SL350 project - simple they said.........
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: SL350 project - simple they said.........

SL350 project - simple they said.........

Hi, after introducing myself last year I have spent a bit of time on here looking at all the excellent projects and advice freely given to others.
    Well anyway, I guess its about time i made a start on a little project I picked up last year. It has sat for a bit at the back of my garage as not had the time and space to make much of a start.
    Finally I have taken the plunge and for what its worth, thought i would try and document it, including all the mistakes im bound to make, and avail myself of the evident expertise available on here.

So here goes with what is my first restoration.

Its an SL350k2 in Marina blue I believe, picked it up in the UK from a dealer who regularly brings US bikes over to the UK.
    Bought it blind, trusting the description from said reputable source. Yes i know, first big mistake, I've never ever bought a bike like this before and always viewed in person......

Anyway, known issues were shared and a box of parts arrived with the bike.
    Once ensconced in the garage i go through the paperwork and find its already been added to the Nova data base here, previously imported to the uk and not directly from my seller as thought. No matter, will need help getting a dating certificate to register over here but that's a way off yet as need to get it up and running with MOT for the UK licencing.

So from the picture it looks kind of ok, a bit tatty and used you might say. It has a patched clutch case and a broken gear change spline. Second hand clutch case and new gear linkage included in the box of bits.
    Its also running some non standard silencers which will be swapped for the correct pipes.
    Tank is battered with dents and poor paint but lovely and shiny on the inside. Surprisingly clean.

Seat has an awful cover on it which is going.

The plan was to go for a respray of the Tank, side panels which came with the bike (pattern parts and unsprayed, Oh and the headlight shell. Looking to bring back to life and make it look loved again and enjoyed. Not going show stopper but want it to look nice.
    New i was going to have to get my hands dirty and figured that it would probably need a top end freshen up and maybe even a rebore.
    Plan to get the shiny bits re-chromed etc.

All good so far, two pictures showing how it looked when it arrived.

Starting to strip down so more to follow shortly......SL350 project - simple they said.........-sl350k2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SL350 project - simple they said.........-sl350k2-.jpg  
    Last edited by Matarm; 05-21-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Aaahhhhh, another SL project. Looking forward to your progress, have fun!
    Butch
    72 SL350 Basket Case

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

In case it's any help to you . . . my little SL350 thread
    CL77 (1966)
    CA77 (1966)
    SL350 K0 (1969)

SL350 K2 (1971)
    CB450 K6 (1972)
    CB750 K2 (1972)

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member chaindrivecharlie's Avatar
    Sweet!, marina blue, hello gorgeous!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
    Charlie

1972 CL 175 K6
    1972 CL 350 K4
    1981 CM 400 C

Joshua 24:15

What a great read the - chauffeur, I may need some of your uk contacts for when I come to do the rebuild as like yours - mines similar mileage - just looks like all of them were off road

Ok, so a productive evening in the garage and a lighter bike but heavier box of assorted Honda Parts.
    Going to need time to work through these to work out what can be reused and what I can add to shopping list.
    Not sure about sealed beam headlights though...... cant seem to find anything suitable.

The plan was to restore to 'as standard' as possible but given general scarcity of parts it may become a non standard street scrambler at this rate.

Wiring loom off and worse than anticipated, going to need to make a replacement which will be interesting given i've never done it before..... its only wires right, how hard can it be ........

rock hard wires inside the handle bars make for a lot of fun removing as the bars will need to be re-chromed too and new switches fitted.

Anyway pic attached of partial strip down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SL350 project - simple they said.........-sl350k2b.jpg   SL350 project - simple they said.........-sl350k2c.jpg  
    Last edited by Matarm; 05-22-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    chaindrivecharlie and Pops like this.

And the right way up this time...SL350 project - simple they said.........-sl350k2d.jpg
    doh, cant seem to get this one the right way up even though i saved it the correct way.....
    Last edited by Matarm; 05-22-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    chaindrivecharlie likes this.

Member sonreip can help with the wire and connections. Try blowing a strong string thru the handle bars to pull the new wire thru the bar when ready to reinstall.

I will probably catch some flack from the following but here goes. I have rewired several bikes that where fire damaged or wiring torn out for one reason or another. I dont always follow the original dia. Just make sure you log all changes and your own dia so it can be repaired by you or the next owner if needed. I log the color, where it starts , where it goes and what its for. Anyway it works for me.

Bill

Thanks Bill H, sounds sensible - if any one asks though i'm following the wiring diagram ;o)
    chaindrivecharlie likes this.

Ok, so just to bring up to date, pic of the damaged clutch housing, that must have been one hell of a bang to hole that......SL350 project - simple they said.........-sl350k2e.jpg
    chaindrivecharlie and Pops like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links