1972 CL175 restoration - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Senior Member chaindrivecharlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sheboygan, Wisconsin
    Posts
    641
    Look at this on ebay, hope this helps.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F401755492898
    Charlie

    1972 CL 175 K6
    1972 CL 350 K4
    1981 CM 400 C

    Joshua 24:15

  2. #22
    Senior Member chaindrivecharlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sheboygan, Wisconsin
    Posts
    641
    Charlie

    1972 CL 175 K6
    1972 CL 350 K4
    1981 CM 400 C

    Joshua 24:15

  3. #23
    Senior Member Simo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,740
    The spline on that ebay part looks trashed, but the gear might be ok.
    Any vert engine cb/cl/cd 175 or cb/cl200 use the same gear

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Senior Member chaindrivecharlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sheboygan, Wisconsin
    Posts
    641
    Gavin, Simo did a build that was monumental! And is a great source of interchangable parts knowledge on these small twins!
    Heres Simons post, you should go read it. It will inspire you and inform you,
    Cl175 dropped on a beach rebuild (Now a running 200cc) https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18520
    Charlie

    1972 CL 175 K6
    1972 CL 350 K4
    1981 CM 400 C

    Joshua 24:15

  6. #25
    Member gavinbpugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Denton, Texas
    Posts
    47
    Great resource! Thanks for that. I'm waiting to see if a cheaper kickstart gear shows up on ebay. Until then I'll be working on rebuilding forks and cleaning/replacing other various parts. Will post updates soon!
    1972 CL175 (rebuilding)
    1981 CM400E (recently sold)

  7. #26
    Member gavinbpugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Denton, Texas
    Posts
    47
    It's been awhile since my last update. I've got the pistons removed and a new set ordered. I found a kickstart pinion for a steal on ebay, and am now working to get the valve covers off to remove and lap the valves/clean the heads.

    The valve covers are jammed on there. The 20mm socket quickly stripped the heads, and I've only managed to get one of the covers off. Any suggestions? I will be purchasing replacement covers in the meantime!

    1972 CL175 restoration-20190706_152651.jpg
    Last edited by gavinbpugh; 07-06-2019 at 09:32 PM.
    1972 CL175 (rebuilding)
    1981 CM400E (recently sold)

  8. #27
    Super Moderator ancientdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Nature Coast FL
    Posts
    8,431
    Did you use a 6 point or 12 point socket on the valve covers? When they get overtightened (usually by a PO who doesn't realize tightening them tighter won't help a minor leak, as it just needs a new o-ring), the only way to get them loose without damage is a 6 point wrench or socket

    BTW, attachment not there
    Tom

    CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

    Budget drag bike project

    Ride along at the drag strip



    running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

  9. #28
    Sensei 66Sprint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Posts
    25,723
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinbpugh View Post
    Attachment 285582

    It's been awhile since my last update. I've got the pistons removed and a new set ordered. I found a kickstart pinion for a steal on ebay, and am now working to get the valve covers off to remove and lap the valves/clean the heads.

    The valve covers are jammed on there. The 20mm socket quickly stripped the heads, and I've only managed to get one of the covers off. Any suggestions? I will be purchasing replacement covers in the meantime!
    The tappet covers take 19 mm tools... Six point sockets are preferable....
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

  10. #29
    Member gavinbpugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Denton, Texas
    Posts
    47
    Tried to fix this picture--hopefully that helps. I was using 6-point sockets. I'll keep whacking on them tomorrow.
    1972 CL175 (rebuilding)
    1981 CM400E (recently sold)

  11. #30
    Member gavinbpugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Denton, Texas
    Posts
    47
    Okay, it appears no amount of force can budge the covers without the aluminum stripping out.

    I'm thinking I might try to drill them out, but then again I'd hate to risk stripping the cover threads and ruining the head...
    1972 CL175 (rebuilding)
    1981 CM400E (recently sold)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. New member - 1968 CL175 sloper barnbike restoration in Boston area
    By Jsutton24 in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-20-2019, 11:37 AM
  2. $30 1968 CL175 K0 total restoration
    By Jsutton24 in forum Project Logs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2019, 06:03 AM
  3. CL175 K5 Side Cover Restoration - Strato Blue
    By bradalden in forum Miscellaneous Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2015, 09:33 AM
  4. 1971 CL175 Restoration/ Frankenstein build
    By BiellaBound in forum Engine Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-07-2015, 09:38 AM
  5. Replies: 153
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 06:27 PM