K0 CL350 project
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: K0 CL350 project

K0 CL350 project

Before I go too far on this, thought it might be OK to start a log on my project, a 1968 CL350. I have posts in engine and elsewhere regarding the project which officially began the day I acquired it, 04/06/2019. Frame shows to be 68, engine seems to be a 69 based on a website I have used.
    The bike was described as ready to ride. It wasn't, but I believe the bike to be in pretty good shape.
    Bike would start easily and quickly with kick or electric, but would not develop any RPM past 1500 or so. Idle was erratic.
    Currently, it doesn't run. Both carbs are off as well as the tank.
    Tank had trash in it clogging the petcock, which was damaged. Barely any flow from fuel lines or tank balancing lines initially.
    Tank has been flushed with very hot water until liquid flow was clear and strong. Then, used shop vacuum to suck up as much moisture as possible and air compressor to blow out all openings. Did not see much rust, scaling in tank.
    Carbs have been pulled and generally inspected. Have started superficially cleaning them with dremel and brass and steel brushes and cleaned insides of bowl and jets with carb cleaner. They were pretty clean inside, but had form a gasket material at the bowl.
    Do not plan to make any adjustments, yet until carbs have been rebuilt and air filters are in place (bike was running without filters).
    Initial spending includes:
    carb repair kit, factory air boxes, used ebay finds air cleaner covers for each side, tank mounting grommets, mirrors, Common Motor-suggested mufflers (existing were essentially baffle-less), seals for the air filter crossover connection, gas cap seal, inlet manifold rubber gaskets, petcock, mirrors, allen bolt kit (not needed, but I wanted them).
    Items wanted - coil (wire to left cylinder is melted but want to verify operation first); honda luggage rack.
    Seeking paint code/color alternates for fuel tank (have body guy who will repaint).
    Bike is Candy Red/White.
    Bike odometer shows 10K.
    Other numbers - paid $4300 for bike.
    current total expenditures with bike $4900+-.
    Bike's purpose: supplemental riding. I ride a Harley Ultra Limited daily and tour some on it. Wanted a smaller bike for running around town, to work and hitting some gravel, dirt roads. Could have done that with a brand new Suzuki VanVan 200 for about the same money and lots and lots of other benefits (warranties, better performance, etc.) but this bike mimics my first real bike, a Honda Hawk 305 Scramber I had in sixth grade and junior high. Plus I think they are cool looking.
    I am told the bike has had the rectifier/regulator upgrade performed.
    The picture is from the Craigslist listing for the bike.
    I have other images in my gallery.

K0 CL350 project-cl350.leftfront.jpg
    Last edited by f100owner; 04-09-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Me, my Dremel and my carbs had some quality time last night getting them to look a little nicer in anticipation of carb rebuild kits coming in soon. Credit card saw a little action as well as I ordered the upper and lower cushions for the handlebars. I am just under $5K in expenses (including bike cost). Insurance was added this week as well (I don't include those costs). Adding the CL lowered my insurance costs for my Ultra Limited by about $50 for the year. Insurance for the CL was $130 for the year (full coverage).

Quote Originally Posted by f100owner View Post
    I am just under $5K in expenses (including bike cost).
    don't forget the ground wire from the handlebar mount to the gauge mount for the ground continuity to the bars/switches

let me know when you get to $8500 total... that's where my 450 build is currently (but then again, I'm done too)(well, as done as a vintage bike ever is)
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like my 1981 Harley FLT project. Bike cost $2500 (from a family friend). Records show I spent about $6K on it (this was my first project ever) and then sold it for $4500. Same time, I bought a 98 883 from the family friend for about $1500. Spent $400 on tires and a battery and fluids change. Road it around for a while and sold it for about $3000.
    As to the ground. I noticed multiple places where it appeared a wire lead was wedged under frame components the like.
    Pondering as to going ahead and put in the specified battery for the bike (an AGM version of the 12n12) or leave the lead acid 12N9 battery in place until needed.
    Last edited by f100owner; 04-10-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Just to be clear, the other grounds are likely harness grounds and of course, need to be there but the one I'm referring to will cause your starter and horn buttons to be inop if you leave it off the bottom of the handlebar mount and one of the gauge mount bolts
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Well found another issue this evening. Brake lever adjusting control is broke. Previous owner was using zip tie to hold in place. What approach is used to address this issue. I see perches with mirror and brake light control plug at Common. Seems like that would be clunky, but not finding that throttle assembly, yet.
    Also, does it matter which plug a coil is connected to? Seems it might be better to have coil and cable on same side as spark plug.
    Did find the rectifier upgrade. It was mounted under battery box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    CL350K0
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 Ford F100 Flareside (project)
    2016 Ford Expedition
    2018 Ford F150

The right control, i am showing as 35300-292-670 using consolidate motor spares fiche and I found a NOS on ebay - sound of the cash register closing, again.
    K0 CL350 project-right.controls35300-292-670.jpg
    Last edited by f100owner; 04-11-2019 at 07:12 AM.

You can replace just the bottom half of the throttle-piece housing, ( that one is not original anyway, the original would NOT have contained the built-in provision for the brake-light switch)....
    Identical throttle and switch units were employed on various sized bikes of the time, almost any one (Post 1970) that ran a drum brake will work ..... CB/CL 175, CB/CL 350 (except G model), Early CB/CL 450 ....

What you get will depend on how accurate a restore you intend.........

As to the coils, the plug wire MUST connect to whichever side of the engine the point wire from that coil controls.... However, the coils themselves may be mounted to their bracket on the "wrong" physical side, or the bracket itself may have been mounted to the frame backwards... (PO's do strange things).....
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 04-11-2019 at 06:51 AM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Quote Originally Posted by f100owner View Post
    The right control, i am showing as 35300-292-670 using consolidate motor spares fiche and I found a NOS on ebay - sound of the cash register closing, again.
    IF it is the $75.99 one from Thailand I'm looking at (there are several offerings), it does NOT have the brake-light switch provision (in the pics shown) .... (It is correct for the bike's model year however as it has NO "kill" switch..) Just depends on IF you need/want the brake switch (or Kill) on your bike.....
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 04-11-2019 at 07:09 AM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Quote Originally Posted by 66Sprint View Post
    IF it is the $75.99 one from Thailand I'm looking at (there are several offerings), it does NOT have the brake-light switch provision (in the pics shown) .... (It is correct for the bike's model year however as it has NO "kill" switch..) Just depends on IF you need/want the brake switch (or Kill) on your bike.....
    Mine was not from Thailand, I don't believe. Shows to be US based.
    https://www.ebay.com/str/ebvc
    is his store.
    Thanks for the information about coil/points/wire.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links