An Idiot and his SL350.

An Idiot and his SL350.

I've had an SL350K1 for about 7 years now, but have not spent any time preparing it to run on the street. It has always started first or second kick, until I started messing with it. I need someone to save me and this motorcycle.

Last fall, I finally got around to cleaning the rust from the tank. I cleaned the carbs, but it back together and she started right up, however, it wouldn't idle. Someone suggested that I had switched the slides and they were correct.

A week later, I tried again, the right cylinder was fine, the left would not fire. However, the right would idle. I assumed some trash was in the left carb.

I put it aside for awhile and days became months. I few weeks ago, I got its back out and decided to start from scratch. I had some coils from Common Motor Collective, a condenser and points. I started with the valves, installed the points, coils and condenser, set the timing, cleaned the carbs again. Pulled the spark plugs, cleaned and gapped them. Still would not fire. I looked at the plugs while kicking and the spark seemed a little yellow. I decided to go back to scratch and put the original coils back in. Still won't start. Not even a pop.

Somewhere, I know I screwed up something. Any ideas? Would love any and all suggestions.

I few years ago I put a few spoonfuls of Marvel Mystery Oil down the spark plug holes in hopes of preventing rust in the cylinders and rings. Quite a bit of carbon on the plugs after that initial false start.
    Battery is only a year old and is charged.
    Fuses are good.
    Kill switch is on.
    The green light on the headlamp is on.

Thanks in advance.

"Dance as if no one is looking."
    2014 Honda NC700XDCT
    1971 SL350K1

It is very easy to time the points in on the exhaust rather than compression stroke (180 out)...... ABSOLUTE correct indicator of compression stroke is the intake valve for that cylinder will have just opened and closed leaving about a third of a crank turn CCW before the LF or F alignment..... Feel free to phone while at bike.....540-525-5199...Steve
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Great Looking bike!! Following, good luck.
    1970 SL350K0 running starting full resto
    1970 SL350K0 Donor bike for above (will have extra parts if interested message me)
    1972 SL175K1 current reassembly
    1973 SL125K2 basket case
    1972 SL100K2 (1) running (1) basket case
    1982 CB450SC'82 Full rebuild/Custom
    1984 125M trike running

Tim

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Searching the internet today I stumbled on a video on the spark advance mechanism. There is a sleeve that can be 180 out that would stop the engine from running. will have a go at that tomorrow.
    Steve, thanks for the reminder. I will double check tomorrow. I used the thumb over the spark plug hole method to determine the compression stroke. Will double check that also.
    "Dance as if no one is looking."
    2014 Honda NC700XDCT
    1971 SL350K1

Sponsored Links