The $100 Honda CA175 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The $100 Honda CA175

The frame rust was a disappointment and above my skill to repair but my painter works for an automotive paint supplier and teaches bodywork. So it went off to him along with the plastic reproduction side covers, swingarm, CB175 headlight ears, and CL175K0 headlight shell. He's a busy guy who has to travel quite a lot for his job so I settled in for an extended wait and to acquiring parts and building components.

One of the first up was to build the all important wheels. The CL125A hubs were trash. The front was broken and the rear was rusted beyond saving. I wanted really good braking so a double leading shoe had to go up front. Again, my friend Gary came through with a CJ360T front wheel in great condition and I found an inexpensive CB175 hub for the rear. The CJ360 front brake should give the kind of stopping power that I had on my old Yamaha CS3B 200.

Since I wanted to go with more sporting look and performance I decided to use 18 inch alloy rims with a size up in tires from what came on a CL175K0. I wound up with using an NOS Yamaha SC500 2.15 x 18 rim I had for the rear and an aftermarket 1.85 x 18 for the front, both 36 spoke flanged alloy. The tires are a 90/90-18 Avon Roadrider rear and a 3.00-18 Avon Streetrider front.

Here are a few pictures of the buildup.

The 0 Honda CA175-20190208_164813.jpg
    The 0 Honda CA175-20190225_140803.jpg
    The 0 Honda CA175-20190301_125943.jpg
    The 0 Honda CA175-20190328_162645.jpg
    Last edited by Guylr; 07-10-2019 at 07:36 AM.
    Pops and OldTwinsRock like this.

Suspension for the $100 Honda. The CL125A fork tubes were heavily rusted so I fished around and found a pair of '73 CB200 legs for a great price of $50 (I still owe you Jack) and in my stash of stuff a nice pair of barely used Koni shocks with appropriate springs that were only 1/4 inch longer than the frozen up CL125A pogo sticks. A good start.

Making them fit. The CB forks are the later type that need a fork crown with pinch bolts to secure the tubes. So back to eBay to find compatible parts. The offset on the later fork crowns is a little different so the CL underbracket would not work. I came up with an SL175 underbracket that matched a CB crown and I thought I was in business. Wrong! It seems that the pressed steel model frames use a steering stem tube that is 25mm longer than the ones on the tube frame bikes. How to fix it? Well you could grind the weld on the CL125A bracket and press out the stem or you could cut a section of it 25mm longer than a section from the SL tube an weld them together. I wanted to go with the first method but the top diameter of the CL tube was 1mm smaller than the SL so that the crown would need a thin bushing to fit up snugly. Since I had already cut out both tubes my friend Chuck was able to take the bottom section of the CL tube and the top section of the SL and weld then together with a slug in the middle to provide strength and the proper alignment. Triple trees done.

The forks legs themselves were in good shape with just a blown seal on the right side and even the rubber gaiters are in fine shape. After an easy disassembly, cleanup, new seals and 5oz. of some ancient Yamalube 10wt fork oil each from my shelf they are ready to go. So here's that painted frame? Wish my painter would call me back

The 0 Honda CA175-20190411_145812.jpg
    The 0 Honda CA175-20190411_150328.jpg
    The 0 Honda CA175-20190711_145838.jpg
    Last edited by Guylr; 07-11-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    OldTwinsRock likes this.

Nice work, coming right along.

Quote Originally Posted by Guylr View Post
    ...than the frozen up CL125A pogo sticks.

and 5oz. of some ancient Yamalube 10wt fork oil each from my shelf they are ready to go.
    Blasphemy!
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Nice work, coming right along.

and 5oz. of some ancient Yamalube 10wt fork oil each from my shelf they are ready to go.

Blasphemy!
    Just having the Honda in my garage is blasphemy

Just having the Honda in my garage is blasphemy
    Oh the horror... of the Honda surrounded by the arch-rival Yamaha!
    Tom

This thing could turn out to be a real mutt...or a glorious combination of the best of both worlds!

I'm impressed with your vision and creative genius Guy, but mostly your frugal nature!
    Butch
    72 SL350 Basket Case

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thanks Pops but the parts bill is adding up fast. Yeah, I'm cheap. I'll total it all up at the end and it will probably knock me silly.
    Last edited by Guylr; 07-11-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks Pops but the parts bill is adding up fast. Yeah, I'm cheap. I'll total it all up at the end and it will probably knock me silly.
    That happens to most of us here... I personally have (including the used bike purchase price) about $8500 in my 450 - but I did what I really wanted to do with a bike for the first time in over 25 years, and I have no plans to sell it either. If you go too much on the cheap, you probably won't be as happy with it in the end and have regrets about what you could have done
    Tom

Parts is Parts

I'm not sure what counterman came up with the saying, 'Parts is Parts' but it's one I heard all through my career in motorsports. I love to get an OE NOS or really good used part for one of my projects like the clutch cable and headlight below but sometimes it just makes better sense to go with an alternative. New OE parts for all my Yamahas aren't as much of a problem because I hoarded lots of them over the years and luckily Yamaha allows its retirees to buy parts at employee prices. That helps a lot for common items like bearings and seals. I hope you won't be offended if you guys pick out a Yamaha part or two on this bike but I will only have used them when the repro Honda parts were low quality or the OE parts were ridiculously pricey.

I had hopes for the coil on the CL125A because the secondary tested at 13k ohms, alas the primary was open. I wasn't about to pay over $100 for an NOS Honda part that nobody would ever see tucked way up inside the frame so a $15 Chinese part will do with the still good original high tension leads plugged into it.

Some of the repro Asian parts are really quite good too like the CD175 seat cover that came from Thailand and the seat I used it on came out very nice. That said you have to be prepared to be disappointed and or have to do some reworking on those "bargain" parts. I also reserve the right on this bike to use cool parts like the shielded plug caps that may not have come on the original bike because, remember this 'CS175' is one Honda never made. It's just 'part' of the fun for me.

About that CL175 headlight beam. For some unexplained reason I'm going to keep the bike's 6 volt electrics so I'll be doing the conversion of the beam reflector to H4 so that I can use either a 6v 35/35W halogen or a 6v LED bulb in it. This beam is good with both 12v high and low filaments working so it would be a shame to destroy it if someone out there needs it for a perfect restoration. I'm therfore willing to trade it for one with blown filaments.

The 0 Honda CA175-20190713_113420.jpg
    The 0 Honda CA175-20190713_113612.jpg
    The 0 Honda CA175-20190713_114037.jpg
    The 0 Honda CA175-20190702_111222.jpg
    The 0 Honda CA175-20190713_113442.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links