Budget 450 drag bike project
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Budget 450 drag bike project

I hesitate to start this thread so early, as it will span over what will probably be a ridiculous amount of time... but I was afforded such a great start to this effort that I wanted to make mention of things before the moment got cold. During our awesome, circuitous trip through the Carolinas culminating in the Meltdown Vintage show weekend, HT member 12ozPBR and I cooked up a nice deal for both of us - I had some trading material and he graciously sourced some parts I'd been unable to afford previously and had lost hope that I'd be able to accumulate for my second 450 project (this is why I live in t-shirts and blue jeans, eat at home from my wife's kitchen almost always and rarely vacation anywhere ). The trip was both enjoyable and fruitful, and as a result I'm now the proud owner of my long-sought-after 4 speed bottom end, almost entirely complete, and a good used CB450K6 frame with no title which is immaterial to my plans. Oh, and one bonus in the deal... an excellent, hand-crafted engine stand for all my future 450 rebuilds courtesy of one of the nicest guys in SC. He donated his to me and plans to build another one for himself, that's the kind of quality individual he is.

So the lift is now occupied with the start of the next endeavor... and a trip to the local outdoor scrapyard near me that I previously posted will be in order, to find a small front end and the other running gear missing from the minimums it will need to be a roller, and then the big disassembly of at least one of my two spare engines to scavenge additional parts for the top end. This will give me the opportunity to finally use the bigger cams I got from Terry Naughtin (.414" lift, 280° duration) and go total loss on the ignition, along with more of the same or better that was done to my street-legal bike. SO looking forward to getting this started...

first, a new memento for the garage from the area - to be more appropriately mounted later when I get the ladder out of the corner, along with the entire poster set from the Meltdown show history

Budget 450 drag bike project-20190502_100850.jpg

and the goods, including the engine stand on the right

Budget 450 drag bike project-20190502_100656.jpg

the little red monster will undoubtedly be giving this pile the stinkeye as it watches the slow progress... and it will be slow (unless some magic cash windfall comes my way)
    Alan F., Pops, 12ozPBR and 1 others like this.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Wow, that sounds like another great bike will be in the making soon. I‘m looking forward following your project no matter how slow it is and I‘m already curious about the color scheme
    Please don’t get me wrong but budget...? Lol I think we all have the tendency to wanting to make things better the second time...
    Last edited by FrisianWheel; 05-02-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    ancientdad likes this.
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T
    1972 CB450 K5 - in progress

Congratulations, and good luck on your endeavors of high speed!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cb360j View Post
    Congratulations, and good luck on your endeavors of high speed!
    thanks - but I'm pretty familiar with the challenge of going as fast and quick as one can in 1320 feet (or 660 depending on the track available) and frankly, I missed doing it over the last 40+ years since I was a regular participant until recently

Budget 450 drag bike project-my-honda-450-lakeland-1975.jpg Budget 450 drag bike project-my-honda-450-twin-city-1974-time-ticket.jpg Budget 450 drag bike project-img_0533.jpg
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by FrisianWheel View Post
    Wow, that sounds like another great bike will be in the making soon. I‘m looking forward following your project no matter how slow it is and I‘m already curious about the color scheme
    Please don’t get me wrong but budget...? Lol
    thanks Gunnar... but this one will HAVE to built more cheaply as the budget demands so, and as for the color scheme... lots of rattle-can gloss and satin black is likely and a splash of silver and red here and there depending on the accompanying pieces
    Tom

Perhaps some of us that do diy zinc and nickel plating can lend a hand with adding some shine here and there.
    12ozPBR likes this.
    CB250 Nighthawk projects 92,93,92.
    CM400C Sold 7-21-18 It's been fun, buh-bye.
    Fork Swap info: http://sites.google.com/site/alansdocuments/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan F. View Post
    Perhaps some of us that do diy zinc and nickel plating can lend a hand with adding some shine here and there.
    Alan, that would be great... I know a lot of the stuff that comes from Mauro's outdoor boneyard near me will be heavily rusted. I'm going to look for a small front end like from a 125 to 175, plus a complete rear wheel from a 450 or 500T and much of that hardware will need some cleanup. Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind!
    Alan F. likes this.
    Tom

Senior Member chaindrivecharlie's Avatar
    Tom, is Lovengreens boneyard still in north Tampa? Man we use to scrounge that place for parts!😎
    Im for sure subscribing to this, is that stand set up for the front of the engine?
    Last edited by chaindrivecharlie; 05-02-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    Charlie

1972 CL 175 K6
    1972 CL 350 K4
    1981 CM 400 C

Joshua 24:15

Tom, I feel like I have invested interest in this project so I’m really looking forward to this one coming together, no matter how long it takes. Good luck with it!
    Runners
    1971 Triumph Tiger
    1972 CL350
    1974 XL350
    1974 CB450

Current Project
    1966 CB450 Black Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by chaindrivecharlie View Post
    Tom, is Lovengreens boneyard still in north Tampa? Man we use to scrounge that place for parts!��
    Im for sure subscribing to this, is that stand set up for the front of the engine?
    Lovengreen's was actually in northwest Tampa, on Dale Mabry just south of Waters... but it's been gone for years. It was the very first place I ever worked, for a couple months in the spring of '70 and only on Saturday mornings. I used to break stuff down and hang up the parts, mostly gas tanks and fenders. I think John gave me a job to make my Dad happy, as we were in there a lot ourselves and I'm quite sure my Dad talked him into it - kinda like my first real bike job at Honda Village later that year during summer vacation from school, when my Dad told Albert "Chic" Fortna Jr. shortly after he opened the place in that dump strip center on Nebraska north of Bearss that I knew as much as anyone he had working for him... (while I was cringing standing next to him thinking "Daddy, what the hell are you doing??"). I used to get John's lunch every Saturday at the Tennessean restaurant on my lime green CA72, then shortly after lunch he'd close up and I was done for the morning. He died in '85 I think - hard to believe it's been that long - and his wife ran the place for a little while, then sold off as much as she could and closed it up. The building is gone now too, empty lot next to Joe Finan's still-standing House (formerly Kawasaki) Cycle World... check these out

Budget 450 drag bike project-lovengreen-card.jpg Budget 450 drag bike project-tennessean.jpg

and yes, Chris set up the stand to fit the front of the engine using the motor mount plates and one of the 2 large bolts underneath in the rear
    Last edited by ancientdad; 06-08-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    Tom

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links