THE KID'S CAFÉ - A 16 Year Olds First Rebuild (Project Log CB350 - 1971) - Page 2
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: THE KID'S CAFÉ - A 16 Year Olds First Rebuild (Project Log CB350 - 1971)

I turned mine into a cafe using 90% of stock parts with minimal posture change. Looks good and comfortable. Still cost me 3200$ CAN though!
    BabyBiker likes this.
    JL
    1979 CB 400 T (Cafe Racer)

Quick Update:
    After doing some more research on the frame loop I have finally made the decision. With hearing some poor things about the ebay loops from China and how thin they are, I decided to go the extra mile and have one fabricated specifically for the bike. One problem though, COST. With China filtered out of the ebay search, two pages down, I found the solution. I have been in contact with the seller and am very confident in this purchase. He is located in the UK and fabricates frame loops that he makes specifically for Café style bikes. From the photos, the quality looks amazing and the precision on the LED cut is close to none. With that said and done, I have a local welder that will do the welding for me once the part is in.

Due to the welding, the frame will have to be painted again, this time it is going to be done right. Yep, powder coated. I sent an email to a powder coater a few towns north from me explaining my situation. I told them that I definitely want the frame, swing arm, and triple tree done but will need to see the price before I consider throwing the hubs and fork sliders in the batch too.

Hope things are all good with you guys, now back to homework.
    raposa, knauff13, ctrider and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBiker View Post
    Quick Update: I have been in contact with the seller and am very confident in this purchase. He is located in the UK and fabricates frame loops that he makes specifically for Café style bikes. From the photos, the quality looks amazing and the precision on the LED cut is close to none.
    Looking forward to seeing how this build progresses...

I'm also after a frame loop of sorts, any chance of a link to the seller in the UK?
    BabyBiker likes this.
    1980, CM200T, Desert racer build...

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by raposa View Post
    Looking forward to seeing how this build progresses...

I'm also after a frame loop of sorts, any chance of a link to the seller in the UK?
    Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/183425801788?ul_noapp=true I plan on doing an in-depth review of the hoop once it is installed.
    raposa likes this.

You can build a decent, fun café bike with freshened stock suspension, a front drum brake with better shoes, and without any frame cutting. Take mine, for example...

-gas3.jpg
    1969 Honda CL350
    1983 H-D XLX-61 Sportster

Sad to be knocking a Brit business, but I do find it all bit sad, all those old bikes put to the angle grinder.

I suppose this quote from his own advert sums it up.

the're like a jack Russell on a kipper where's there's money to be made, and probably dont even know one end of a bike from another !!
    raposa and ancientdad like this.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet
    1970 - 1972 Random heap of CB/CL/SL 175 parts, slowly being reassembled ..

Quote Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
    You can build a decent, fun café bike with freshened stock suspension, a front drum brake with better shoes, and without any frame cutting. Take mine, for example...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gas3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	471.6 KB 
ID:	268292
    can I have this bike please please!!
    83XLX and bill440cars like this.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson

1970 CB350
    1974 CT70
    1977 XL75
    2005 PW80

So the powder coater got back to me today and said that they normally charge $525-$550 for everything (Frame, swingarm, triple tree, dust covers, and hubs). They concluded and said that they were very impressed with my work and that they would only charge me $350. Does this sound right? What are your guys' thoughts?

I think the price sounds about right for the extra parts you'd be getting done, in comparison to mine (frame and swingarm only, $250). If the powdercoating shop has a good rep, invest the money for the best finish. I had to do my frame twice due to a weak weld and the choice of too thin a metal chosen for the replacement rear fender mount, but it was still well worth it. The compliments I get for the finish and gloss of the frame tell the story. BTW, nice avatar is that an actual picture of you at a younger age? very cool
    BabyBiker likes this.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Super Moderator longdistancerider's Avatar
    I paid $400 to have every painted part of a CL350 powder coated, including the tool box. $350 sounds good.
    Before powder coating I'd suggest building the bike so that any tabs you want to cut off are gone, any new tabs are welded on, that way you can avoid the same situation you're in with having painted the frame already. Read this thread https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/51...stiffness.html
    BabyBiker and 540nova like this.
    Jim O'Brien
    1979 CM400T "road bike" modified for travelling
    1978 CB400T1 restored
    1972 CL350 survivor restoration

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22...d-attempt.html and https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...r-attempt.html
    Road Trip https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/11...here-i-go.html or "where's Jim now?"
    Member Map https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/dcMembermap.php

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links