1971 Cl350 shifting problems
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1971 Cl350 shifting problems

I have a 1971 CL350 scrambler. I've put quite a bit of work in this thing since the beginning of summer. I just got it to run after a clutch rebuild and an oil change. Got it out on the road started it. Shifted to first fine but got stuck in that gear. I'm a first time bike owner with little experience. I got this bike from my dad. I've tried adjusting the clutch but with it pushing as hard as it can it wont shift to neutral. Im pretty sure there is no slack in the cable. Tried rocking it back and forth but it took me half an hour to get it to shift to neutral. Started it up and it got stuck in gear again. My clutch lever feels stuck and I feel no shifting. No matter what I do it wont shift right. Any ideas.

Disconnect the clutch cable and ensure that it moves both ways smoothly. Then adjust the clutch according to the factory service manual.

You do have the factory service manual, right?
    JT
    81 CM400T

Is the shift lever still tight on the splines?
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

This bike was bought at a garage sale from an old man with no title and in ruff shape. I've already put $800 into it just this summer now the only thing left is the clutch. No I have no manual. I believe my clutch is catching and not releasing correctly. My pushrod does force the plates out but the mechanism doesnt release. If I pull the clutch I can push the bike but still with resistance. It was my first time doing a clutch so I need to take the cover off and see what's going on. The shift lever has a little slack for about an eighth of and inch and half way the clutch releases and I can push the bike but it wont release and alow me to shift. There also is a green wire cut to the left of the pushrod in the left clutch cover. It shifted into low with ease but is now stuck. Before I did the clutch it shifted just fine.

Sounds like you either have the clutch plates and metal plates stacked wrong or an additional metal plate got added in. If you pulled the left side cover or even if you didn't, check to be sure the small ball is in the clutch adjuster. You can look at a parts diagram to get the correct position for all these parts.

$800 .... well I usually expect to put $1500 into a bike including an engine refresh.... little black holes of money, frustration but ultimately fun ... or back into another garage sale.

It doesn't matter what shape the clutch is in, you should be able to rock the machine forwards and backwards(engine off) and shift into all the gears. Pull the right side crankcase back off and check out the shifter arm behind the clutch/primary gear. Watch the arm as you work the shifter to see if it is engaging the shift drum to roll it into the gear positions. Is the clip/flat washer still on the shifter shaft, near the front sprocket? Did it ever shift correctly? Perhaps the PO has hit the shifter with something that bent the centering pin/spring in the shift arm, behind the clutch.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

I fired it up and tested it out. It shifts into 1st really easy. I have to pull up with my hands hard and it shifts right into neutral but it wont shift higher. I'll take the cover off again.

Quote Originally Posted by BandofArms20 View Post
    I fired it up and tested it out. It shifts into 1st really easy. I have to pull up with my hands hard and it shifts right into neutral but it wont shift higher. I'll take the cover off again.
    PM sent
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

No idea what PM is. But I took the cover off. But I need a spanner tool so I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by BandofArms20 View Post
    No idea what PM is.
    Private message - look for the 1 beside the "Notifications" next to your username at the upper right, as in "you have a private message waiting"
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links