The Money Pit 450 - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 73
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Money Pit 450

  1. #21
    Senior Member OC_Racing+Knights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    139
    Also made the plunge today and bought my first Cappellini part. Probably the cheapest thing they sell but it was cheaper than buying NOS

    Oak Creeks Finest Racing Team
    Follow our build on Instagram @ocracingknights

  2. #22
    Senior Member OC_Racing+Knights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    139
    Went ahead and put a coat of paint on the engine. Used Duplicolor 1615 which was pretty close to cloud silver. Also ordered all stainless hardware for the motor. Once I get the powdercoated pieces back, the motor is going to look pretty sharp.


    Oak Creeks Finest Racing Team
    Follow our build on Instagram @ocracingknights

  3. #23
    Junior Member Roamin_Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    18
    Did you bead blast the engine? Mines a 200 but pretty gross right now I am trying to decide if I can get away with just scrubbing with brass brushes before painting.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Senior Member OC_Racing+Knights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Roamin_Ronin View Post
    Did you bead blast the engine? Mines a 200 but pretty gross right now I am trying to decide if I can get away with just scrubbing with brass brushes before painting.
    I did not. Oven cleaner, brake cleaner, wire brush, and elbow grease.
    Oak Creeks Finest Racing Team
    Follow our build on Instagram @ocracingknights

  6. #25
    Senior Member FrisianWheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Baku / Azerbaijan
    Posts
    430

    The Money Pit 450

    Is that a crack in your intake valve cover on the picture before you painted the engine? But you're going to replace the covers anyway, right?
    The fork bridge can be welded if you find a capable welder. Don't throw it away because replacement bridges are getting rare.
    Last edited by FrisianWheel; 07-28-2019 at 02:28 PM.
    Gunnar

    1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T
    1972 CB450 K5 - in progress

  7. #26
    Senior Member OC_Racing+Knights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by FrisianWheel View Post
    Is that a crack in your intake valve cover on the picture before you painted the engine? But you're going to replace the covers anyway, right?
    The fork bridge can be welded if you find a capable welder. Don't throw it away because replacement bridges are getting rare.
    Yes, intake cover is broken, but I have several replacement sets, one of which is getting powdercoated right now.

    I kept the fork bridge as a last resort for me to weld up, but I am supposed to have one picked up at Road America this weekend by a friend.
    Oak Creeks Finest Racing Team
    Follow our build on Instagram @ocracingknights

  8. #27
    Senior Member FrisianWheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Baku / Azerbaijan
    Posts
    430
    Are you also planning to have a look inside the engine after it has been painted? Considering the condition of the outside of the engine it couldn't hurt to have a look inside while you working on your project. I couldn't believe what I've found in my 450 engine but I had to open it anyway.
    Gunnar

    1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T
    1972 CB450 K5 - in progress

  9. #28
    Senior Member OC_Racing+Knights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by FrisianWheel View Post
    Are you also planning to have a look inside the engine after it has been painted? Considering the condition of the outside of the engine it couldn't hurt to have a look inside while you working on your project. I couldn't believe what I've found in my 450 engine but I had to open it anyway.
    The engine actually ran quite strong before disassembly, with both cylinders over 150 PSI cold. I’ll check valves and stuff like that, but internally I’ll leave it alone.
    FrisianWheel likes this.
    Oak Creeks Finest Racing Team
    Follow our build on Instagram @ocracingknights

  10. #29
    Senior Member OC_Racing+Knights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    139
    I did manage to score what I think is a pretty rare piece. It should be here on Wednesday but I'll give you a clue. It starts with an H and rhymes with looker.
    Oak Creeks Finest Racing Team
    Follow our build on Instagram @ocracingknights

  11. #30
    Senior Member OC_Racing+Knights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    139
    Cannot wait to find out what this Hooker exhaust sounds like on the 450. I tried looking online but found no videos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Money Pit 450-fbe60e95-c408-4174-9206-c210f031e298_1564606726424.jpg  
    Oak Creeks Finest Racing Team
    Follow our build on Instagram @ocracingknights

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •