14-2019 at 11:22 PM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Hi, Thanks for the part No's. I'm going to do more research now based on your info. I did buy another triple tree complete only to find that the stem was to short for the frame. I may end up a lot of spare trees & clamps.
    But I guess that's the challenge of doing something like this, you go down one path but might end up with something completely different. We'll see.
    Cheers & safe riding.

Sponsored Links