My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project

This looks fun , what's the plans for the exhaust ?

Hi Simo !

Yes, the exhaust is exercising me somewhat.

My plan is that is going to be a long term project, keep me out of mischief for a few months, so exhaust is on the back burner at the moment.

In an ideal world, an SL175 system would go on. However, these are rare and expensive, and I doubt that it would fit the CB frame without extensive mods, so it'll probably simpler to build ( or get built ) a custom system. Also, for an off road bike, it seems mad to run the pipes under the frame. Despite the stock bash plates, used pipes I've seen on line are often well dented.

I don't want to go for a high level CL type system. Pipes will be in matt black heatproof paint on mild steel, not chromed or stainless tube. So, bend some 38mm tube to make a 2:1 system similar to the SL, with an silencer can in the SL position is one possibility.

My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project-sl350.jpg

Or, perhaps simpler but heavier, something like the SL350 system, with individual exhaust pipes and a can on either side. That could be achieved using the stock CB down pipes, extended with 38mm tube with a 30 degree mandrel bend to flip the end of the pipes up, into silencers mounted in the SL350 style.

For silencer(s), I'm looking at Triumph Street Triple 675 cans. These are available very cheaply on Ebay, many owners ditching them in favour of noisy straight through 'race' exhausts. No catalytic converter in them, I won't get caught like that again.

My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project-strip675.jpg

( I fitted a Triumph Scrambler can to my CL175, couldn't work out why it was getting too hot to touch, until it dawned on me that the internal catalyst was struggling to cope with rich carburetted exhaust gases ! ) The Street and Speed Triples have the catalyst in pipework closer to the engine.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet
    1970 - 1972 Random heap of CB/CL/SL 175 parts, slowly being reassembled ..

CD250u forks stripped and cleaned.

They came apart really easily, didn't need the electric impact wrench, fork bottom allen bolts came out without a problem. Similarly, no internal circlip retaining the fork seals, just a simple wire ring, easily fished out using a small screwdriver.

Nothing prepared me for the mess though. I just assumed that ancient leaking forks would be almost empty, instead of which floods of filthy black oil poured out. And after the oil came out, fork internals were still filthy. No real signs of wear, so this muck must get past the seals over the years.

Fork top bolts had been butchered, apparently by a chimp using a pipe wrench. Luckily, I found some marginally better ones in my box of bits. Same ones used on CB200, CB400/4 etc.

My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project-20190818_132517.jpg

Fork bottoms cleaned and painted, using Metal Protekt aluminium coloured direct to metal paint. I'd intended to use this on the frame parts, but I think it is a bit too bright, Hammerite silver may be more suitable.

Ready to reassemble now, got the fork seals, just need to get some fork oil, 150ml each side, probably go for 10w.

My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project-20190818_132308.jpg
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Pitman View Post
    ...had been butchered, apparently by a chimp using a pipe wrench.
    that chimp gets around - we've seen his work on our continent too!
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

I need more paint !

Derusted and primed, thought I might as well do my spare CB175K6 tank at the same time.

Minor dents left in for authenticity. Sounds better than laziness ….

My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project-20190819_182459.jpg
    ancientdad likes this.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

I got the forks reassembled with new seals today, after a further wash with solvent to get the dregs of the black mess out of them. Remembered to put some sealant on the threads of the allen bolt at the bottom of the fork leg, to back up the existing copper washer.

I made up a fork seal driver from a length of 35mm OD stainless steel tube, and a section of 35mm PVC waste pipe, opened up with a lengthwise saw cut, so that it could be slipped over the outside of the steel tube, to make the OD big enough to bear on the outer edge of the lubricated fork seal. Worked a treat, used like a slide hammer.

Primed tanks now painted Honda Milano red, curing nicely in todays sunshine.

Some more parts of the jigsaw arrived today, an aftermarked Honda CRF front fender, and a secondhand rear fender from an SL175.

My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project-frontf.jpg My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project-rearf.jpg

Front fender looks like it will fit nicely, fits neatly under the bottom yoke, just need to make up a bracket like the original SL part. Rear fender fits snuggly between the rear frame rails, I will just have to fabricate a small matching section to fill the gap under the seat, between the integral fender in the frame, and the new part. I can also now get an idea of how a rear hoop can be fitted, to emulate the SL frame. I'll do a mockup build in the next few days, post a pic then.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

Mock up, as promised.

I was going to fit an aftermarket 'brat' seat, but it looked crap and the build quality was appalling. So I've decided to use the original CB175 K4 seat, which I think works quite well with the SL tank and rear fender. Two holes with captive nuts in the SL fender line up with the two rearmost holes in the CB frame, accident or design ?

My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project-p1120660.jpg

My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project-p1120661.jpg

I've made up a small mild steel section to fill the gap between the SL fender and the CB frame, and tack welded this to the SL fender. Will weld this up a bit better then clean and paint the whole assembly. I've also finalised the position of the tank on the frame, need to sort out the mounts now. Also make up a mount for the front fender. Get the fuel tank masked up ready for the white paint and stripe.

Crappy 'brat' seat.

My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project-p1120656.jpg
    Klaus likes this.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

Looking GOOD Richard!......
    Richard_Pitman likes this.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Yes, well cobbled-together... now for some silver paint on that frame and it will be really close (especially from the side when no one can see the single downtube)
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

I got the rear hoop fitted today.

Not without drama, tried to cut my left thumb off with a hacksaw this morning, blood everywhere, would not stop. Ended up wrapping it in adhesive tape from my car first aid kit. Didn't hurt at the time, but is throbbing like a ( insert rude word here ) at this moment.

Anyway, after cutting the extremely poor quality loop to fit, confirming my opinion of after market café racer dross, I welded it to the removeable bracket that holds the K4 rear seat hinge in place, thus avoiding cutting up the frame. I also drilled out the M6 threaded holes in the fender to M8 clearance holes, so that an M8 bolt could pass through the bracket, frame and fender, nyloc nut on the inside. Fitted small spacers between the bracket and frame, to keep everything tight.

I also made up an extension piece from 1.5mm mild steel plate, to fill the gap between the end of the fender and the frame. Lock nutted two M6 bolts through this piece, to form the mounting studs at the rear of the fender. Tack welded this from both sides of the fender. It now all needs cleaning up and painting. Red for the fender, silver for the frame.

My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project-20190823_162449.jpg My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project-20190823_162505.jpg

My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project-20190823_164006.jpg My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project-20190823_162432.jpg

My CB/CL/SL 175 resurrection project-20190823_163955.jpg

Also need to make up the little strap and rubber mount that hangs the fender to the frame loop. It will only be for show, as the fender and rear end are already very firmly mounted. I took care the loop followed the shadow left in the faded paintwork by the original frame. I know it's not quite the same, but the best I could come up with, without sawing the entire rear off the CB frame.
    Last edited by Richard_Pitman; 08-23-2019 at 02:14 PM.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links